PDA

View Full Version : Wheels/Tyres: - perished tyres

minstrelblue
Apr 30th, 2018, 12:48
my xc90 was fitted with 4 brand new nokian z line suv tyres in may 2016 and supplied from oponeo.co.uk and having just completed no more than 15k miles in that 2 years i was given an advisory on the MOT about the general state of the tyres, the tread depth was an easy pass but he had concerns about the cracking between grooves throughout all 4 tyres. the tyres have been regularly maintained with correct pressures, driven regularly, not left for long periods of inactivity or exposed to extreme weather, they've just been used for daily sensible driving on uk roads. The tyre date on the sidewalls has been verified to state they were manufactured in may 2016 so they have not been left on the shelf long before their sale. so i've contacted the supplier to enquire whether these tyres are under warranty for defect [ which i believe they are] and they've asked for photos. is this a manufacturing defect we'll have to see what they say but i expect they'll argue and refuse to accept its a fault

Tannaton
Apr 30th, 2018, 17:26
Would be useful if you could post the photo's - it's most unusual to hear of people complaining about Nokians on here.

kenny
Apr 30th, 2018, 17:44
I have stopped buying Nokian tyres for this very reason. This is a known issue with them. Send Nokian tyres an email with pictures as well as your supplier. There is a link on their web page. I was successful in getting a warranty claim for the ones fitted to my wife's car but I had to return them to tyreleader who then took months to send them back to Nokian. I didn't bother when the same happened with my car as they were pretty much done.

4x4
Apr 30th, 2018, 17:58
I find Michelin are the worst for side walls cracking, the tread never wears out as the side walls always crack with 60% tread still left

okedave
Apr 30th, 2018, 19:07
I find Michelin are the worst for side walls cracking, the tread never wears out as the side walls always crack with 60% tread still left

I've never experienced this issue with Michelins, Ive been use cross climates for a few years now.

TruckbusUK
May 1st, 2018, 08:14
I have stopped buying Nokian tyres for this very reason. This is a known issue with them.

I have seen one other post on the forums about Nokian Z SUV tyres cracking, and have never heard of any other problems. I remember looking at the pics posted, and my opinion was an over eager tyre sales opportunity being chased.

I'm on my 5th set of Nokian tyres, WR SUV's, Z SUV's (original and version 2) and Weatherproof ... never experienced any issues .... so I'm not sure there is a "known issue."

I must agree about cracking on Michelin and Dunlops,
I have experienced this in the past.

Some pics of the issue would be helpful as its was a MOT issue this time, so unless he is very wet behind the ears, or was also trying to sell tyres I'm interested in the development. Also out of interest, whats the DoT code from the tyres, as you may have had them fitted in 2016, but they could have keen kicking about a warehouse for several more before that!

trumpetdropper
May 1st, 2018, 13:02
I'm not sure how true this is but when I had another vehicle valeted professionally, the guy alerted me to some cracking showing on the side walls of the nearly new tyres saying that the car had previously been cleaned using acid or some other corrosive cleaner which had damaged the rubber. He went on to say that at many of these pop up hand car washes they use industrial grade washing products which are not diluted correctly, great at shifting much quickly and without much effort but are highly corrosive which can be bad for tyres and other parts of the car. Extreme care should be taken when using acid based 'over the counter' cleaners for alloy wheels too. He also believed that some of the tyre dressing sold to enhance the lustre of your tyres can have detrimental effects.
This guy may have just been touting for more business but he did seem genuinely concerned with some practices undertaken by car washing companies and the damage they can do to people's pride and joys.
Just a thought if tyres are going bad?

laundryman
May 2nd, 2018, 06:41
It would be great to get a set of tyres that would last 2 years!!

jtaw45
May 2nd, 2018, 11:02
I bought a set of 4 nokians a few years ago for my xc90 and had the same problem with cracking between the tread. There was loads of wear left on them but I had to change them. haven't bought any since.

minstrelblue
May 2nd, 2018, 13:37
will send some pics asap

minstrelblue
May 2nd, 2018, 14:01
trying to add pictures but failing miserably, not sure how to

minstrelblue
May 2nd, 2018, 14:08

minstrelblue
May 2nd, 2018, 14:11

kenny
May 2nd, 2018, 22:39
so I'm not sure there is a "known issue

Just google Nokian tyres cracking that will show you there is an issue.

TruckbusUK
May 2nd, 2018, 23:05
Just google Nokian tyres cracking that will show you there is an issue.

Likewise with any major manufacturer, Michelin, Dunlop, Continental etc ....

Seems to be confusion on whats a MOT failure from reading some of the google links, I was under the impression in the UK unless the crack in the tread has exposed the cords then the tyre will pass an MoT, however anything more than very light cracking in the sidewalls is an instant fail, maybe a MoT tester can comment.

The OP needs to get the tyres inspected by Nokian or the UK representative, and feedback.

Also did he ever post the DoT code on the tyres to establish exactly how old they are?

eternal optimist
May 3rd, 2018, 07:05
Also did he ever post the DoT code on the tyres to establish exactly how old they are?

Looks like 05/16, maybe 05/06 from the pic, but it’s not easy to tell from the angle.

minstrelblue
May 4th, 2018, 19:44
just to clarify they're 05/16 stamps, i've contacted the supplier oponeo and they asked for pics, i sent them and since then it's gone ominously quiet, despite sending chase up emails requesting acknowledgement of receipt of my pics they've not responded, i rang them today and they said they would get on to their claims dept. if nothing happens after the bank hol weekend i'll email em advising them that despite giving them a chance to 'do the right thing' they have failed to communicate with me i shall be spreading some very negative reviews of oponeo's poor customer after sales. we shall wait and see

kenny
May 4th, 2018, 22:18
Hang off with threats of negative feedback, companies have been known to take legal action and even if they don't it may just make them dig their heels in. I hope you paid by credit card or PayPal. If so open a dispute with them.

minstrelblue
May 8th, 2018, 13:14
update.. oponeo are playing hardball and giving me the standard warranty response about, incorrectly loaded tyres fitted, poor storage, potholes, under or over inflation... none of which apply to my tyres, so at the end of the day i suppose they are happy to selling sub standard tyres that crack up and deteriorate prematurely at just 2 years old and with just 13k normal mileage on them.
my advice- be careful with oponeo, their prices are good but their after care is poor , once they have your money they don't care, i will not be using them again and recommend you take a good hard look at them before using them, and do not buy nokian z line suv xl tyres. i won't.

eternal optimist
May 8th, 2018, 14:12
Suggest you go direct to Nokian.

TruckbusUK
May 8th, 2018, 15:41
Have you contacted Nokian directly, or at least the UK distributors/importers, may be worth a shot?

I'm sure in the UK its Nordic Tyres in Dumfries that are the importers for the UK, would be worth talking to them for at least some advice.

Also the manufacturer, Nokian Tyres in Nokia Finland, I have has a couple of contacts with their technical dept, and always found them very helpful, nothing lost in contacting them.

Hope it helps :regular_smile: