PDA

View Full Version : Middle Booster Seat

rando83
May 9th, 2018, 14:24
Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a XC90 second Gen model and have a question regarding the middle / Booster seat.

I'm about to have my 3rd child and need to know if the integrated booster seat complies with the the changes made to child seats in 2017?

Would appreciate it if someone knew the answer?

Thank you

Philip Fisher
May 9th, 2018, 16:04
Hi all,

I'm looking into buying a XC90 second Gen model and have a question regarding the middle / Booster seat.

I'm about to have my 3rd child and need to know if the integrated booster seat complies with the the changes made to child seats in 2017?

Would appreciate it if someone knew the answer?

Thank you

What are the changes? Was it the requirement for winged boosters?

We have it and found it useful but if it hadnt been Volvo I would have been suspicious of such a booster with no side bolsters.

rando83
May 9th, 2018, 16:22
"The law regarding booster seats for children changed on March 1.

Under new regulations, manufacturers aren’t allowed to introduce new models of backless booster seats for children shorter than 125cm or weighing less than 22kg. This is because a backless car seat offers much less protection in the event of a collision."

Deman77
May 9th, 2018, 17:19
Pretty sure volvo would drop the option of it was not allowed. There are people whose job is compliance with regulations. You just need to be mindful from what age/height you use it. It’s not a very safe or particularly comfortable permanent child seat. I only use it occasionally and for short trips if you have more than your usual little passengers on board. For regular kids travel put dedicated child seats.
It’s a useful back up option only

lalith16
May 9th, 2018, 18:06
Volvo just introduced integrated booster seats on XC60 range with MY19 cars, which I believe is for the first time on XC60s. They are doing this as part of Family Pack; it is unlikely that they would have done this if integrated booster seats didn’t comply with the regulations.

Philip Fisher
May 9th, 2018, 19:17
I guess if you have 3 winged boosters you might struggle to get them all across the back, even on an XC90. So an option could be a winged booster on each side and the Volvo one in the middle. The outside of the winged boosters on each side would reduce the chances of excessive sideways movement in a side crash but you would need to be mindful of how padded they are on the outside.

That said we also used the Volvo boosters on both the XC90 and V60 as occasional extras and a proper Britax winged booster still lived in both cars.

Director76
May 9th, 2018, 23:08
**deleted double post error**

Director76
May 9th, 2018, 23:09
You can fit 3 winged highback boosters in the XC90 (maxi Cosi Rodi air type) provided you use the belt fitting not isofix.

Our 8.5 yr old (138cm) has just got too tall for them now so our 6.5 year old twins have a high back each side and he goes on the family pack booster.

I’d like to keep him in a high back, but as he’s technically tall enough not to need a booster at all (though I don’t personally agree with the legal stance on that) they just don’t make them to fit.

There is relatively limited padding on the outside of the two high backs, but actually very little on the inside either.

As our eldest is tall and slim the Volvo centre booster fits him well and he claims it’s more comfy than the maxi cosi

D76

rando83
May 10th, 2018, 15:25
Thank you for your replies!

Plenty to think about!:tounge_smile:

aab203
May 10th, 2018, 17:31
I too will be having third little one towards the end of the year and have been looking into this. I did see that Volvo offer a 'cover' which introduces the wings and looks more comfortable / safer than using the booster seat on its own.

https://www.volvopartshop.com/child-seat-padded-upholstery-for-integrated-booster-cushions-xc90-2016-19277-p.asp.

Unless there are any obvious reasons not to I'll probably have our eldest (currently 5 years old) using the middle booster with the padded covering, and use car seats for the others kids either side

rando83
May 15th, 2018, 09:48
aab203 - Wow! This could be the answer! Awesome.....will look into this :regular_smile:

Deman77
May 15th, 2018, 10:27
aab203 - Wow! This could be the answer! Awesome.....will look into this :regular_smile:

These addons had pretty negative feedback on comfort (I think on swedespeed). Considering how cheap group 2 seats are, not sure why you would spend money on making temporary booster not quite as uncomfortable instead of just keeping it for occasional use. It will never be as safe as dedicated group 1/2 either. Especially as you will have your older child in between two other child seats which usually have hard shells.

rando83
May 15th, 2018, 16:14
Is it actually possible to place a Group 2/3 car seat in the middle seat in between 2, Group 0 and or Group 1 (ISOFIX) car seats in the middle row?

Is there anyone out there that has this combo?

Thanks

Director76
May 15th, 2018, 16:41
Is it actually possible to place a Group 2/3 car seat in the middle seat in between 2, Group 0 and or Group 1 (ISOFIX) car seats in the middle row?

Is there anyone out there that has this combo?

Thanks

I doubt it with isofix, as that pulls the seats too far into the middle. We’ve had three group 2/3 in the middle with belt fittings and ran with every combo going (twins plus elder one with a two year age gap) in our previous Touaregs. We tried everything on the market and belt fittings seem to be the way to go for x3 in the back.

Isofix is only really useful for quick change (and numpties not capable of fitting a belt fix chair properly!), the belt system (we used maxi cosi) with the belt tightening clamp in the chair made the seats absolutely rock solid, to the point they wouldn’t budge a mm. Be sure to use a seat protector pad