PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - Retro-fitting isofix to V50

bircham
Dec 11th, 2006, 11:46
I just thought I would let people know about the ability to retrofit the isofix mountings to the V50 (sorry if this repeats anyhting somewhere else).

Having a relatively new baby we decided that isofix was the best thing for a car set when he reahces 9 months/20 pounds. Went out and bought a car set (maxi cosi priorifix) and it fits the XC90 perfectly. Of course, wife's V50 doesn't have isofix brackets.

Went to dealer, they ordered the brackets, took a month to arrive but booked in on Saturday morning and car ready in 45 minutes.

Total price was £78.00 fitted. I think that it is a bargain for the added safety of isofix and that the price was very reasonable.

My wife's car is a 2006 model car registered 01/09/05.

Anyway if anyone is thinking about getting isofix fitted then be resta ssured that it is not that expensive. (IMHO)

Hope this is of some help,

Jon

judgeman
Dec 17th, 2006, 21:19
V50 went to garage last week for it's 3 month quality inspection. They also fitted the Isofix (finally...!)

Now when I looked at buying the new car, I had heard of 'Isofix' - but didn't have a clue what it was! There were no pics in the car publicity, and even a visit to Mamas and Papas prooved no help (they hadn't started selling Isofix child seats, and had no info on what it was for when they did!)

So since it's now been fitted,I thought I'd post a couple of pics here for others to get an idea.

It seems a bit crazy that this supposed major improvement in child safety has had so little publicity. Hope these pics help...

Chris,
V50 D5 '56 plate
VOC member
IAM member
Previously
1996 855 T5 GLT 143k
1988 240 GLT Estate 2.3ltr 169k
1996 854 T5 S 134k
1995 440 SE 2.0ltr 135k
1995 440 Si 1.8ltr 70k
1985 340 GL 1.4ltr 144k
The Yellow Peril in Oz - 1982 244 GL 2.3ltr 250k

Philip Fisher
Dec 29th, 2006, 17:59
Thanks for the pics and info on retrofixing isofix to the back of a V50, but does anyone know if it is possible to retrofix the isofix connectors to the front passenger seat?

Cheers

Philip

p.s. On a related, but non volvo note, has anyone had any experience of permanently disabling / disconnecting a passenger air bag (in this case, it is a '99 Focus)

JeremyG
Jan 3rd, 2007, 00:45
[QUOTE=judgeman;181115]V50 went to garage last week for it's 3 month quality inspection. They also fitted the Isofix (finally...!)

Thanks for the pics - how much did this cost?

callyuk
Jan 3rd, 2007, 00:50
i maybe a bit thick but i dont understand what these do and would like to know are they usefull with car booster seats and would they fit in my 1997 s40 or would they already be there?

bircham
Jan 3rd, 2007, 13:02
how much did this cost?

Total price for wife's V50 was £78.00 fitted inc parts.

i maybe a bit thick but i dont understand what these do and would like to know are they usefull with car booster seats and would they fit in my 1997 s40 or would they already be there?

They are brackets that attach to the body of the car under the rear seats and allow you to use an isofix car seat. The carseats have attachments that 'grab' the brackets removing the need to use seatbelts and making the carseat impossible to move around. I believe that all new cars now have to have these attachments as standard.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/standards/isofix.htm

This site has some information on them.

I hopes that this helps.

Jon

judgeman
Jan 6th, 2007, 19:22
I ordered the Isofix when I paid deposit for thre car (hence should have been fitted when car was delivered!).

The cost when ordered with the car was £30.

Chris.

v50gt
Nov 19th, 2009, 20:35
Hi....anyone know the part number for isofix bracket....please????:rose:

Guru
Nov 19th, 2009, 21:39
Hello gt,

Try HERE (http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/S40-V50/safety/child-safety/VCC-257595.htm), I think you're looking for 8639658.

Installation instructions HERE (http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx) in the "Body and interior" section, for some odd reason this page will not function properly in Opera, at least on my PC, try Firefox or IE to open.

:thumbs_up:

v50gt
Nov 20th, 2009, 08:22
Hello gt,

Try HERE (http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/en-GB/S40-V50/safety/child-safety/VCC-257595.htm), I think you're looking for 8639658.

Installation instructions HERE (http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx) in the "Body and interior" section, for some odd reason this page will not function properly in Opera, at least on my PC, try Firefox or IE to open.

Thanks a lot....your post is very helpful...:lightbulb:

dan 244
Nov 23rd, 2009, 22:19
I have an v50 with these in as standard I beleive (2008 MY), I dont think they can be fitted to front seets though. I fitted them i my previous S60 parts cost about 30 pounds and took 10 mins th fit very easy. These have been standard fit in vw's for years (well I had a new golf in 2002 that had them), I am supprised that volvo have taken so long, as a safety driven manufacturer to fit them as standard.

I would not consider fitting a child seat in any other way, they provide such a positive rigid fixing the the car boby. And no room for incorect fitting.

And much better than in a vauxhall corsa I recently saw that had a child in a child seat being held in place by a back seat adult that also had no belt on.

STLover
Dec 4th, 2010, 13:55
Hello gt,

Cannot find retrofit isofix on this link Guru. Can you help please
Thanks

Guru
Dec 5th, 2010, 22:49
Hi ST,

On THIS PAGE (http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx) enter your model, model year and let the keyword be "Isofix" then click search.

madbroon
Mar 3rd, 2012, 17:34
Hi all,

I just fitted isofix brackets to my 2006 V50 Sport, took 10-15minutes. I took the brackets out of my mother-in-laws new C30 but you can buy the brackets for about £15 each from here:

http://www.volvopartshop.com/index.asp?function=CART&ECD=647&productid=

The installation is quite easy and you only need 1 socket, (think it was 13 or 14mm), there is a guide available from Volvo here:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-GB/GR/V50/2006/1.8/Manual/L.H.D/ShowDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-148670-1/V50,_2006

Here's my explanation of it;

1. Remove rear headrests and fold the bottom cushions forward
2. Open passanger side rear door and there is a soft cushion attached to the frame of the car (if you were sat on the seat it would be against your left shoulder) pull the top of this forward and it will unclip. Once the top is free give it a quick pull upwards towards the roof and it will be completely removed.
3. Fold both backrests flat.
4. There will be a bolt holding down a black metal lever on the passenger side near to the pivot point for the backrest, remove this bolt and the metal lever will move upwards and you will see the metal rod that the rear seat pivots on.
5. Get out the car and you should now be able to lift the back seat nearest the passenger door upwards, then pull it towards you. The seat will now be completely disconnected and can be put to one side. The seat belt will still be attached but you just pull it free and move it to one side.
6. There will be two slots in the thin black felt which is where the Isofix bracket will go through, just above the slot nearest the centre will be a circular foam hole cover, pull this off, this is where the first bolt will go.
7. On the other side there will be a bolt already screwed in, remove this bolt.
8. Place your Isofix bracket over the two holes and tighten up the bolts, you can't fit the bracket upside down so don't worry about that!
9. Assembly is reverse of the dismantling.

I only fitted one bracket but I guess the other side will be very similar, might be worth fitting the both of them before re-assembling the car.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!!

Andrew

P.S I subscribe to Which? and the following Volvo car seats were listed as DON'T buys:

1. Volvo Convertible Child seat (forward facing Group 1) 45%
2. Volvo Convertible Child seat (forward facing Group 2) 41%
3. Volvo Convertible Child seat (rearward facing Group 1) 29%

All the above were belted installations and not iso-fix bases - shocking results though!!

The three top buys were:
1. Maxi Cosi - Cabriofix with Easyfix base 82%
2. Britax - BABY-SAFE plus (Isofix) 81%
3. Volvo - Infant seat 81%

MacV50
Mar 3rd, 2012, 18:45
I dont think they can be fitted to front seets though.
I am supprised that volvo have taken so long, as a safety driven manufacturer to fit them as standard.

Not sure if they still do it but when I bought a new A4 in 2004 I specified ISOFIX and it came on the out rears and the front passenger seat. I guess Volvo don't offer it on the front as they feel that kids shouldn't be in the front.

As long as there's a switch to turn off the airbag, I don't see a kid in the front being any different from one in the back

Agree on your comment about Volvo though. Does seem strange especially since the cost is so low

nbuuifx
Mar 4th, 2012, 09:39
I think that it is a bargain for the added safety of isofix and that the price was very reasonable.

You have to be careful there, I read a report in 2008 when I purchased a new car (didn't come with isofix as standard) and I ended up opting not to bother. ISOFIX has no 'added safety' it was designed as a system for convenience and to ensure compatablility between cars (originally it was intended that any ISOFIX seat would fit any ISOFIX car - but they failed with this)

The report went on to show that a correctly fitted 3 point seat belt installation was actually safer in a crash than an ISOFIX. On the flip side an ISOFIX seat is usually always fitted correctly and safer than an incorrectly fitted seat belt seat.

The report recommended that you have the seat checked to make sure it is correct for your car (mothercare do this service) and fit it correctly. This is the safest route and is safer than ISOFIX.

So it comes down to your confidence on being able to fit the seat correctly.

martin93t
Mar 9th, 2012, 17:35
Is this all I need to to install isofix points?

http://www.volvopartshop.com/rear-seat-isofix-mounting-bracket-4688-p.asp

Metblackrat
Mar 9th, 2012, 17:50
Is this all I need to to install isofix points?

http://www.volvopartshop.com/rear-seat-isofix-mounting-bracket-4688-p.asp

That, and a spanner.

MacV50
Mar 9th, 2012, 17:54
You have to be careful there, I read a report in 2008 when I purchased a new car (didn't come with isofix as standard) and I ended up opting not to bother. ISOFIX has no 'added safety' it was designed as a system for convenience and to ensure compatablility between cars (originally it was intended that any ISOFIX seat would fit any ISOFIX car - but they failed with this)

The report went on to show that a correctly fitted 3 point seat belt installation was actually safer in a crash than an ISOFIX. On the flip side an ISOFIX seat is usually always fitted correctly and safer than an incorrectly fitted seat belt seat.

The report recommended that you have the seat checked to make sure it is correct for your car (mothercare do this service) and fit it correctly. This is the safest route and is safer than ISOFIX.

So it comes down to your confidence on being able to fit the seat correctly.

Could you post a link to that report?

Have to say that I struggle to understand how a standard seat could be safer than an ISOFIX seat. I agree that ISOFIX is there primarily to ensure that seats are fitted properly and one of the side effects is convenience.

I was involved in a serious car crash 3 years ago. Everyone walked away (I spent the night in hospital) so I would always stick with ISOFIX seats as it removes any doubt. My 4 year old and an 18 month old were both in Britax ISOFIX seats and were completely unharmed despite us glancing a tree at 65mph and then rolling once. The car was totalled.

Also haven't had any issues fitting Britax ISOFIX seats in VW, Audi, Ford and BMW cars. Don't expect to have any issues with the V50

nbuuifx
Mar 9th, 2012, 18:26
No I don't have the link (It was 4 years ago!)

From memory the problem came that the majority of ISOFIX seats are not attached at the top. There was some mention of a safer version of ISOFIX which had a third point which tethered behind the top of the seat but these weren't widely available (not sure if they are now?)

My point though is that ISOFIX aren't any safer than a properly installed seat belt seat

madbroon
Mar 10th, 2012, 20:08
I think that the reason people say that a standard belt fitting (if correctly fitted) is safer than isofix is because with a standard seatbelt you have some flexibility in the belt, this absorbs the energy in a crash more than isofix which is completely rigid. A standard seatbelt works better at dissipating the energy compared to Isofix. That being said, I think the statistic is that 67% of parents don't fit a carseat correctly, which is the main benefit with Isofix.

I agree with the comment that Isofix is no safer than a correctly fitted carseat secured with a belt.

MacV50
Mar 11th, 2012, 13:51
I think that the reason people say that a standard belt fitting (if correctly fitted) is safer than isofix is because with a standard seatbelt you have some flexibility in the belt, this absorbs the energy in a crash more than isofix which is completely rigid. A standard seatbelt works better at dissipating the energy compared to Isofix. That being said, I think the statistic is that 67% of parents don't fit a carseat correctly, which is the main benefit with Isofix.

I agree with the comment that Isofix is no safer than a correctly fitted carseat secured with a belt.

I can see that with the seats that have their own harness but once you get into the group 3 seats, the seatbelt is still what restrains the kid in a crash.

You're right though, the main issue is poorly fitted seats. However even with ISOFIX you can still have issues - my ex never did the seat belts up properly so there was too much slack.

jocker01
Apr 24th, 2012, 10:01
bracket cost £15.08 from a dealer!
regards