PDA

View Full Version : General: - Buying a D5 Executive - what are the 'must have' options?

JimBob
Dec 16th, 2006, 14:44
I will be placing an order for my next XC90, a D5 Executive, next week (I have had my current T6 for 3 years).

Wife and I will be going into the garage to look at interiors and colours and choosing the options.

Does anyone have a view on what the 'must have' options are over and above the 'Executive' trim level?

My feeling is that the tyre pressure monitors, privacy glass and subwoofer are on the list already, what else?

JimBob

perussell
Dec 18th, 2006, 15:54
You want options on an Executive!!!! But seriously, the only option I would have added to my Exec that I have run for the last 2.5 years is the electric sunroof for those summer days when a touch of open air(?) motoring is desirable - no the C70 is just too small! The privacy glass is a personal thing, I would never have it and I think you will find that the subwoofer is already there (unless it's amongst the list of things removed from the latest model.) About the only other thing I might go for are the alloy wheels fitted to the new 'Sport' model - they look superb.
(But then again when I pick my next car in the New Year it won't be another XC90 - absolutely love it but far too many niggles and problems - I would never recommend one of these that was out of warranty, far too expensive........... but that's another story)

JimBob
Dec 18th, 2006, 16:57
Yes, we've had a few niggles too.

Thanks for your reply, I will look into the wheels.

JimBob

DCO
Dec 19th, 2006, 16:31
My "must haves" include speed dependant steering, heat reflective windscreen and front windows, water repellent laminated front side windows and as mentioned above, tyre pressure monitoring system.

If regularly carrying young children, then privacy glass, but otherwise I wouldn't bother with it as it reduces your vision!

DJBuk29
Jan 4th, 2007, 11:06
I agree with the sunroof option. My last car didn't have one and I missed it badly in the summer. Now my exec has one and it is great to have fresh air in the summer and it makes a great advantage point for viewing (like a tank commander) and it is used to sit on the roof by the kids. Useful when a load of circus elephants went by in a French hypermarket car park last summer. I was outside worried about being crushed and my kids were laughing with a great view out of the sunroof but safe inside.

Another really useful option is/are 'running boards'. I think they really set off the exec above the normal and are useful for stepping in/out especially in muddy areas.

Dark tinted rear windows also enhance the look and privacy (i hated other cars with them before, but now I wouldn't go back)

3rd row a/c if you have kids and intend to go abroad in the summer.

tj101c70
Jan 4th, 2007, 22:57
Only specked a roof, on the previous XC, when it came to the current Exec,did not bother, doubt if I had opened the last one a dozen time (cost £50 to open each time !!)

The speed dependant steering is worth having, does make a difference, did not bother with privacy this time,but do miss it !!

Now have my 5th on order, and unlike perussell, have only had a xenon volt pack, give up, all the rest have been no bothers,,

Hi DJBuk29, is the pic of your car ?? though you had a exec ??

DJBuk29
Jan 12th, 2007, 15:00
Hi TJ. It is my car and it is the exec but an import so the colour trims are not to exec style. All the xeon lights, satnav, phone, mega stereo, heated seats, front seat memory, rear stereo points, 3rd row aircon, sun roof, running boards and privacy glass. It may not be all exec but then it has the extras and all in all it was a good buy. What have I missed?

It ain't quite so clean any more though :shcokedcamo:

CTCNetwork
Jan 12th, 2007, 18:08
Hi,

You need the Boot Monkey... :)
Best security device fitted.. Ever.. :D

Des. . . ;)

tj101c70
Jan 13th, 2007, 19:59
Hi TJ. It is my car and it is the exec but an import so the colour trims are not to exec style. All the xeon lights, satnav, phone, mega stereo, heated seats, front seat memory, rear stereo points, 3rd row aircon, sun roof, running boards and privacy glass. It may not be all exec but then it has the extras and all in all it was a good buy. What have I missed?

It ain't quite so clean any more though :shcokedcamo:

?? are you sure its exec spec, from the picture, you have the SE alloys, no c post decals, black roof rails, black not painted mirrors !! all the bits you mention above were SE standard/options ??

Nice car mind !! ;)

chunderground
Aug 29th, 2010, 22:50
for me it was privacy glass and side steps - both worth it IMO
Some say front park assist - cant say I really felt the need - but maybe ?
Sub woofer if only it was an option - it needs one !
3 year service package ( if still available )
I Keep toying with the idea of upgrading with polestar chip - not sure about it though.
I thought speed dependant power steering was standard on exec - its rock solid and steady on the motorway

its a great car - with the right discount its a steal

ex Triumph Man
Aug 31st, 2010, 16:49
Having spent some 36 years in the motor industry, I always go by the golden rule. NEVER have a car with a sun roof. Why? Solid roofs can not leak.

chunderground
Sep 2nd, 2010, 21:14
Having spent some 36 years in the motor industry, I always go by the golden rule. NEVER have a car with a sun roof. Why? Solid roofs can not leak.

If you are going to sell on in three - five years sun roofs are fine
When I was younger every car I bought had a leaky sunroof - maybe things have improved but I would never spec one as I keep my cars for ten years and dont trust them to be watertight in the long term.