PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Body : - Headlight Unit Condensation

Giustino d'Aosta
Dec 16th, 2006, 17:17
Hi all,

I've done a search but couldn't find anything about headlight condensation.
I picked up my new S40 yesterday and after a night's driving in the rain I notice that the nearside headlight unit is misted up around the indicator.

Is a small amount of condensation normal? I know some headlight units are ventilated which should let water out as well as in, but don't know about S40/V50's...

The units are the standard headlights.

Thanks,
Justin.

Metblackrat
Dec 17th, 2006, 17:29
I took the unit out and dried it out with a hairdrier by removing the cover where the bulbs are fitted. I then smeared a thin layer around the seal on the back of the unit and re fitted it. No condensation since.

CTCNetwork
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:38
Hi,
I then smeared a thin layer around the seal on the back of the unit and re fitted it.
Thin layer of??
Angel dust?? Talc??
Silicon ??

Or is there a Volvo sealant?

Des. . . ;)

Metblackrat
Dec 21st, 2006, 16:40
Hi,

Thin layer of??
Angel dust?? Talc??
Silicon ??

Or is there a Volvo sealant?

Des. . . ;)

Oops!. I meant a thin layer of vaseline.

CTCNetwork
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:28
Hi,
Oops!. I meant a thin layer of vaseline.
Thanks for that..
The fact that vaseline does not dry out or cure like silicon means it says "live".

Is there any way to rejuvinate the shine/surface of the unit following water ingress..??

Des. . . ;)

webbie
Jan 5th, 2007, 23:21
you shouldnt get any condensation in your headlights.

I dont but I did have a front fog light that would mist up. I reported it at the cars 3000 mile check and they drilled a small hole in the housing. The mechanic said it was probably a poor seal and they would replace it no problem if it misted up again.

It hasnt misted up since but I might get it changed anyway as I aint paid all that money for a Volvo with a hole drilled in it

Webbie