PDA

View Full Version : Other XC90 Problem: - Noise with reverse

xc90er
Dec 19th, 2006, 00:20
I have a T6 and hears a faint clunking noise when i reverse for stationary. Any idea what it could be? Suspension or steering rack? I think it is louder when it is on full lock.
Cheers

CTCNetwork
Dec 19th, 2006, 00:23
Hi,

CV Joint perhaps? Get a noise when turning on full lock either left or right?

The transfer box maybe, but that is a guess..

Des. . . ;)

JimBob
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:37
Mine doesn't do that, off to the dealer? (not much help sorry!)

JimBob

yatesspud
Dec 20th, 2006, 14:33
had the same noise on 2 previous jeeps, a cherokee and grand cherokee and on both occasions it was the rear axle going. if your under warranty i'd get it looked at now. next you'll feel it start to "stick " when starting to pull away from a standing start when the car has been driven for a while, feels like the brakes being stuck on. hope i'm wrong.

xc90er
Dec 20th, 2006, 22:05
Had mentioned it to the dealer at the last service but they said that they could not find anything. Carried out the recall work to the ball joint but the sound still remains.

Just had the MOT done today and it passed without any problems.

The warranty runs out end of Jan and I am just anxious that any fault after the warranty period would cost £££. Any ideas? Cheers.

tedm
Dec 22nd, 2006, 12:12
Go back to the dealer in January and have them specifically look for the problem (not just mention it as part of the service).
Even if they do not 'find' anything there will be an official record of you asking them to look into the problem before the warranty is up. This could save you a lot of money if something develops shortly after the warranty runs out - which is usually the case.

I had a problem with my premium stereo/satnav/reversing sensors not switching on (would work after the car was restarted) on two occasions. Dealer could not find anything within warranty period. True to form it failed completely 6 weeks after warranty ran out.
Dealer traced fault to a failed sub-woofer. Would have cost me £900 to replace (have to remove half the interior to access), but as there was a record of earlier problems I paid 'just' £130.

Check your car over very thoroughly over the xmas break and get anything suspiscious looked at.......could save you some ££!