PDA

View Full Version : Steering: - Stiff steering when cold

tedm
Dec 21st, 2006, 10:46
Hi Guys,

Not sure if anybody else has had this but on my '02 D5 geartronic the steering wheel is quite stiff in the morning.
It's very strange, the PS pump seems to be OK, but after I pull out of the drive and go straight for about 500yds there's resistance when I try to turn the steering wheel slightly, but then it gets 'unstuck' (feels like it's stcuk on something and then suddenly breaks past it) and turns normally.
Happens turning both ways. Problem goes away after driving for a mile.
Have topped up the PS fluid (it was low), no change. No extra noises, bumps, etc.
Just thinking about taking out an extended warranty to cover the cost of this and a new damper that needs replacing some time before summer.

Edit: Having just been out in the car I'm now thinking that it feels like the 'sticky' bearing either just behind the steering wheel or maybe in the column (feels and sounds like it's just behind the wheel though).

Charrua
May 7th, 2012, 09:16
Hi,

Did you find out the reason to the sticky steering wheel?

I have exactly the same problem, gets sticky when cold (i.e. less than 8 degrees) and on the central position only. After driving for a couple of minutes or 1 mile it dissapears and steering feels perfect.
Asked the Volvo garage to check it but they havent found anything wrong.

Thanks

karlon7
Nov 19th, 2012, 17:43
gents

i have recently picked up a S40 2.4T and i experience the same problem, but again nothing wrong. Although if you turn your steering wheel to full lock right you may find it won't stiffen up in the cold

try it out and let us know

davesti
Nov 7th, 2016, 20:38
Sorry to jump on an old post but I am experiencing this exact same problem on my 58 v50 2.4 r design. From cold it is definitely worse than warm, after steering straight turning both ways it seems like there is resistance then will un-free after a a slight push. Is this a common problem? I have only just bought the car for my wife as a daily driver and I'm quite capale of doing any work myself but don't want to change the usual suspects if the problem is usually down to a specific component. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tannaton
Nov 7th, 2016, 20:42
First step would be to change and flush the fluid. Cost about £20 if you can do it yourself. Fixes a lot of problems like this.

condor
Nov 7th, 2016, 22:35
My 2011 xc90 has same problem when cold, feels stiff and notchey at straight ahead. Was even worse until fluid change 6 weeks ago. Is perfectly ok after warm up.
Could this be a pump problem? Hope it's not the rack.
Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience of the cure.

diro
Nov 8th, 2016, 11:30
having a chance get under car, locate this part. It calls steering shaft joint

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=xc90+steering+shaft+joint&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ibchWOejGenR8geclazQBw

and spray it with WD40 or alternative penetrating oil.