PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with a 122S in Mexico... and with a few doubts

vmg
Mar 8th, 2019, 20:06
Hi guys:

First post. I live in Queretaro, Mexico and collect old cars. I enjoy working in them and doing ocassional restorations. After many years of wanting a 122S two door, I was finally able to get one, in pretty decent condition. Amazons were sold in Mexico in the late fifties or early sixties but only the four door models. Mine was a fairly recent import from the US.

My car, a 1964 model, is painted in Slate blue with light gray interior, and is in mostly good original condition and drives very nicely. It can be used as is and in fact can be left as is only correcting minor details. US version, with speedometer in miles.

I have a few doubts I want to find out about and hopefully you can help me with:

1. Brakes - Somewhere, I read that disc brakes were available from 1965. My car is 1964 but it has them. Were they available since 1964 or were they probably retrofitted?

2. Wheels - The car has the slotted wheels that I have seen in pictures from 1965 models. Were they available since 1964 also or were they retrofitted?
What puzzles me most is that the spare wheel does have the older type of wheels.

3. Ignition switch. It has a universal switch and regular coil. For a 1964 model, should I look for the switch and the metallic long tube going to the back of the coil?

4. Exterior mirror. My car had a door mirror, marked Volvo, but the arm that holds the mirror itself comes from the rear side of the base of the mirror, which by the way has holes for a couple of screws to attach it to the door. The replicas I have seen for sale have the arm holding the mirror on the front part of the base, and this base has no holes but a couple of studs to attach it. Did they change with the years? Which is the correct mirror?

5. I read the cars used a light gray rubber mat throughout the car. Mine already has carpets, but I would love to find a reproduction mat. I read that they are not being produced now and they are difficult to source. Any ideas of where I could get a set, front and rear?

Thanks!
Victor

classicswede
Mar 8th, 2019, 21:02
Hi Victor first of all welcome to the forum and Amazon ownership

1. Disk brakes were standard from 65 but 122s models had them for a few years before that. That means your car is as expected

2. A 64 model should have the solid wheels

3. It would have had the armoured cable to the coil originally. The modern coil is a common conversion

4, I dont fully follow you. Mirrors were only ever a option for fitting at the dealership and a few styles were available.

5. A 64 most likely would have the black rubber floor mats. Reproductions are available. As yet I do not think anyone makes the older grey version

vmg
Mar 8th, 2019, 21:17
Thanks, classicswede!

I am glad I have the correct disc brakes and will have to find a set of older solid wheels for the car and proper hubcaps to be correct.

Mirror: I bought a new repro, almost identical to the one the car has, so I am happy with it... it just puzzled me that the mounting base is attached differently and the arm to hold the mirror itself also on opposite sides of the base, but no trouble.

I thought rubber mats were gray, but if 1964 used black and that is available, I woudl be very happy to find a set!

Thanks again,
victor

Dibble
Mar 8th, 2019, 21:43
Thanks, classicswede!

I am glad I have the correct disc brakes and will have to find a set of older solid wheels for the car and proper hubcaps to be correct.

Mirror: I bought a new repro, almost identical to the one the car has, so I am happy with it... it just puzzled me that the mounting base is attached differently and the arm to hold the mirror itself also on opposite sides of the base, but no trouble.

I thought rubber mats were gray, but if 1964 used black and that is available, I woudl be very happy to find a set!

Thanks again,
victor
I had a '65 Amazon and the rubber mats were black. Try CVI in Sweden or Motoroldies.

old fart
Mar 8th, 2019, 23:31
I had a '63 122s a few years ago, which would be the same spec as yours, and that had grey mats, so why not stick with the carpets?

Derek UK
Mar 9th, 2019, 00:18
It would be good to see some pictures of your car if only to see what later parts have been fitted. The UK didn't get the 2 door until '65 when they did the changes to the interior and the front grilles plus boot lid handle change. Slotted wheels and other small changes. Your car should have plain fluted style upholstery and not the later perforated style. Yours could have a mix of cloth and vinyl panelling if it was a special order by an American serviceman in Europe at the time. I don't think any 2 door cars were dealer sold in the USA (?) In Canada they did get the 123GT.
Mirrors with the front arm have studs through the door with a nut inside because there is no space for a screw fixing from the outside at the front like the rear armed mirrors which can have a screw each end. As said, these were a dealer fitment to the buyers choice. Mirrors would have got knocked off in transit from the factory.
I'm pretty sure that the rubber mats were grey up to the interior restyle for the '65 models when they changed to black. Typically if your grey mats got a bitty ratty and split after 10 years or so the only replacements from Volvo were almost certainly the black ones. Grey repros were made and very expensive. Currently, I don't think any are available but are black sets supposed to be "coming" in late 2019.

vmg
Mar 9th, 2019, 03:11
Thanks guys!

I have been wanting to add a few pics since my first post... but I always get an error message. I will keep on trying later.+

The car has light gray vinyl with what appears to be cloth inserts. They look very correct and are in great condition. Door panels are full vinyl, with heat pressed marks making the patterns or design.

Thanks for the explanation on mirrors. I am glad that what I bought seems to be ok for the car.

Right now, the car has black carpet and I bought a set of 4 gray rubber optional mats (apparently offered by Volvo) to keep the carpet and look reasonably ok while I can source a set of the correct gray (or black) full rubber mats.

One other question: How can I find out if I have the B18B engine or the B18D. From what I found in Wikipedia:

- B18B: dual carburetor version. 100 and 115 bhp (74.6 and 85.8 kW) SAE with a higher compression ratio, fitted variously with dual sidedraft SU or Zenith/Stromberg carburettors.

- B18D: dual SU carburetor version. 90 and 95 bhp (67.1 and 70.8 kW) SAE

Thanks,
Victor

Victor

adarvasi
Mar 9th, 2019, 04:55
Victor I sent you a private message, I am in CDMX
Andres

Derek UK
Mar 9th, 2019, 12:12
For the engine type, check here.
https://www.scandcar.com/motortypen-volvo/

You may be trying to upload pictures that are too big. Reduce the long side to about 1000 pixels and you should be OK.

Ron Kwas
Mar 9th, 2019, 15:22
Victor;

Following the thread...congrats on getting the car you always wanted! Questions have already been answered well...I was going to advise you that we have another member here, located in Mexico, but Andreas has already chimed in...

Welcome to this forum, and Cheers from Connecticut!

c1800
Mar 10th, 2019, 14:45
Hi Victor, welcome.
Do you have front discs and rear drum brakes? If so that is standard.

vmg
Mar 10th, 2019, 19:57
Thank you for the warm welcome, guys! It shows it is a great forum!

Yes, front discs and rear drums... and apparently the wrong type of wheels, slotted versus solid as in the trunk.

I managed to reduce the pics (I am computer illiterate!) and I should be able to attach some now:

mocambique-amazone
Mar 10th, 2019, 20:48
very nice car, congratulation!

The dashboard cover isn't original, replicas in good quality aren't very expensive.
The air filters look very dirty and used.
The rims on the car are original, they changed at that year if I remember right. In Europe they did have the slotted ones. Cars with front discs have the slotted ones, very shure.
The rim in the trunk isn't original. and the rims are silver, not body colour. Like on your car! The hubs are the right one too.
The front grill should have three vertical and 10 horizontal bars.
The Engine vent is the newer and (for envirement) better version.
The ballast resistor isn't original too

I should get my Amazon on the road again, (since 12 years of the road), regards, Kay

vmg
Mar 11th, 2019, 04:38
I spoke to Andres today. Great guy, and we have a close friend in common. Small world!! Gracias, Andres!

vmg
Mar 11th, 2019, 04:41
very nice car, congratulation!

The dashboard cover isn't original, replicas in good quality aren't very expensive.
The air filters look very dirty and used.
The rims on the car are original, they changed at that year if I remember right. In Europe they did have the slotted ones. Cars with front discs have the slotted ones, very shure.
The rim in the trunk isn't original. and the rims are silver, not body colour. Like on your car! The hubs are the right one too.
The front grill should have three vertical and 10 horizontal bars.
The Engine vent is the newer and (for envirement) better version.
The ballast resistor isn't original too

I should get my Amazon on the road again, (since 12 years of the road), regards, Kay

Thank you Kay!!

If cars with discs had slotted wheels, then they are probably original. Is that a fact? I am attaching a pic of my front discs. Anyhow, I guess that my spare should have the same type of rim so at least that one is probably incorrect... though Andres told me that his PV544 has the same setup, slotted wheels on the road and a solid wheel for the spare.

Yes, I need to work on the dashboard, get a new cover for it and clean and rechrome a few parts. Of course, also general maintenance, including the air cleaners.

Good luck on getting yours back on the road soon!

vmg
Mar 11th, 2019, 05:02
Time for my first parts request for used parts... my wish list. Is there anybody that might have any of the following parts for sale:

1. Coil and ignition switch assembly, 12 volts. (by the way, is it the same one as in the P1800?)

2. Complete tool kit with bag

3. Owner´s manual, warrantee or service booklet and Plastic pouch

Thanks!
Victor

old fart
Mar 11th, 2019, 10:05
Lovely looking car, that.
The spare is the correct wheel type, even with discs, and the grill is right for the year. They both changed for the '65 model.
The bumpers should have overriders though.
Cheers,Andy.

csm22
Mar 11th, 2019, 11:06
Time for my first parts request for used parts... my wish list. Is there anybody that might have any of the following parts for sale:

1. Coil and ignition switch assembly, 12 volts. (by the way, is it the same one as in the P1800?)

Thanks!
Victor

Nice car, Victor.

Tool kits and owner's manual sets show up on eBay from time to time; another great source (back in the homeland) is

https://www.tradera.com/veteranbilar-c3_301912

Good luck in your quest to make this beautiful Amazon your own.

Cheers,

Chris

Derek UK
Mar 11th, 2019, 13:44
Looks a lovely car and a credit to its previous owners. Yes, there are some small changes from the original spec but I wouldn't change anything for the sake of it. It should have the solid wheels the same as the one in the boot and you could find some but the big extra expense would be for the hubcaps which are a different size so the current ones won't fit. The trim rings would be correct for the solid wheels. The grille is correct and you are lucky to have it. Boot lid light is correct and was changed for '64, a year before the general facelift. The seats have been reupholstered but very well done. The telltale is that the rear backrest has one more flute on each side than the original and all of the material should be the same. Cloth insert seats used an obvious cloth material.
As mentioned the dash cap has been recovered but it looks good and I'd keep it. I don't consider the repro new ones to be cheap. If what you have is split and wrecked by the sun that's a different matter, but you don't.
The radiator has been replaced as it is missing the tube on top for the radiator blind. The chain would have come out of the tube in the bulkhead just above the coil. Engine valve cover would have had the oil filler in the middle to clear the chain. Late valve cover or later engine? Washer bottle and pump missing but not unusual on SoCal cars but it looks as if you have the washer jets next to the wiper spindle? I think the original filters would have been attached by a single wingnut/ nut with the outer plate recessed. These modified to fit? Sponge filters not original and likely don't work very well. I would change these out to something more correct for better flow and protection.
Why do you want to change the coil? 1800 ones have a different mounting plate. 3 holes instead of 2 I think but no idea why.
Knowledgeable nerds, or those that think they are, will always nitpick over what is correct or not but unless you intend to compete at high levels in Concours events, enjoy what you have. Knowing what has been changed is always good ammunition when talking to fans of these cars. It's your car and you are just getting to know it. Enjoy it.
If you don't have overdrive I would put that at the top of the to-do list. Not cheap but very worthwhile if you intend to do road trips.
You will likely find this site useful http://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/
Also join Brickboard. Andreas is on there to. https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?model=120-130

Alf ista
Mar 11th, 2019, 13:57
That's a lovely car! Best of luck with it.

classicswede
Mar 11th, 2019, 17:27
I would not worry about the changes, it looks great as it is. I would only make changes if you prefer how it will look with the change.

64 is a bit of a cross over year for a lot of features.

The wheels would have been solid and most commonly painted in body colour. That is regardless of drum or disk brakes.

Radiator should have a tube for the chain that would have operated the blind.

Dash top has been changed

64 would normally also have the dash extend around onto the door tops

Bumpers should have overriders.

It is all minor details

Derek UK
Mar 11th, 2019, 18:16
The rather nice extensions from the dash to the doors were carried over from the B16 to the B18 in 1962 but were dropped later that year. I think it was a case of Volvo just using them up and changing when they ran out. I think they ran out before the start of the next model year. A pity as they are very neat. Beware if you try and retrofit them as the ends of the dash cover are different from the later ones. The proper ones are shaped to transition to the door trims. These aren't available as repros. Early dash tops last a lot better than later ones as the later ones are made in a different way.

vmg
Mar 11th, 2019, 20:23
Thank you very much guys!, on the help and on the great opinion on the car. I am learning a lot!

Answering a few questions in no particular order: Yes, I love the car and have been enjoying it a lot, and it is good to know what is correct and what not. Time will tell if I ever find and install the correct parts. Truth is I am a purist, but will never show the car on any judged concours. I like to have cars back to as correct as possible and then use them as much as I can. This one will be one of the "daily" drivers, with a Porsche 912, Citroen DS21, 1964 Buick Riviera and a few others.

So, the main things I am making a note on is that I would like to find a set of correct wheels and hubcaps to return the car to it's original aspect... and, yes, also the overriders.

I have other doubts but perhaps I should treat them separately.... next post.

Thank you all for your help,
Victor

vmg
Mar 11th, 2019, 20:29
Doubt: Windshield washer. My car is missing it.

I would need to purchase the windshield washer installation, but I have a big doubt here: I understand there is an earlier and a later type... which one was used for 1964?

And the actuator switch, is it the third step on the wiper switch?

I am leaving some pics of the outlets it has next to the wipers and also of both sides of the engine bay, showing no particular holes that I can see, other than the ones covered by rubber caps (one missing). Where is the windshield washer assembly supposed to be?

Derek UK
Mar 11th, 2019, 22:25
The holes could well be for the round bottle holder and pump. They are separate on your year car. Later ones had the pump in the top of a squarer bottle which was mounted on the other side. Many earlier cars have had the later fitted as the pumps are more reliable, partly due to age, and more readily available. Yes, the pump works on the third position on the wiper switch.

vmg
Mar 12th, 2019, 01:16
Thank you Derek!, So, the round deposit with separate pump... now I know what to look for!... though I have to say it puzzles a bit that it does not show the holes for attaching the parts. I will take a closer look.

The switch puzzles me a bit, as I am just guessing that if the wipers are working and you pull it to the third stop and not return it to the first or second stops, the pump would continue to go on... strange, but I am sure I will find out soon.

Ron Kwas
Mar 12th, 2019, 08:37
Victor;

Detail of Wiper Switch wiring for 122:
http://www.sw-em.com/wiper_sys_multi_field_circuit.jpg
Source: http://www.sw-em.com/Windshield%20Wiper%20Systems.htm

Cheers

old fart
Mar 12th, 2019, 20:09
Thank you Derek!, So, the round deposit with separate pump... now I know what to look for!... though I have to say it puzzles a bit that it does not show the holes for attaching the parts. I will take a closer look.

The switch puzzles me a bit, as I am just guessing that if the wipers are working and you pull it to the third stop and not return it to the first or second stops, the pump would continue to go on... strange, but I am sure I will find out soon.

You are right, that's how it works, just pull to the 3rd stop to wash, then return to 2nd or 1st for wiper only. I guess it saves having an extra switch.

csm22
Mar 19th, 2019, 10:49

Thanks!
Victor

Victor,

Re Item 2:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Amazon-120-122-130-PV-Duett-140-series-1800-vintage-tool-roll-kit/163589533886?hash=item2616b230be:g:CnkAAOSwToZcaq9 c&frcectupt=true

Good luck!

Cheers,

Chris

vmg
Mar 21st, 2019, 18:29
Thank you guys! All very interesting information! and thanks for the link on the tools, but I will wait a bit to see if I can find something more affordable.

I have done general service to the car (oil, spark plugs, new cables, etc.) I intend to install a battery cut out switch (I always do it on my cars, hidden and accesible from the inside... for a possible emergency... and don't ask me how I know!) and also an electric fuel pump.

I am getting ready to purchase tires.

Is there a reccomended modern tire measure that will be the closest to what the cars origianally used?

Thanks!
Victor

vmg
Mar 25th, 2019, 23:46
I have another question: The cigarrette lighter. Does mine look correct? I mean, the knob and element do, but should there be some kind of stainless washer or something between them? Please look at my pic.

I stil need the size for the modern closest replacement for the original tires.

Thanks!
Victor

old fart
Mar 26th, 2019, 09:49
There's definitely a bit missing from the lighter.
I have 165/80 tyres on mine.

mocambique-amazone
Mar 26th, 2019, 11:56
Plus 1
And
Plus1 to "old fart"

165/80r15 is the tyre you want. Matches perfectly to a Amazon
Good luck, Kay

Derek UK
Mar 26th, 2019, 12:00
Checked a couple of lighters that I have and they look the same as yours. Modern ones tend to have a fatter knob which extends down to the element, not like these which are made to match all of the other switches.

165 x 15. The 80 doesn't appear on the tyres. Check with a local "old style" VW Beetle garage to see what's available.

vmg
Mar 26th, 2019, 17:52
Thank you guys!

Curiously, I live in the land of Beetles. We have tons of them still running around Mexico. Unfortunately, the only tires available for them are 155/80R15, and none 165 are to be found!!

A few months ago I needed 165 for a 1960 Alfa and ended up importing them from the US, which is tremendously expensive! So, of course, I was hoping to hear a different measure. Oh, well... I will have to go through the expensive process again.

Thanks again!
victor

Derek UK
Mar 26th, 2019, 22:29
155 x 15 were indeed the original size for the Beetle but it is common to swap to 165. Yes, with Beetle production going to the end in Mexico I expected that the 165 would be readily available which is why I mentioned it.

vmg
Mar 26th, 2019, 23:56
155 x 15 were indeed the original size for the Beetle but it is common to swap to 165. Yes, with Beetle production going to the end in Mexico I expected that the 165 would be readily available which is why I mentioned it.

Yes, Derek! Beetles went here all the way till 2004 when the "last edition" appeared, in light beige and light blue (collector's items nowadays)... but the only tire you can find for Beetles is the 155. I already looked around.

vmg
Mar 28th, 2019, 00:21
By the way, I never mentioned it, but my car currently has some Firestone 185/65/15, which asides from a bit wide, they may also look a bit small in the car, but I would be glad to hear opinions.

What tires did the later Volvo GT used? If I cannot find the correct replacement in Mexico, before going to through the trouble and tremendous expense of importing the tires, I might consider altering the look a bit and have the car look like a later GT... in case they did have an original measurement that I could find.

Opinions?

Thanks!
Victor

csm22
Mar 28th, 2019, 11:00
I have another question: The cigarrette lighter. Does mine look correct? I mean, the knob and element do, but should there be some kind of stainless washer or something between them? Please look at my pic.

I stil need the size for the modern closest replacement for the original tires.

Thanks!
Victor

Victor,

Here's a pic of my lighter assembly with bezel.

Chris

vmg
Mar 28th, 2019, 17:06
Victor,

Here's a pic of my lighter assembly with bezel.

Chris

Thank you, Chris! Certainly looks more 'complete' and nicer than mine. Now I know I need to look for the stainless washer cup... which will probably be more difficult to source than a whole lighter.

Well... in case anybody has any of those, keep me in mind!

Thanks again,
Victor

vmg
Mar 28th, 2019, 18:31
Another question: Radiator Blind.

Were they fitted to all cars, even to the ones sold in countries with no harsh winters? I ask because a friend in Mexico owns a 1961 model which was originally from his mother and now his, and he says he never had it.

Anyhow, mine, which was sold for the US market, probably had it, and it doesn't any more. I do find the car has the tab under the dash which I assume is for the chain, plus a tube going over the radiator for the chain to pass to the front of it... and also a couple of small holes down there in the body, where I guess the blind was attached.

I guess more than asking, I am requesting confirmation and advise on wether I would install it or if I better forget about it. If I should install it, any source for the blind? I could not find it on VP's site.

Pics attached.

Thanks!
Victor

Army
Mar 28th, 2019, 19:40
Another question: Radiator Blind.

Were they fitted to all cars, even to the ones sold in countries with no harsh winters? I ask because a friend in Mexico owns a 1961 model which was originally from his mother and now his, and he says he never had it.

Anyhow, mine, which was sold for the US market, probably had it, and it doesn't any more. I do find the car has the tab under the dash which I assume is for the chain, plus a tube going over the radiator for the chain to pass to the front of it... and also a couple of small holes down there in the body, where I guess the blind was attached.

I guess more than asking, I am requesting confirmation and advise on wether I would install it or if I better forget about it. If I should install it, any source for the blind? I could not find it on VP's site.

Pics attached.

Thanks!
Victor

You should also see a tube coming out of the bulkhead for the chain.

Mine came with one kind of fitted /partially fitted / broken. If you want I can take some pictures of it for you if you want but it is in a pretty sorry state,

I get the impression these are difficult to find rarely replaced items.

I don't know if they were only cold country destination fitments or universally fitted - sorry

Derek UK
Mar 28th, 2019, 20:30
Bulkhead tube is shown in post #12 of this thread. If this was a USA delivered car it may never have had the blind. Although it's a nice talking point I doubt if you will ever use it in Mexico. They are good for speeding up the warm up when it's below zero.
Detective work - See if any paint has been chipped off the under dash chain lock and the bulkhead tube.

vmg
Apr 1st, 2019, 02:27
Yes, there is the tube on the bulkhead. I did some archeology, as Derek suggested, and I could swear the car never had the radiator blinds, or else they were never used, as the back of the tab under the dashboard has no scratches at all, and same on the interior of the tube.

vmg
Aug 13th, 2019, 03:03
Hi guys!

Time for an update and a few more doubts.

The car is now sitting on correct measurement 165/80-15 tires... cheap brand but at least it looks correct now.

I also bought a set of bumper guards and installed them, plus a few things like outside mirror, chrome Volvo gas cap and a few missing bits. The car is mostly complete and nice. A good paint job could work wonders, but it is presentable as it is for a while.

I am adding pics...

Victor

vmg
Aug 13th, 2019, 03:11
Now... for my doubts:

How do you attach the jack to the straps on the side of the trunk? My car had the straps but I just can't figure out how they hold the jack.

I would love to get a tool bag... anyone out there with one that could sell?

Thanks!
Victor

Derek UK
Aug 13th, 2019, 11:50
The jack fits diagonally against the inner wheel arch. There is another strap fitting, not shown, further up the wheel arch. The pins hold the straps in the slotted tabs. The hooks fit, top over the wheel arch seam and bottom into the opposite tab. The top one also holds down the handle and stops it rattling, if you are lucky. The slotted tab in your first picture is for the spare wheel strap. This strap is in two parts with the other end fitting into a tab next to the wheel well. If this wheel well has been replaced using an aftermarket pressing the tab may be missing. The strap fits together with a pull to tighten action with a toothed section to bite into the strap. These are often missing as they can get very tatty. Jack straps also often missing but you have those.
Spare wheel strap = Volvo #654691 Spare wheel strap Amazon is available.

Repro tool bags are now available. #670916 from Brookhouse at £11.94 so I guess VP will also have them. Do you have the tool set?

vmg
Aug 13th, 2019, 23:47
Thanks, Derek!

Not being native in English, I guess the verbal description is a bit over my head.

There is a tab or ear, with a much smaller slot, on the side of the spare tire well, towards the center.

Two tabs, close to each other, to the left of the spare tire

One tab up in the wheel well cover, close to the trunk oppening.

I am attaching pics.

Then, I have two rubber small straps with hooks on one end and a bolt to attach them to the wider slots on the other side.

Finally, my car has a strap, sort of a nylon thing, that does not look original to me, that would seem to fasten the tire in place and which attaches to itself via a velcro strip.

Sorry if my quest for help turns into a bit of a headache... pics would certainly help.

About my tools, I only have the jack plus the two shown... and no tool bag. I have seen a set on ebay for $179 plus shipping... just not prepared to spend that amount yet.

Thanks for the help
Victor

Derek UK
Aug 14th, 2019, 12:59
Pic 1 shows the single tab for the short rubber strap. That holds the top of the jack against the wheel arch with the hook around the edge of the adjacent strengthening plate. Works but not very efficient. The longer rubber strap used the two tabs for holding the bottom of the jack. It works but again a bit of a fiddle which is why they often aren't used. Remove spare wheel to give you a bit of room. The piece of nylon strap you show looks like the real thing but the original had a white thread down each side and had the metal buckle I mentioned. Velcro isn't up to the job but looks OK I suppose. Check the previous link.

Tool kits are a bit different between early and late cars. I have one of the cranked wheel nut tools and it may be Volvo I guess but I don't think it will fit in the bag. It would make it difficult to roll up. Normally there is a large box spanner which fits the wheel nuts one end and the spark plugs the other. This comes with a short thin tommy bar with a domed end for use when removing plugs and the longer bar you have for doing the wheel nuts. Black handled screwdriver normally with early cars and usefully the blades reverse to give a crosshead and straight driver at each end. Pair of pliers for early cars and an adjustable spanner with a serrated jaw at the other end for later cars. Serrated jaw for various size nuts but not very effective. Made by Bahco but should be marked Volvo and not Bahco if they are the correct one.
I wouldn't pay lots of money for these tools but if you keep your eyes open you can find them individually for not much money. In your position, I would look out for the box spanner as it is the most useful. I have attached a few tool kit pictures. As you can see they do vary and may or may not be complete/correct. Look in the parts book for a picture of the toolset.

vmg
Aug 15th, 2019, 00:49
Thanks a lot Derek! I will try attaching the jack the way you describe and let you know.

And thanks for the pics of the took kits. Now I know what to look for.

Victor

zzaletel
Aug 15th, 2019, 20:55
Yes, there is the tube on the bulkhead. I did some archeology, as Derek suggested, and I could swear the car never had the radiator blinds, or else they were never used, as the back of the tab under the dashboard has no scratches at all, and same on the interior of the tube.

Here are some pictures of the blind from my white ‘66 220 that was originally sold in Alaska.

https://flickr.com/photos/51556967@N00/sets/72157669453703850

Derek UK
Aug 15th, 2019, 22:04
On the 220 the blind is original but the fittings for the chain aren't. Neat job though and very useful in Alaska. A few pics of the complete car would be good, please.

zzaletel
Aug 16th, 2019, 02:54
But here are my two ‘66 220s:

https://flic.kr/p/Q1LFNd

https://flic.kr/p/Q1LFM1

simonvolvo
Aug 18th, 2019, 13:24
Now... for my doubts:

How do you attach the jack to the straps on the side of the trunk? My car had the straps but I just can't figure out how they hold the jack.

Re your question about the jack, here is an earlier thread on the topic:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=177926

It is of course possible that the system may have varied from one model to the next, depend on the place of manufacture/assembly, and so on. My car, dealt with in the other thread, is a late model (1970), assembled locally from imported CKDs (completely knocked down units).

vmg
Sep 10th, 2019, 15:34
Thank you Derek, Zzaletel and Simonvolvo!

Until now I got back to the forum. I am attaching pics of what I understood and did, from reading Derek's post... and I have to say I am not fully happy as the upper metal tab is rather insecure. I guess this is what Derek was describing as "Works but not very efficient".

I could try placing it flat against the floor as described in that other earlier thread, but then I would have a spare rubber band unused... so I am guessing that if the cars had two originally, it must have been because the fitting is as Derek described.

Since I am not native in english and I don't always fully understand things because of unknown terms to me, pease look at the pics and tell me if I get it right. Did I?

Thanks,
Victor

vmg
Sep 10th, 2019, 16:02
Trying adding pics again...

They come up rotated to the left... and I can't manage to straighten them... so just imagine they are rotated to the right 90 degrees, please.

victor

Derek UK
Sep 11th, 2019, 13:12
The straps look about right, very tidy. As I said, the top clip isn't ideal. The winding handle and the cast support arm can also be a cause of rattles and can benefit from some sort of stretchy strap if you have problems. A bit of sponge under the cast bit will keep things quiet but once you start adding things like that it all gets a bit untidy. OK, it's hidden by the spare wheel but you will know what it is like behind there. There are repro spare wheel covers with pockets for small items available for not too much money. You either like them or you don't but Volvo did sell them when the cars were new.

vmg
Sep 11th, 2019, 23:53
Thank you Derek! Glad to know that I got things almost right. I will see if I add some rubber pad or cloth under the metal head and the cast support. Just want to make it look correct. Perhaps a small rubber bumper only where the parts rub.

I would be intersted to see those spare covers... never knew Volvo offered them.

One other question: Would you know what this small black plastic holder on the passenger's side kick panel is for?

Derek UK
Sep 12th, 2019, 08:41
This is the side retainer clip for the parcel shelf. The shelf is flexibly mounted and is designed to deflect in an accident to reduce damage to the legs. Looks like you don't have the shelf.

Derek

vmg
Sep 12th, 2019, 14:51
Thank you, Derek.

Now I know I am missing a shelf and the base at the driver's side to hold it. Something more to look for... that plus a set of tools.

Victor

Derek UK
Sep 12th, 2019, 20:10
The shelf is only held in, suspended, by 3 screws through the top of the backplate and one at the side through a small tab about 6" in front of your mounting clip. The vertical back blate is thin sheet metal with a slotted grille for mounting a single loudspeaker. Because it's designed to fold up if you have an accident it is quite flimsy. They can also suffer due to water leaks from the screen above. The shelf itself is just a piece of hardboard which warps if it gets wet. They are handed of course so not much use looking for one over here. Shouldn't be hard to find but expect to pay a premium for a nice one.
120 parts book Section 8a Page 55

vmg
Sep 13th, 2019, 01:57
Thank you Derek! Now I need what to look for! (or what not to look for... it does not sound too attractive! Haha). Did all cars have them?

victor

Derek UK
Sep 13th, 2019, 12:39
The shelf was standard throughout the life of the Amazon and AFAIK the part # was the same over that time. In the lower dash edge at the end above the "shelf", there should be a small pull-down switch for a light which lights up this shelf. The light is basic and takes a bare bulb.

vmg
Sep 13th, 2019, 19:24
Thank you, Derek. Yes! My car does have the flimsy light switch and bulb below and at the corner of the dashboard at the passenger's side. I hope to find a good shelf one of these days.

Victor

vmg
Nov 3rd, 2020, 19:41
Hi guys:

After a long time, and update:

I have been using the car a lot. We repaired steering box and checked on suspension. The car drives like a dream!

I did find a beautiful under dash shelf which was given to me by a friend here in Mexico. I got real lucky as these cars were never too popular and this particular part I fear could easily be destroyed... a bit flimsy. He had it restored and I am very happy with it. Pics attached.

Victor

Derek UK
Nov 4th, 2020, 12:41
Nice one. When these are in a poor state they are a bit of an eyesore and can spoil an otherwise good interior. Your bulkhead felt could do with a light spray of matt paint for cosmetic reasons. Most people won't notice it of course but you will see it!
The other small thing is having broken rubber bands in the door pockets. Very easy to fix but so common to see the pockets drooping away from the door panels.

vmg
Nov 4th, 2020, 14:48
Thank you Derek! Door pockets are good... what isn't is the chromed plastic mouldings along the panels. I will have to get to that soon. Also, painting the bulkhead felt which I agree would help a lot. Good idea.

I am also considering installing a period correct radio, and of course, I would love to discard those ugly black carpets and get the gray rubber mats... but I need to save $ to do that! And then save even more for a respray, after which I will be VERY happy.

Great car! I enjoy it very much.
Victor

vmg
Nov 25th, 2020, 00:11
I just got a Blaupunkt Frankfurt-TR radio for my car, US version (like my car) which is period correct, correct code for 1964 and with the nice triangular shaped faceplate which can be turned upwards or downwards, to complment the inclination on the ashtray or they way it will look better...

I am hoping this could have been available for Volvos? Or was it any other model?

Would knobs look correct or should I find some others?

Thanks for any opinions,
Victor

142 Guy
Nov 25th, 2020, 16:31
That radio looks perfect as is. Other than a clean up I would leave it alone unless you wanted to go to the extra effort of having the faceplate re chromed. I doubt that the Blaupunkt was a factory option from Volvo; but, who cares. It is a wonderful period correct find.

Even better if it works!!

Derek UK
Nov 25th, 2020, 23:13
This one might have been in a VW Beetle. This is a USA model as the FM goes up to 108, which is good. Volvo did have radios in the extras catalogues, both Blaupunkt and Philips but many were dealer fitted. This one does look a little tired. Is it working? They can be refurbed but costs can be high.

Burdekin
Nov 26th, 2020, 09:29
I just got a Blaupunkt Frankfurt-TR radio for my car, US version (like my car) which is period correct, correct code for 1964 and with the nice triangular shaped faceplate which can be turned upwards or downwards, to complment the inclination on the ashtray or they way it will look better...

I am hoping this could have been available for Volvos? Or was it any other model?

Would knobs look correct or should I find some others?

Thanks for any opinions,
Victor

I had a Blaupunkt from my P1800 converted to FM, DAB and Bluetooth. It wasn’t any use otherwise.

vmg
Nov 26th, 2020, 23:26
Thanks! I will work a bit on it's cosmetics and try to install it and see how it looks... while I find a more correct one, in case it does surface.

Did Volvo offered AM/FM radios from factory? Or was it always a dealership thing? (In which case, any period correct would do?)

Thanks,
Victor

c1800
Nov 27th, 2020, 03:07
AFAIK No radios installed at factory. All came with a cover plate that said Amazon on it and later just Volvo.

The tilted or slanted bezel for the radio was used to slightly dip the rear of a radio downwards so the radio didn’t hit the windshield wiper motor/assembly. Definitely was the case in 1800’s, probably in an Amazon too.

142 Guy
Nov 27th, 2020, 05:45
Even into at least the early 1970s Volvo did not factory fit radios, always a dealer option. My experience post dates the 122; but, if you purchased a Volvo supplied radio from a Volvo dealer it came with Volvo printed on it. In North America I think Volvo was using radios supplied by Bendix. Check out the 7 FBVO and 6BVO Bendix part numbers. Some had both Volvo and Bendix on the faceplate. Here is an example:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/general-volvo-chat-5/volvo-radio-bendix-83723/#post410862

If you want to be period correct for Volvo in North America I think Bendix would be the product; but, they are much uglier than your Blaupunkt. I say stick with the Blaupunkt. It looks much nicer.

vmg
Nov 27th, 2020, 18:07
Thank you, Guys! I will stick with the Blaupunkt! Hopefully I will have it looking fine and in it's place soon.... just I need to make some time among all the projects!

Thanks again!
Victor

Derek UK
Nov 28th, 2020, 13:06
Important question. Does it work? Cheapest conversion to update it is to have an input lead that you can plug your phone into if it has a headphone socket. It will be mono but that suits the cars year.

vmg
Nov 29th, 2020, 04:50
No idea yet! I need to clean it and test it.... and yes, a cable would work wonders so i can play what I like.

Thanks!
Victor