PDA

View Full Version : V50 Electrics : - Bi-Xenon headlights LHD to RHD and vice versa

spiderman
Dec 25th, 2006, 21:24
I have a new LHD V50 D5 with Bi-Xenon's delivered by Volvo in UK a couple of weeks ago. To switch the headlights to driving in continental Europe the manual indicates that a switch be set within the lamp. I have done so in both lights but noticed the switch was not set the same for both lights. Moreover, I get the impression from the light beams that you should not do this for both lights but only for one of the lights. Can anybody confirm that this switch has to be set accordingly in both headlight units?

Paul Clifton
Dec 26th, 2006, 18:24
Yes you must switch over both lamps.

Philip Fisher
Dec 29th, 2006, 18:04
....I have a V50, but without bi-xenons. Switch inside both light units, both faced the same way and when I went abroad I switched them both the other way and vica-versa when I came back. Can't imagine that with your lights that they should be facing different ways?

Perhaps you could park it near a wall in the dark and have a play and look at the beam pattern. If needed you could chalk the light beam on the wall and then switch over and compare? Bit of a pain as they have to come out to do this, but might satisfy you?

Have fun....

Philip

spiderman
Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:48
Thanks for your suggestions. The lamps are not that hard to take out on the MY2007 and it's fairly easy to change the switch. I suppose that the UK dealer forgot to change one of the lamps when they imported the car for me and had to change them for UK driving. (In case you wondered...I prefer to have a LHD vehicle even though currently resident in the UK)

Mind you in The Netherlands dealers weren't even aware you can just change the light pattern using a switch and they all wanted to sell me new units for use in the UK. What they mentioned to be fair is that in their part replacement lists there are headlight units especially for RHD and LHD vehicles.