PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Engine D5 : - 20,000km service interval ?

tigerbalm
Dec 31st, 2006, 23:26
I am awaiting the delivery of a new S40 D5 in February and I intend keeping it for at least five years.

I was wondering about your opinions on service intervals. A 20,000km service interval seems to be quite long for oil changes. Am I safe to just stick to this or do you folks change oil more frequently?

What oil does Volvo dealers use during regular servicing. The castrol website recommends I use "EDGE TURBO DIESEL 5W-40". What do you folks think?

Cheers ... and thanks for your comments !

Marmoset
Jan 2nd, 2007, 13:34
Over here in the UK it's 12,000 miles which is roughly the same as 20,000km. I'm comfortable with that but a lot of my colleagues with company cars have 20,000 mile (about 32,000km) service intervals - I wouldn't be happy with that if it was my car.

tigerbalm
Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:52
Firstly, sorry for draging up one of my old threads. Now that I have received the car I was wondering if anybody can tell me:

Does Volvo put "special oil" into the car from the factory -- i.e. oil that helps the engine wear in?

Thanks as always ...

4 forty
Feb 3rd, 2007, 13:30
out of curiosity, i rang three different dealers to see what brand they used, expecting some uniformity, i was surprised at the results.

mobil1
shell helix
castrol.

i also spoke to a representaive from castrol, about useing edge, and his reply was, unless the car was really been driven hard, use gtd magnatec. i have always used magnatec in my previous petrol asspirated cars with no complaints.

paul

7050man
Feb 3rd, 2007, 20:16
Firstly, sorry for draging up one of my old threads. Now that I have received the car I was wondering if anybody can tell me:

Does Volvo put "special oil" into the car from the factory -- i.e. oil that helps the engine wear in?

Thanks as always ...

Volvo UK didn't want to answer that when I asked the same question about what went in from factory.

My advice based on personall experience is if you drive the car regularly on motorways, for longer journeys ie oil gets nice and hot, then semi synthetic oil will suffice with the recommended interval. If however the car never fully warms up, then whatever oil you use, change it more frequently.

My old V70 classic, had 70k miles on the clock when first mot test carried out and emmission test showed absolutely no wear on engine. Oil used was shell helix 10w40 semi synthetic except from the first service when another dealer put in Esso Ultra 5w40 fully synthetic. Car was used for long journeys only.

My V50 (2.0D E4) uses correct Ford spec oil Shell semi syn 5w 30. I don't see any point in the extra expense of fully synthetic as the car is still used under the same conditions.

BY the way the Castrol help desk is very helpfull in my experience.