PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Replacement windscreens from Brookhouse

ExCee70
Aug 20th, 2019, 11:59
Morning All,

Does anyone have any experience of the replacement Amazon windscreens sold by Brookhouse?

Anyone have any idea who manufactures them and are they good quality, strong screens?

I know Pilkingtons now do classic car screens and was wondering if that could be another option to replacing mine.

Many thanks,

Mike.

Derek UK
Aug 20th, 2019, 14:22
Unless they have started up a new facility, Pilkingtons closed the Classic Glass unit at Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey, Kent, quite a few years ago. I think that coincided with Pilkington's purchase by a Japanese glass company.
Brookhouse screens should be good and accurate. They are probably the same ones supplied by all of Europes Volvo parts suppliers. Used to be able to get them from Volvo main dealers at a sensible price too but not had anybody confirm that recently. Possibly only ones with a tinted top strip?

arcturus
Aug 20th, 2019, 16:11
Got mine from VP auto parts.

Faust
Aug 20th, 2019, 16:16
I fitted a heated rear screen supplied by Brookhouse 3 years ago...

No problems to report (should add that if you use your Amazon all year round as I do, a HRW is essential!).

The only thing to report is that Simon strongly advised opening the screen and checking it was undamaged before signing the courier delivery slip - he stated this was because if the screen was refused delivery due to damage he'd be able to offer a refund - if you left the box for a couple of weeks before opening and that the screen was knackered, then I'd not get a refund.

Seems fair to me, but I just wanted to mention it.

ExCee70
Aug 20th, 2019, 16:27
Unless they have started up a new facility, Pilkingtons closed the Classic Glass unit at Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey, Kent, quite a few years ago. I think that coincided with Pilkington's purchase by a Japanese glass company.
Brookhouse screens should be good and accurate. They are probably the same ones supplied by all of Europes Volvo parts suppliers. Used to be able to get them from Volvo main dealers at a sensible price too but not had anybody confirm that recently. Possibly only ones with a tinted top strip?

They have indeed started up again....

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/automotive/classic-car-glass/classic-car-windscreen

I've also got my tame Volvo parts guy looking to see if he can source one from Volvo but both these avenues may be prohibitively expensive compared to Brookhouse.

Many thanks for the info.

ExCee70
Aug 20th, 2019, 16:31
I fitted a heated rear screen supplied by Brookhouse 3 years ago...

No problems to report (should add that if you use your Amazon all year round as I do, a HRW is essential!).

The only thing to report is that Simon strongly advised opening the screen and checking it was undamaged before signing the courier delivery slip - he stated this was because if the screen was refused delivery due to damage he'd be able to offer a refund - if you left the box for a couple of weeks before opening and that the screen was knackered, then I'd not get a refund.

Seems fair to me, but I just wanted to mention it.

Thanks Mike, I was also looking at an HRW. Nowt wrong wit the one that's in really so may just go with a decent aftermarket stick on job which is easily removed if a future owner doesn't like it.

Brookhouse now actually state clearly they cannot insure the windscreens for damage so it seems to be at your risk. In all honesty I'd probably take a trip down to collect. Even from Cheshire it would be cheaper than ending up with two knackered screens on the doorstep.

Cheers.

Derek UK
Aug 21st, 2019, 13:16
Yes. I have seen that Pilkington website but it hasn't changed for a long while. I do note a small reference to them having a stand at the 2018 November NEC show so maybe they really can supply. They do list screens for Amazons and others. Don't know if they have a UK factory making classic glass though.