PDA

View Full Version : PV: - Cross member repaired

adarvasi
Oct 8th, 2019, 00:28
After disassembling the front end we discovered that it had been hit pretty hard and very bad repair done, attached you will find the pictures of the before and after pictures and the final result, which I am very satisfied with. There is a gap of 5.5 mm at the fork attaching point on the repair side which will be compensated with washers, there was no other way to solve it.

Army
Oct 8th, 2019, 01:32
I hope the rest of the car is OK after having a knock like that (I'd be making loads of other measurements to make sure)

Have you tried to find a replacement sub frame?

Derek UK
Oct 8th, 2019, 11:15
The welder should have squared it up on that bench before adding a couple of initial tack welds, than you wouldn't have the alignment problem. The 5.5mm spacers could be welded on, that would stop any shuffling about in the future.
If the welder had OCD, he would start again! :angel_smile:

adarvasi
Oct 8th, 2019, 14:01
I hope the rest of the car is OK after having a knock like that (I'd be making loads of other measurements to make sure)

Have you tried to find a replacement sub frame?

Hello Army, thankfully after careful measurements, the car does not have any other deviations.
Sincerely I a did not try very hard together a replacement sub frame, I didn't think that the issue was that serious.

adarvasi
Oct 8th, 2019, 14:08
The welder should have squared it up on that bench before adding a couple of initial tack welds, than you wouldn't have the alignment problem. The 5.5mm spacers could be welded on, that would stop any shuffling about in the future.
If the welder had OCD, he would start again! :angel_smile:

Derek, the alignment problem is not at the repair spot, it is caused by the deformation of the stamped bottom below the repair (see picture). The repair is perfectly aligned with the rest of the holes on both sides vertically and horizontally, and the distances are dead on.
The idea of welding the spacers is a very good solution.

Ron Kwas
Oct 8th, 2019, 19:29
adarvasi;

When the Cross-member is fully removed from vehicle, the welder is able to fixture and check it, and do a much nicer job than when working under the car, where access is limited, contortions are often necessary, not to mention the possibility of falling molten metal...it certainly looks like a clean repair now!

Cheers