PDA

View Full Version : Amazon: - Wiring problem

Thowdfella
Oct 25th, 2019, 15:17
I have a 1966 122s and the wiring is a mess which I am slowly sorting out.
I have just got the roof light in the front to work but cannot get the two courtesy lights in the rear of the car to work. I have the electrical book with various wiring diagrams but none of them show the two rear lights. Can anyone tell me how the should be wired please? There are no switches on them so I would have thought they would come on when the front roof light comes on.
Thanks

Ron Kwas
Oct 25th, 2019, 15:35
TF;

Amazons only had the front Courtesy Light from the factory...any rear C Lights will be something that a PO installed... and in that case, you will need to carefully inspect installation, circuit, and measure voltages to see what's what...fused power source for OE C Light is Fuse 4, and if you're lucky, they simply added these C Lights onto that circuit...and IF they installed C Lights from a P1800, (BIG IF!!) be advised that these do in fact have a local switch...by lifting the Lens slightly, it closes a contact which allows current to flow through lamp...

Good Hunting!

Thowdfella
Oct 26th, 2019, 14:23
Thanks for that- explains why there is nothing on the circuit diagram.
I have removed one and it must have been an optional extra as there are two holes in the chassis to take the light bits and the wiring but now I have to trace where the wires go as there is obviously a switch somewhere there is none built into the light. The light covers are open at the bottom end but there is no switch on the lights.

Triple-S
Oct 26th, 2019, 14:54
Just a thought - my Amazon Estate has a small switch at each side of the car's instrument panel. They are at the outermost ends of the under-flange of the metal panel (if you follow). Mine had one operate a light next to the parcels-shelf: I used the other one for the spotlights (but that was my idea, not necessarily a factory option).
Maybe?

P

Derek UK
Oct 27th, 2019, 21:10
All Amazons had a hole at the end under the dash for the shelf lights RHD and LHD. The 123 GT had an extra one added on the drivers side, again RHD or LHD, and this pair switched the GT's fog and spot lights separately as needed. All switches were the same type.
As said, no rear courtesy lights on Amazon saloons. Would be easy to fit though and the 1800 type with the rocking lens switch does at least keep it Volvo.

Thowdfella
Oct 28th, 2019, 07:39
Thanks for the replies. however I have now traced the wires and they go to door switches in the rear door columns just the same as the front doors.
The 12 volt supply was broken to the lights but now I have repaired it both lights work when either rear door is opened. All the holes in the car for the lights and wires were obviously built in to the car as standard so these must have been an optional extra. It is a British registered car so maybe this was only for this Country.

Derek UK
Oct 28th, 2019, 14:10
Still not factory AFAIK. Maybe used as a taxi in the distant past?

Ron Kwas
Oct 28th, 2019, 16:15
Derek;

I agree...no matter how cleanly it may have been done, it wasn't done that way by the factory!

Cheers