PDA

View Full Version : antifreeze

TIGERRYES
Dec 2nd, 2019, 15:02
Just a quick question, my S40 diesel has an orange colour antifreeze/coolant. I wanted to be sure the antifreeze was still good and covered the required temperature for winter. I bought one of those meter thingys to measure strength of antifreeze. It seemed rather high. The meter says for ethylene glycol, do I have the right tester please?

brutusmotorsport
Dec 2nd, 2019, 15:09
in 30 years doing my own vehicles ive never used a tester. ive always made sure that there was plenty fresh antifreeze in every year.

TIGERRYES
Dec 2nd, 2019, 19:34
Well I just wanted to know what type of antifreeze Volvo use so I can find out if I have the right tester

harveys
Dec 2nd, 2019, 20:45
Well I just wanted to know what type of antifreeze Volvo use so I can find out if I have the right tester
Volvo Antifreeze is green if it helps.

FredGraham
Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:30
Hi
With my limited knowledge, I've always been told never to mix the colours.
Fred

TIGERRYES
Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:34
Volvo Antifreeze is green if it helps.

Well it's not Volvo stuff then, this is orange. I just wanted to know if my tester was the right one. Thanks for your help everyone

LizardOfBodom
Dec 3rd, 2019, 12:34
Well it's not Volvo stuff then, this is orange. I just wanted to know if my tester was the right one. Thanks for your help everyone

SOme technical jibberish from another forum:

------------------
OAT anti-freeze/OAT coolant
OAT stands for Organic Acid Technology.OAT anti-freeze contain ingredients such as 2-EHA, sebacate and other various organic acids. Unlike green anti-freeze, they generally do not contain silicates or phosphates. Usually, OAT-based coolants will be dyed a different colour to green anti-freeze. They must be changed once every five years or 150,000 miles.

HOAT anti-freeze/HOAT coolant
HOAT stands for Hybrid OAT. These antifreeze use organic acids but not 2-EHA and usually include silicates to provide protection for aluminium surfaces. HOAT anti-freezes are used by many European car manufacturers, although they are also used by American companies such as Chrysler and Ford. A HOAT coolant will need to be changed every five years or 150,000 miles.

------------------

bottom line is, the only important stuff is if your AF is OAT or HOAT- wrong one can cause havoc on aluminium radiator and block, BUT it doesnt mean it has to be certain colour. Volvo AF is green/blueish, true, but I have seen yellow/red/pink AF's that were also to spec and just differ in colour.

even more bottom line - if you are unsure, just do a full flush and apply new one, it will do no harm to refresh it and atelast you will have 100% certianity whats there. :)

IainG
Dec 3rd, 2019, 15:31
Hi
My V50 has had the pinky red antifreeze in from new. Assumed it was different to a "normal" Volvo as the engine is a Ford one. Again I assume it is OAT AF

Iain