PDA

View Full Version : General: - Software uploads

Willow
Jan 11th, 2007, 11:39
Does anyone know how Volvo organise the software on our cars? Is it one common software load for all models (or more likely one per engine variant) or is it a lot of different patches they upload to fix different problems?

The reason I ask is that there seems to be software fixes for various problems, so will I automatically get the latest software fixing all the problems (even ones I don’t know I’ve got) or do I have to ask for each one?

Last weekend I told my dealer I wasn’t happy with the cold running on my 2.4i, they uploaded some new software and now it’s much better, not perfect, but improved. Would I have eventually got this upload if I hadn’t noted the problem I wonder?

pigapumbu
Jan 11th, 2007, 13:08
yes I am curious too. I recently had a dealer remove the daylight running on my V50. Now I decide when the lights come on but I got a charge for labour and parts.

When I asked what the parts were, the service person told me its the charge to purchase the software patch to enable them to program that the lights be turned off.

I wonder if the car came with all this built into the software and the dealer just makes money by telling me they have to buy whats already in the car OR its true,.. the software comes as patches that are purchased and added.

Hope someone can shed some light on this. thanks

regards
ERIC

S60-MBS
Jan 11th, 2007, 13:46
The software has to be paid for by dealers before its downloaded from Vida or Vadis website...although the labour is cheap the software can be very expensive..i recently fitted a trip computer to my car the part was if remember about £35 ..fittted myself ..software £200 plus labour of £50...Extorsion i call it..the software does come in different patches for all different modes of cars and different items...

7050man
Jan 11th, 2007, 17:26
Recently had a fault with may car and in process of diagnostic, dealer loaded two software upgrades.

I suspect that there will be various files for various functions including accessories that may or may not be fitted. For essential core files these will possibly be loaded because they improve the car. For non essential files these will be at the discretion of the customer/dealer as there will undoubtedly be a licence fee to be paid.

I don't know for sure what Volvo policy is, as I don't work for Volvo, but in the course of my work I do load (flash) software upgrades for network high volume printers (Canon, Ricoh, Kodak) and the principle is much the same.

shandy
Jan 14th, 2007, 22:30
Recently my V50 went into the garage for continuing faults. yet again, more software upgrades were downloaded to my car.
Whats this all about? Surely Volvo are admitting that they didnt get it right the first time, or the second onwards....
If the faults persist, surley volvo should provide free upgrade for the life of the car. Why should the customer pay for their original mess.
I know i will sell my car before the warranty runs out.

7050man
Jan 15th, 2007, 17:31
Recently my V50 went into the garage for continuing faults. yet again, more software upgrades were downloaded to my car.
Whats this all about? Surely Volvo are admitting that they didnt get it right the first time, or the second onwards....
If the faults persist, surley volvo should provide free upgrade for the life of the car. Why should the customer pay for their original mess.
I know i will sell my car before the warranty runs out.

There are many valid reasons why Volvo or any manufacture of equipment doesn't get it right first time, hence the need for upgrades. At least Volvo are actually working on upgrades and trying to fix newly discovered weaknesses.

However in my experience there are two main reasons. First the development is done by us the consumer, ie the product is launched not having been fully tested. Secondly, practical problems are experienced that weren't anticipated at the design stage.
The first is obviously undesirable, the second a fact of life with modern sophistocated micro computer driven machinery.

I expect that Volvo's policy is to issue software free of charge if it improves product reliability and keeps it's client base happy.
It's up to the dealers to ensure that it is actually loaded.
If upgrade is purely to change functionality then a charge would probably be made.

If your car has had an upgrade as in the course of diagnostic process, I would be inclined to ask what dealer policy is and why it hadn't been upgraded before. At least if your car is running with the latest software then if there are continuing faults, software can immediately be ruled out (unless there is corruption).
I suspect that the dealer is letting you down, not Volvo or the software.

Of course I am only speculating re Volvo's upgrade policy but in general product lifecycle terms, this is what it's all about. Perhaps someone more in the know can enlighten us as regards Volvo's policy.

Willow
Jan 16th, 2007, 08:43
I expect that Volvo's policy is to issue software free of charge if it improves product reliability and keeps it's client base happy. It's up to the dealers to ensure that it is actually loaded. If upgrade is purely to change functionality then a charge would probably be made.

I was in my dealership again at the weekend and this is pretty much what the service manager said when I asked him about software uploads.