PDA

View Full Version : terra clean on my v50 2.0d 155k

theharomaster
Dec 16th, 2019, 08:58
morning guys
so having owned for a month and with over 155k on the clock
with no service history I'm now having the famous terra clean booked for tomorrow!!...sort of looking forward to it
update you all very soon

PRainbow
Dec 17th, 2019, 22:34
What is a terraclean? Sounds painful.

Ukwide
Dec 17th, 2019, 23:58

It’s a chemical system that flushes your engine clean and comes highly recommended by Ed China and others, it’s supposed to take it back to near new condition.

Never used it or know of anyone who has, so will be interested to heaR the results.

RollingThunder
Dec 18th, 2019, 13:31
Me too - I've never seen any genuine first hand reviews so I'd be interested to see if you really can tell the difference.

FunkyMelon
Dec 18th, 2019, 14:45
It's very much a con with a placebo effect.

Seriously, just don't waste your money on it.

Tannaton
Dec 18th, 2019, 15:16
Let's see what he reports back with - but it sounds very similar to Liqui Moly Diesel Purge which can be effective on older diesel engines and is frequently used by other forum members on D5's.

The key point is the only way these potions and lotions can make a lasting difference is if the fuel system is dismantled and the engine is run neat on them. In-tank additives are a waste of time (other than a temporary octane booster) because if they were any good as a cleaning agent they would dissolve all the crap in the tank bottom and fuel filter and then drag that through the HP pump and injectors - not what you want...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFkW8zYzkQ4

Ukwide
Dec 18th, 2019, 16:47
It's very much a con with a placebo effect.

Seriously, just don't waste your money on it.

I do remember Ed China using it on Wheeler Dealers and it ‘recovered’ about 25 lost bhp, he then went on to advertise Terraclean nationally, so there must be something in their claims.

Zebster
Dec 18th, 2019, 18:04
I do remember Ed China using it on Wheeler Dealers and it ‘recovered’ about 25 lost bhp, he then went on to advertise Terraclean nationally, so there must be something in their claims.
Or maybe he was singing its praises to get that advertising gig? Or maybe he was already in their pay when recording that episode of WD? I don't know!

ksmi
Dec 18th, 2019, 18:25

I have heard it's for constipated children whose parents can't afford Ex lax. They sit them on a potty and tell them ghost stories.:speechless-smiley-5

Regards,Keith.

bugsb
Dec 18th, 2019, 20:45
correct me if wrong but my understanding is you disconnect the fuel system and run the engine on terra clean , as all cars are now fitted with injectors it wont clean the intake side of the engine so you will still have to remove the inlet manifold to clean by hand and the inlet valves will stay clogged up

phil1968
Dec 18th, 2019, 21:23
correct me if wrong but my understanding is you disconnect the fuel system and run the engine on terra clean , as all cars are now fitted with injectors it wont clean the intake side of the engine so you will still have to remove the inlet manifold to clean by hand and the inlet valves will stay clogged up
Exactamundo. I'm happy for it to be proven otherwise but it's utter snake oil IMO. You'd be (literally) much better off adding fuel system cleaner to every other tank if you want the same effect.

Zebster
Dec 18th, 2019, 21:38
Exactamundo. I'm happy for it to be proven otherwise but it's utter snake oil IMO. You'd be (literally) much better off adding fuel system cleaner to every other tank if you want the same effect.
The effect being placebo?

phil1968
Dec 18th, 2019, 21:49
The effect being placebo?

There is evidence to suggest fuel system cleaners do work:

https://youtu.be/03nL8Z0dRkI

...but as I said I'd rather use a 5 quid bottle rather than pay the 100 quid or whatever it is to have a Terraclean. It's called "Terra****" in the motor trade for a reason.

PRainbow
Dec 18th, 2019, 22:06
Bit like Molyslip a few years ago then. Was hailed as brilliant for a year or so, now you never hear of it, or when you do it is not good.

Put that in your kids ex lax for that constipation cure!

bugsb
Dec 20th, 2019, 18:14
that 5th gear redex test was very good in the results , i keep an eye in asda for there deals so mine and the mrs car can get some redex twice a year

There is evidence to suggest fuel system cleaners do work:

https://youtu.be/03nL8Z0dRkI

...but as I said I'd rather use a 5 quid bottle rather than pay the 100 quid or whatever it is to have a Terraclean. It's called "Terra****" in the motor trade for a reason.

Tannaton
Dec 22nd, 2019, 09:00
I’m skeptical of the 5th gear redex test as they used a double dose, and didn’t run the tank empty and refill so there would have been an octane boost as well whilst the additive was in.... also it was an older petrol car, not diesel....

I say again any in tank additive is a maintenance dose not a cleaner because if it was any good, it would dissolve the dirt in the tank and fuel filter and then drag that through you injectors, pump and regulator - not a good idea. There may well be improvements from improved octane but that’s a different story.

It’s the same as adding a cap full of T-cut to your wash bucket and expecting a polished car at the end of the year...

XC90Mk1
Dec 22nd, 2019, 21:29
A work colleague has a terraclean on his Ford Focus with 100k plus miles on it. He reckoned it. I think it’s probably on balance of value to use.

domhart10
Dec 23rd, 2019, 07:51
Yeh never been a fan of any of this, or using that redex stuff really. With Tannaton on this. Either way its not looking good for the guys car so far, being that he said he would update all very soon ...

theharomaster
Dec 24th, 2019, 19:01
hi guys
so had the terra clean done on my 155k 2.0 d
well I have not noticed anything
improved mpg or power!!
I bought car with no service history so for all I know it could have had an engine
change 10k ago!!
so it cost me £130 but what I do know is my engine should be clean from all carbon deposits or gummy injectors
cam belt change it is next to do
Eddie

Bonefishblues
Dec 24th, 2019, 19:06
Didn't you take the special placebo pill? :shocked:

RollingThunder
Dec 28th, 2019, 08:57
Thats a shame Eddie. I was kind of hoping that you'd prove all the doubters wrong, even if I also had niggling suspicions. At least we know now - thanks for being the guinea pig

Zebster
Dec 28th, 2019, 09:17
It only works if you really, really believe...

StatusRed
Dec 28th, 2019, 17:05
I got my S40 terracleaned about 2 years ago, I can't say I noticed any difference but I don't regret it as a bit of preventative maintenance, had about 125K miles on the clock at the time.

phil1968
Dec 28th, 2019, 18:03
I would ask; if no difference is felt or improvement in fuel consumption is experienced then surely no good has been done? Where has the procedure supposedly cleaned?

Simmy
Dec 28th, 2019, 20:08
hi guys
so had the terra clean done on my 155k 2.0 d
well I have not noticed anything
improved mpg or power!!
I bought car with no service history so for all I know it could have had an engine
change 10k ago!!
so it cost me £130 but what I do know is my engine should be clean from all carbon deposits or gummy injectors
cam belt change it is next to do
Eddie

did you watch the process or did u leave it to be done .for£130 i would need to watch .

StatusRed
Dec 28th, 2019, 21:42
I would ask; if no difference is felt or improvement in fuel consumption is experienced then surely no good has been done? Where has the procedure supposedly cleaned?

This is what I mean by.. I don't regret it as a preventative measure due to its cleaning of fuel injectors and exhaust system etc.. I wasn't expecting any immediate effect when my car was running fine anyway. My hope is that, it's kept it running fine for longer. If you're tight on money then yes I wouldn't advise it, but if like me you have spare money to spend and want to do this as a preventative measure then I think it's worth a punt.

did you watch the process or did u leave it to be done .for£130 i would need to watch .

I watched / saw but there isn't really much to see, the car is just connected up to the machine and drawing the fuel from there.

magnuz
Dec 29th, 2019, 13:34
I used some wynns cat & lambda cleaner in the tank a few weeks before MOT.
When i put the stuff in the tank there was a significant improvement in responsiveness, & ran smoother, but when it was all run out of the tank & refilled with petrol, it was more or less like it was before i used it.
It did pass the emissions test though !