PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Electrics : - Hazard lights relay. Where is it located?

fishbone
Dec 22nd, 2019, 12:25
Hi. All hazard lights are not working on left hand side. When I switch on left turn signal they are not working as well but the arrow flashes too fast. Where can I find a relay or fuse to check if it's still good? Is not in the fuse box or CEM.
S40 1.6d 2010

Clan
Dec 22nd, 2019, 14:28
Hi. All hazard lights are not working on left hand side. When I switch on left turn signal they are not working as well but the arrow flashes too fast. Where can I find a relay or fuse to check if it's still good? Is not in the fuse box or CEM.
S40 1.6d 2010

Things have moved on , flasher relays died out 20 years ago :-)
It flashes fast to warn you there is a bulb out .. are you saying both the left hand indicators are not working? What about the one in the left mirror ? and the left warning light?

Sidonas
Dec 22nd, 2019, 14:29
It's either the bulb in the side mirror or the one in the headlight housing that's failed. If one fails, for some reason both of them stop working and then only the rear one blinks at astronomical speeds. I'd start by switching sides for the one in the headlight housing, as it's more easily accessible. If not, change the one in the mirror.

fishbone
Dec 22nd, 2019, 15:05
Things have moved on , flasher relays died out 20 years ago :-)
It flashes fast to warn you there is a bulb out .. are you saying both the left hand indicators are not working? What about the one in the left mirror ? and the left warning light?

all three left sided blinkers are not working, front-mirror-rear. They don't work if I indicate left or switch on hazard lights. Haven't check any bulb yet because tought if non of them are working should be fuse or relay so I'll have a look. Thanks all for advices.

Clan
Dec 22nd, 2019, 18:37
all three left sided blinkers are not working, front-mirror-rear. They don't work if I indicate left or switch on hazard lights. Haven't check any bulb yet because tought if non of them are working should be fuse or relay so I'll have a look. Thanks all for advices.

ok , there are no fuses the CEM directly drives the indicator bulbs , the left and rear bulbs have their own output pins and the mirror indicator is operated by the door module in the door when it gets an instruction from the CEM over the network .. Saying all that it would seem to be the CEM is not getting the signal from the indicator stalk ... However if the Hazzard shows the same problem it could be an internal fault with the CEM .

I would disconnect the battery and take all the plugs out of the CEM and use contact cleaner on all the plugs and put it back , connect the battery and try again .

The dealer's diagnostic equipment can easily check whether the signal is coming from the stalk , and if the signal is being output to the indicator bulbs .
This is not really something you can do at home ..

one thought , if one bulb has a short circuit it will close down that side by the built in protection circuits so take all the 3 bulbs out and check them , put each one back and try each one individually .

fishbone
Feb 1st, 2020, 16:54
Hi all. Sorry for long response. Mirror bulb socket had rust, after cleaning all flashers are working fine. Thank you all for advices.