PDA

View Full Version : C30 2.0 diesel issue

J4OE H
Dec 29th, 2019, 19:34
Hi, I am new to this site and infact, new to volvo's.

Last week I purchased my c30 2.0 diesel, its on a 10 plate with 85k on it. whilst looking over it with a friend, everything was perfect, no reasons not to buy it, so I bought it. Literally 10 miles after paying for it the 'engine system service required' light came on but kept going off, then half way home it went into limp mode. keyed off and on, and it drove fine. But everytime you'd try and rev it high or get it going, it would flash the light and go into limp mode.

When we got home, my mechanic friend checked the codes and we got : P2263- Turbocharger boost system performance, P242F- DPF ash accumulation and P2452 DPF pressure sensor "A" circuit. As the car was due a service anyway, we carried out a full service including DPF fluid top up and also stuck on a new DPF pressure sensor. My friends diagnostic machine is only simple but it was able to force a regen, so we did.

The car now doesnt go into limp mode and drives ok, but it still flashes up the 'engine system service required' light. I've noticed it mainly does it in 4th gear onwards and when driving up a hill and when its revving at about 3000RPM or higher. But it then clears itself and no codes are stored.

And lastly, the MPG is terrible, its only doing around 30MPG! and theres abit of a exhaust smell inside (if its linked)

All parts used were genuine and its does have full service history. But the previous owner only did about 3 miles a day, hence his sale. And whilst servicing it we checked over the rubber pipes from the sensor to DPF and they were fine.

Sorry for the long story, I've looked around online and cant really find an appropriate query so thought id tell my story.

Anyway advice appreciated. Jade.

Clan
Dec 29th, 2019, 21:40
Hi, I am new to this site and infact, new to volvo's.

Last week I purchased my c30 2.0 diesel, its on a 10 plate with 85k on it. whilst looking over it with a friend, everything was perfect, no reasons not to buy it, so I bought it. Literally 10 miles after paying for it the 'engine system service required' light came on but kept going off, then half way home it went into limp mode. keyed off and on, and it drove fine. But everytime you'd try and rev it high or get it going, it would flash the light and go into limp mode.

When we got home, my mechanic friend checked the codes and we got : P2263- Turbocharger boost system performance, P242F- DPF ash accumulation and P2452 DPF pressure sensor "A" circuit. As the car was due a service anyway, we carried out a full service including DPF fluid top up and also stuck on a new DPF pressure sensor. My friends diagnostic machine is only simple but it was able to force a regen, so we did.

The car now doesnt go into limp mode and drives ok, but it still flashes up the 'engine system service required' light. I've noticed it mainly does it in 4th gear onwards and when driving up a hill and when its revving at about 3000RPM or higher. But it then clears itself and no codes are stored.

And lastly, the MPG is terrible, its only doing around 30MPG! and theres abit of a exhaust smell inside (if its linked)

All parts used were genuine and its does have full service history. But the previous owner only did about 3 miles a day, hence his sale. And whilst servicing it we checked over the rubber pipes from the sensor to DPF and they were fine.

Sorry for the long story, I've looked around online and cant really find an appropriate query so thought id tell my story.

Anyway advice appreciated. Jade.

you need to reset the level gauge in the additive tank when you fill it , this is done with the VIDA volvo diagnostic PC .. also you need to check the DPF pressure sensor readings at idle and when revving in neutral to see if the pressure is excessive which may indicate a blocked particle filter , which should be changed at every 75000 mile service , i bet it wasn't and it is no longer capable of doing the job .. I daresay that is why they sold the car .. best take it back to the garage who sold it to you . why are you spending money on parts ?

J4OE H
Dec 30th, 2019, 11:43
Hi, thanks for the reply.

it was a case of trail and error, as i read they were fairly common to go and fairly cheap to buy. I purchased the car privately, it was cheap for a facelift but i put it down to the wrong time of year to be buying. I also read DPFs should last longer than 75k if it regens often enough?
So if i booked it in at volvo they should be able to tell me if the DPF is certainly the issue? it just i only have basic diagnostics available.
If it is the DPF, why is it no longer going into limp mode?

Thanks.

J4OE H
Dec 30th, 2019, 12:19
Quick update. Just checked the codes again and P2263 turbo boost system is back but the car seems to drive fine?

Clan
Dec 30th, 2019, 16:48
Hi, thanks for the reply.

it was a case of trail and error, as i read they were fairly common to go and fairly cheap to buy. I purchased the car privately, it was cheap for a facelift but i put it down to the wrong time of year to be buying. I also read DPFs should last longer than 75k if it regens often enough?
So if i booked it in at volvo they should be able to tell me if the DPF is certainly the issue? it just i only have basic diagnostics available.
If it is the DPF, why is it no longer going into limp mode?

Thanks.

Don't believe all you read on the internet , most of the DPF problems are due to neglect or ignorance .. otherwise they work fine for their life time , sometime the pressure sensor can get blocked with condensation if a lot of short journeys are done , also the rubber pipes to the sensor can crack .

After 75000 miles the DPF Performance slowly drops off as the flow gets restricted and the active substance inside disappears , if neglected the engine gets less and less efficient until the filter blocks some time around 90000 - 100,000 miles .....

here is what volvo publish about it:

Important information for maintenance service programme, 4-cyl Diesel engines with ADM and/or DPF fitted
Should a customer refuse refilling of the Additive Dosing Module (ADM) every 60.000 km / 36000 miles and/or the replacement of the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) every 120.000 km / 72.000 miles (Engine with Emission code 5) then Volvo Car Corporation has issued the following warning:

Negligence to refill the ADM at every 60.000 km / 36000 miles maintenance service interval, and/or replace the DPF at every 120.000 km/72.000 miles maintenance service interval may result in one or more of the following issues:

- Heavy soot loading resulting in high DPF temperature during regeneration.

- High oil dilution (fuel in oil) resulting in engine damage or risk of unwanted increase in engine speed.

- Vehicle fuel consumption may dramatically increase.

If this occurs neither Volvo Car Corporation nor the servicing dealer will be responsible for the cost of any damage.

Note- If the additive level in the ADM is too low or if there is a malfunction of the DPF one or more diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are set, resulting in a text message and/or the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is lit in the combined instrument. If this occurs between the stated maintenance service intervals it must be viewed upon as serious and the vehicle must be handled in accordance to relevant fault tracing in VIDA.

As stated in the Service and Warranty Manual, negligence to contact a Volvo dealer when text messages appears and/or MIL is lit results in Volvo Car Corporation's (VCC) warranty obligation being withdrawn. This also applies if the VCC maintenance service programme is not performed in accordance with the Service Programme check-sheet and VIDA at the stated service intervals.

J4OE H
Jan 1st, 2020, 11:29
so is it possibly the DPF still needs replacing? even though it doesnt go into limp mode and that code was for the turbo?

thanks for your time, i appreciate it

Clan
Jan 1st, 2020, 11:32
so is it possibly the DPF still needs replacing? even though it doesnt go into limp mode and that code was for the turbo?

thanks for your time, i appreciate it

There is no point in guessing , a proper diagnosis has to be carried out , the reading from the pressure sensor will tell if it is blocked , it's life is determined by the mileage , if it has gone past 75000 miles it will be much less efficient as explained in the blue text in my last post from a service bulletin ...

saltos
Jan 6th, 2020, 18:28
Get your self a vida diagnostic tool

Then take ir from there

J4OE H
Feb 7th, 2020, 16:50
Its been a while but I have and upade.

So, after deleting the codes and only the turbo code came back i found the actuator position sensor on the back of the turbo damaged so I sourced one and replaced. But after a little while i had the dreaded DPF codes come back so I bit the bullet and took it to volvo who tested it and said it needed replacing. Its been replaced and all good.

BUT NOW... bloody volvo lol... when its cold it idles abit rough and when you drive off it misfires in 2nd gear, but only second and goes once warm. Was driving it tonight and felt it starting to misfire slightly but only in 2nd and under light acceleration. Giving it the beans is fine. and its also very smokey, asin black smoke. What are the injectors like on these and is it likely I have one on the way out? also, I've checked and no fault codes have been logged.