PDA

View Full Version : Projector lens cleaning problem

V50 Craig
Dec 31st, 2019, 10:05
Hi all.

I'm trying to remove my projector lenses to give them a clean as they are a little dirty.....I know there are 3x t25 torx bolts holding them in....on the pre facelift it seems easy enough but on my facelifted V50 the 1 torx seems almost impossible to access! Any tips?

V50 Craig
Dec 31st, 2019, 10:10
It's the one left in on the photo....has a plastic piece above it stopping access

V50 Craig
Dec 31st, 2019, 10:29
It's ok all done

Tiggerbits
Dec 31st, 2019, 11:39
Hi,

Care to share how you managed this, as its on my to-do list?

thanks

V50 Craig
Dec 31st, 2019, 12:26
Hi,

Care to share how you managed this, as its on my to-do list?

thanks

Hi. I didn't take pictures as I went but I can describe as best as I can.

- pull the pin out behind headlight, pull headkight out and disconnect wiring harness (unit should now be free)
- open the back up and remove the headlight bulb as normal
- there are 3x t25 torx bolts to undo (ill attach a pic and show were they are the green circled ones are the easy ones and tye red circled is the awkward one)
- two are easy to get out. To get the awkward one you literally have to carefilly pull the projector using the flex of the plastic over just enough so you can get the screwdriver on the torx bolt (it does feel like it may break but it seems to be the only way to get access.
- then the projector lens just pulls out of the back. Clean both sides of the lens with just a microfibre cloth and the chrome reflector and then pop it back it and put the screws back in.

Again that awakward screw is a pain but if you have small hands and a bit of patience you should be able to get it all back together.

Hope this helps

Tiggerbits
Jan 1st, 2020, 14:50
Thanks alot, brilliant help. I wasnt sure how much flex the plastic has but I will give it a try, nice and slow of course.

Only other option I found was to buy a set of ultra low profile torx bits from amazon or somewhere.

V50 Craig
Jan 1st, 2020, 14:56
Thanks alot, brilliant help. I wasnt sure how much flex the plastic has but I will give it a try, nice and slow of course.

Only other option I found was to buy a set of ultra low profile torx bits from amazon or somewhere.

Yeah the flex is just enough! If you push hard enough the whole casing inside pops out but it doesn't really improve access for that torx. Just slow pressure and you'll see.

It does make a difference to be fair even if it doesn't appear that they look much cleaner!

LizardOfBodom
Jan 6th, 2020, 13:13
Regarding the "3rd torx" , I found out that best tactic is to use the horizontal allignment screw to rotate projector towards one side as much as possible, it will reveal the torx head and allow you to put screwdriver on, no problem. just count the amount of rotations you do to rotate it back the same amount later on.

RollingThunder
Jan 7th, 2020, 07:40
Thanks for that tip. I'm hoping to be replacing my projectors with the Retrofit Lab ones this weekend :)