PDA

View Full Version : V50 tailgate spoiler downforce

Thekilt
Dec 31st, 2019, 17:43
Silly question, but wondered if anyone actually knows this... does the spoiler actually offer any downforce or is it purely aesthetic?

Simmy
Dec 31st, 2019, 17:51
dont think there is any downforce but it helps keep the rear screen clean.

Thekilt
Jan 1st, 2020, 15:39
dont think there is any downforce but it helps keep the rear screen clean.

Thanks Simmi, that makes the decision of not installing it. I would only want it if it offered any effect of downforce.

Maccmike
Jan 1st, 2020, 15:43
Very few road car spoilers actually produce downforce, however what they do do is reduce lift.
Therefor you would likely see some benefits but whether a none Lewis Hamilton would feel it is another matter.

Clan
Jan 1st, 2020, 16:45
Silly question, but wondered if anyone actually knows this... does the spoiler actually offer any downforce or is it purely aesthetic?

if it gave any downforce ( which is totally unnecessary ) it wouldn't come into effect under 80 mph , and your fuel gauge would be going down a lot faster !

lockstock
Jan 1st, 2020, 21:34
Very few road car spoilers actually produce downforce, however what they do do is reduce lift.
Therefor you would likely see some benefits but whether a none Lewis Hamilton would feel it is another matter.

curious what the difference between reduced lift and downforce is?

pinballdave
Jan 2nd, 2020, 09:59

If the car has a natural aerodynamic lift, then any aerodynamic device (ie spoiler) generates a force to correct this lift and bring the car back to neutral aerodynamics. 'Downforce' is only generated once the force is sufficient to push the car down beyond the neutral position.

The vast majority of road car spoilers are purely aesthetic styling choices, and are pretty insignificant aerodynamically. As Clam states any aerodynamic force will come with a fuel consumption penalty, and if the spoiler was to go the other way and improve the coefficient of drag the manufacturers would put it on all of their cars as better fuel consumption sells more cars.

Maccmike
Jan 2nd, 2020, 10:11

Lets say; a car weighs 1000kg.
At 100mph the car now weights 999kg due to the cars natural shape mimicking an aeroplane wing. The car has been lifted off the ground slightly.
A spoiler will reduce this lift and get it back to 1000kg.
A car that actually produces down force would weigh 1001kg at 100mph.
My numbers are purely for simplicity fyi.

lockstock
Jan 2nd, 2020, 11:50
If the car has a natural aerodynamic lift, then any aerodynamic device (ie spoiler) generates a force to correct this lift and bring the car back to neutral aerodynamics. 'Downforce' is only generated once the force is sufficient to push the car down beyond the neutral position.

The vast majority of road car spoilers are purely aesthetic styling choices, and are pretty insignificant aerodynamically. As Clam states any aerodynamic force will come with a fuel consumption penalty, and if the spoiler was to go the other way and improve the coefficient of drag the manufacturers would put it on all of their cars as better fuel consumption sells more cars.

pretty interesting. I did read the DRIVe models had flush under body panels and some othet tweaks to reduce drag, so I suppose it's possible these volvos might be quite neutral

Clan
Jan 2nd, 2020, 12:19
pretty interesting. I did read the DRIVe models had flush under body panels and some othet tweaks to reduce drag, so I suppose it's possible these volvos might be quite neutral

those wheels on the C30 Driv e were designed to save energy too , they do not have spokes which thrash into the air therefore creating energy loss which you have paid for with fuel !