PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading toV50

piperdave
Jan 3rd, 2020, 18:14
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading from an old V40 to a V50 (petrol). Any tips, hints, known probs to look out for?

Cheers

Dave

v50t5sesport
Jan 3rd, 2020, 18:49
Lots, I have a V50, it is of the FORD era, with lots of ford items failing, shock absorbers, driveshafts, starter motor - odd electrical faults such as non starting, and christmas tree lights on the dash. A clutch slave cylinder failure needed a new 4 piece clutch kit at nearly £1000, then the air con condensor failed, then just after that the oil separator trap (PCV system)
Early V50's are getting old now. Get a V70 2000 -2007, they are much better cars (I have had both). The previous V70 had over 250k before starting with any problems, the V50 hasn't even reached 150k. The only problem with the V70 (in my view) is the terrible turning circle - the worst in any car I have owned. Makes town driving hard work

alcashj94
Jan 4th, 2020, 10:10
I made that change a year ago, in my opinion the old V40 was a better car in terms of comfort, build quality and general 'feel'.
I've got a 1.8 petrol and find it underpowered, also has a thirst for oil.

Clan
Jan 4th, 2020, 13:27
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading from an old V40 to a V50 (petrol). Any tips, hints, known probs to look out for?

Cheers

Dave

Keep your V40 . it was one of the most trouble free volvos apart from the 340 and 240 era , not that the newer ones are particularly troublesome of course , but they will be more expensive to repair . ...

Tannaton
Jan 5th, 2020, 08:30
V50s are GOOD cars.... yes they are probably the most Ford based of any Volvo and this does mean they’re not built quite to P2 V70 standards but they are still substantially better than any Focus, Astra, etc. Of similar age. At that stage in the world economy it would not have been possible to competitively make a car to higher standards.

I’m my view if you want petrol then the 2.0 (Mazda engine) or 2.4 (Volvo engine) are the ones to look for. The T5 good fun but on an older car likely to be less reliable and harder to find an original, non thrashed one. 1.8 is underpowered. Petrol ones with those engines are quite rare, so you need to be prepared to travel.

Check all electrics - they’re not unreliable but can be expensive to fix. Check for even tyre wear front and rear and suspension knocks/noise. Check air con works. If you get an auto, get the fluid changed.

There are still some low mileage ones out there with good history if you look hard.

I do agree that the earlier V40 was probably a better car but at 24 years old and nearly 200k you are much nearer the end of that relationship than the beginning whichever way you look at it.... (looks out of window at 2003 XC90...).

What else would you get anyway?

andy_d
Jan 7th, 2020, 13:21

Cheers

Dave

the 1.6 engine, Far to underpowered for the bodysize/weight
2/l "almost nearly" BUT not a volvo engine

2.4i Petrol -5 pot Volvo engine , not The best mpg figures but its a 5pot

geartronic box > worth it BUT get the atf changed (or do it yourself) IGNORE the "sealed for life" BS , change it/get it changed

Any V50 with a sunroof = Check the sunroof front drains work and are clear (its on here how to And how to sort) , check the passenger footwell for damp due to drains, Check the CEM isnt "moist" (if it is,, say hello to Odd strange and "seriously WTF" electrical gremlins, (fix/cure on here as well 90% of the time NO need to spend ££££ replacing it)

Check 4wheel tracking/alignment

Check condition of exhaust ESP on 2.4i petrols, you have 2 choices
££££ on a Gen volvo
get a custom SS exhaust made for it
No 3rd party aftermarket exhausts for the 2.4
Check DIP headlights IF HALOGEN BULBS , they may appear to be candles in a gale, if so see the LOTS of headlight threads on here, *E46 replacement projectors easy /cheap fit&fix in H7 format

theres a Few buyers type guides on here as well
MOST include the sage advise to not Touch any of the psa family diesel engines (there crap all of them)