PDA

View Full Version : General: - Help and Advice please XC90 purchase

peterg1965
Jan 12th, 2007, 17:51
Hello all, new here so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place.
I am seriously interested in an XC90 and have seen a car that has taken my fancy; a Sep 05(55) XC90 D5 Ocean Race Geartronic (arena leather) with 24,000 miles. It is being prepared by the Volvo dealer so havent yet had a drive and a good look around but spec highlights are:
- Ocean Race spec
- Comms Pack with Volvo on call + phone
- Rear entertainment (DVD with screens in headrests)
- side steps
- Headlamp cleaning
- Winter Pack
- Ar bag cut off switch
- fitted for tow bar (apparently)

The dealer is servicing the car (see question below), four new tyres + usual Volvo approved used benefits. I have the following questions:
- It has 24K on the clock, what is the servicing schedule ie is the next service a major one (if so how much to expect)?
- Is there anything I should be on the look out for in terms of condition?
- Would this car be a 185bhp or 163bhp? Sales literature says 2.4 163bhp, however when I put the reg in for an insurance quote on the internet the car details pop up as a 185bhp car?
- The car is up for £29,500 is this a good price?
- Will the car withstand high miles, I may put 20K of motorway miles on it per year for three years?

Thanks.

tj101c70
Jan 13th, 2007, 20:14
Ok, If its a D5, for 06 model year it will be the 185 version, (big silver cover on top of engine) if it says 2.4D its the 163 version (black engine cover), which is better is open to debate !!! another story !

If a D5, service is every 18K miles, 2.4D every 12k, so realy not due one !! if the 18 was done on time, I would ask for a foc service when due !! They will be fitting the cars 3rd set of tyres !!

Spec good, have option comms pack and RSE (rear DVD's,) so should have privacy glass,, so for £ 30k from a dealer with £750 worth of tyres and service, price is good !!

Keep the service up, and another 60k in 3 years should be no bother, bar tyres 10-12k per set !! = a bit if all motorway

Hello all, new here so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place.
I am seriously interested in an XC90 and have seen a car that has taken my fancy; a Sep 05(55) XC90 D5 Ocean Race Geartronic (arena leather) with 24,000 miles. It is being prepared by the Volvo dealer so havent yet had a drive and a good look around but spec highlights are:
- Ocean Race spec
- Comms Pack with Volvo on call + phone
- Rear entertainment (DVD with screens in headrests)
- side steps
- Headlamp cleaning
- Winter Pack
- Ar bag cut off switch
- fitted for tow bar (apparently)

The dealer is servicing the car (see question below), four new tyres + usual Volvo approved used benefits. I have the following questions:
- It has 24K on the clock, what is the servicing schedule ie is the next service a major one (if so how much to expect)?
- Is there anything I should be on the look out for in terms of condition?
- Would this car be a 185bhp or 163bhp? Sales literature says 2.4 163bhp, however when I put the reg in for an insurance quote on the internet the car details pop up as a 185bhp car?
- The car is up for £29,500 is this a good price?
- Will the car withstand high miles, I may put 20K of motorway miles on it per year for three years?

Thanks.

peterg1965
Jan 13th, 2007, 20:32
Thanks for the reply.
Have been back to dealer this afternoon, it is definately a 163bhp version, I noticed the black engine cover. Dealer is fitting new front discs as well as 24K service, new tyres, new windscreen (the other had a chip which wouldn't meet volvo approved used standards).

I saw a brand new 07 model 'Magic Blue' D5 SE Geartronic in the showroom, with cream leather (Calcite I think), winter pack and tinted glass. It looks fantastic and I am drawn to that rather than the used VOR XC90. No Sat Nav but no way would I pay the £1850 for RTI Navigation, would rather buy an aftermarket satnav unit. Finance figures are incredibly steep through (12.0% APR) even with a £2K finance incentive using Volvo finance. The dealer is a little stingy with his discount on the new one, £37,965 list price and he will only give me £2200 off. Is this about right or does he have a much bigger margin than this? DrivetheDeal.com has a £4,900 discount. I do have a part ex which means I cant go straight to an online broker.

Am on the verge of signing up but want to hold out for a better discount and finance rate. Anyone got any recommendations for a competitive PCP finance house?

Thanks.

CTCNetwork
Jan 14th, 2007, 02:33
Hi,

If you are a member of the VOC you will also get an additional discount from Volvo UK.
Bet the dealer didn't tell you that! And it is IN ADDITION TO any discount you have negotiated with the dealer.

Not bad for £28 I think.. :)

Des. . . ;)

Diggerv70
Jan 14th, 2007, 12:17
Hi, I we have had both, and the difference we have found is significant. I would not have touched another xc90 after 163hp, but my wife persisted, she just loves the car and to be honest the 185hp has given us no problems - apart from tyre wear concerns as already raised by other posters. We actually have the 185 Ocean Race (55 plate) and are very happy though didn't go for the options of the one you have chance of. I would say that like most manufacturers Volvo will put the goodies on as standard (RSE etc) when that particular model is due to be replaced. I would also strongly recommend test driving both engine types before purchase so you can make your own mind up on the advantages - good luck either way, oh I would still badger the dealer on pricing - ring round a few other dealers see what you can get - I was prepared to travel to a diff part of uk to get my deal and saved myself £1700 on what local dealer was prepared to give!

perussell
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:04
Hi, I have a 35K mile 163bhp engined XC90 (and work at a company where we have literally dozens of these things for one reason or another).
I cannot comment on the private deals, mine is a company lease but..
Tyres - my motoring is 80%+ motorway and I got 24,000 miles out of my first set of rubber so I don't necessarily agree with some of the comments re high tyre wear but it is clearly linked to the type of mileage you do.
SatNav - my car has this, I leave it buried in the dash where it belongs
and have invested £300 on a portable unit which while lacking some of the otherwise excellent functionality of the OEM unit provides far better routing options (which is what it's there for) so don't shed any tears.
Wheel bearings - pre-07 models appear to have design defect on the rear wheel bearings where water can get into the works causing premature failure. Mine went at 32K miles, a colleagues at 22K and if they go just hope the vehicle is under warranty - it's about £500 to replace them.

If you haven't sussed where I am getting to yet it is quite simply this - buy the new facelifted model, the original model has far too many bugs which may or may not affect you but will be expensive of they do.

I love the car, my dealer has been outstanding but my faith in Volvo's ability to iron out the bugs before launching a model has been severely dented. Colleagues of mine who had the earliest models '03 etc have had way more trouble than me.

It's a great car but buy the latest one!