PDA

View Full Version : quick headlight question V50

TIGERRYES
Jan 16th, 2020, 22:47
Ok just got a 55 plate V50. The dip beam seems really dull, unlike my 06 S40. I have seen all the suggestions for cleaning the projector lens, I can do that but I was under the impression that they are bi xenon, I was worried about getting my hands anywhere near them for fear they would bite and blast me across the driveway. Any tips please. They seem dull and yellow, where the S40 is white and bright. Cheers

lockstock
Jan 16th, 2020, 23:39
Ok just got a 55 plate V50. The dip beam seems really dull, unlike my 06 S40. I have seen all the suggestions for cleaning the projector lens, I can do that but I was under the impression that they are bi xenon, I was worried about getting my hands anywhere near them for fear they would bite and blast me across the driveway. Any tips please. They seem dull and yellow, where the S40 is white and bright. Cheers

disconnect battery, if you have any concerns. Better safe than sorry. Just handle with care when disconnecting the headlight connectors.

TIGERRYES
Jan 17th, 2020, 00:26
disconnect battery, if you have any concerns. Better safe than sorry. Just handle with care when disconnecting the headlight connectors.

Ok thanks, do they hold a charge if they are xenon? Should I wait after disconnecting the battery?

lockstock
Jan 17th, 2020, 00:46
Ok thanks, do they hold a charge if they are xenon? Should I wait after disconnecting the battery?

I'm pretty sure they will have a ballast that will hold charge so you need to be careful. Not sure how long you would have to wait. You need to disconnect the battery though. Make sure the car ignition is OFF for 30 mins before disconnecting the car battery. Then just look up the procedure for changing the HID bulb. I think you disconnect the ballast, then the headlight and bulb.

Sidonas
Jan 17th, 2020, 06:43
Firstly, it appears to me that you might have bought a car with different lighting technology. The first one you had might have been fitted with xenon and the one you have now is probably halogen. These are notorious for terrible light output. Secondly, you would be hard-pressed to get blasted by a xenon-fitted headlight housing even if you tried.

TIGERRYES
Jan 17th, 2020, 09:45
Firstly, it appears to me that you might have bought a car with different lighting technology. The first one you had might have been fitted with xenon and the one you have now is probably halogen. These are notorious for terrible light output. Secondly, you would be hard-pressed to get blasted by a xenon-fitted headlight housing even if you tried.
Yes you could be right, might be halogen be handy cos I could slap in some brighter ones. I know the housing would be ok but if the lens is needing a clean I'd have to remove the bulb. Think I'll Google the 'how to change a HID without killing yourself' lol. Thanks for your help

TIGERRYES
Jan 17th, 2020, 11:07
yes, halogeon brilliant, any idea what the highest wattage would be safe?

rxtian
Jan 17th, 2020, 11:12
Before worrying about the bulbs, get your lights apart and check the condition of the reflectors - any slight loss of the silvering has a huge effect on light output.

TIGERRYES
Jan 17th, 2020, 11:28
Before worrying about the bulbs, get your lights apart and check the condition of the reflectors - any slight loss of the silvering has a huge effect on light output.

will do thanks

Thekilt
Jan 17th, 2020, 11:44

Definetely, and DO NOT rub too much on the reflectors, just a light wipe. I incidentally rubbed off some of the silver and now its black under there, so even with some decent bulbs in there, oneside is noticably lower in brightness.

I have fitted these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-WhiteVision-effect-Headlight-12972WHVSM/dp/B00MZQUIRW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Philips+WhiteVision+Xenon+effe ct+H7+Headlight+Bulb+12972WHVSM%2C+Twin+Pack&qid=1579261384&sr=8-1

And the beam is pretty good.Note they also come with the side lights which is useful.

AndrasL
Jan 17th, 2020, 12:31
How do you clean the projector lens in the MK2 S40 models? 3 screws hold in the lens and one of them is unaccessable.

Sidonas
Jan 17th, 2020, 13:35
You can access it by either flexing the plastic or optimizing the right-left (horizontal) adjustment screw for easier access of the third torx.