PDA

View Full Version : 2008 S40 Number Plate Lights

dtjones888
Jan 18th, 2020, 18:57
Evening all,

Got pulled last night by police who informed me that both number plate bulbs were defective on the rear of my 2008 S40.

Thinking it would be unlikely to be both bulbs blown I have been looking for the fuse that is linked. Searching the internet and the owners manual have bared no fruit.

Can someone inform me of the location and the number for the fuse that controls the rear number plate lights?

Thanks in advance

pinballdave
Jan 19th, 2020, 06:45
The wiring diagram shows no fuse in the circuit to the number plate lamps, and indicates that they are electronically switched in the CEM.

So I would assume that either the switching circuit in the CEM is designed with built in protection for short circuits and overloads and so doesn't need a fuse, or that being electronically switched, a separate fuse would be pointless as the switching transistor would fail before a fuse would have time to blow.

So I would simply check and change the bulbs. It is quite common for a single failed number plate bulb not to be noticed until both have failed, but it is also possible that only one has failed and is triggering the protection circuit, so removing power from the other bulb.

If that doesn't work, then it's most likely to be a wiring issue in the boot lid harness.