PDA

View Full Version : T5 Spark Plug change DIY - I enjoyed it

Welton
Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:40
Just carried out an Oil Change and Spark Plug replacement on Sunday.

The oil change was the usual wrestling with the undertray and fabricating new fixings with Tie-Wraps and washers but otherwise uneventful. I even torqued-up the sump nut with its new Volvo washer to the correct setting (35NM).

Whilst the oil was draining though I set about the spark plugs; with the front end raised on Axle Stands it made it easier without having to bend down across the engine as much.

I used a Youtube video guide posted by 4DIYers, propping my phone against the windscreen scuttle so I could watch each step and then pause.

I did each plug in turn and followed the advice of first vacuuming the area and in all the nooks and crannies, I even rigged up a small diameter tube to the hoover hose to poke it down the plug wells before removing the plugs.

In reality there were no issues with seized threads or anything at all, all the plugs wound out and in smoothly with no issues - I just took my time and worked carefully. Torqued them up to 30NM.

It was a satisfying job and testament to the build quality of the engine cover, the wiring and coil packs - nothing was a struggle.

Cost-wise for materials (Millers XF oil, Mahle Filter inc sump washer and Volvo spark plugs) was £114.00

domhart10
Feb 3rd, 2020, 08:48
wow nice work, I think I literally just created another post asking about an oil change as im just about to do mine. Is it easy getting the oil filter out of there? and where did you get the washer for the sump nut?

Welton
Feb 3rd, 2020, 09:09
I replied to your other thread but I got the Oil from Opie and the spark plugs and sump washer from FRF Volvo using the Forum discount.

Interestingly the new crush washer was aluminium but the old one was copper.

MDS40
Feb 3rd, 2020, 13:39
Nice post Welton.

When i changed my plugs last year i heard a sickening crunch upon removing number 3.:speechless-smiley-5. Not knowing if it had sheared the thread or what i had no choice but to continue. Once out i found the ceramic outer had shattered but lucky for me the bits stayed inside the plug socket.
They were all very tight to remove so i used copper slip and the correct torque when fitting the new plugs.
It was so much easier years ago before deeply recessed plug entry points became the norm.