PDA

View Full Version : Completely dead c30 HELP!

Sambuca
Feb 20th, 2020, 18:30
2010 facelift c30 2.0D 125k mileage brand new battery original alternator

hello so driving to work (which is in the middle of nowhere) i had the power service major warning cant quite remember it exactly and red triangle appear on my dashand then steering and brakes failed and i managed to pull half over onto the side of the road before it completely died, i then tried jumping it which it nearly started after 10 minutes but no avail, ive charged the battery overnight indoors and tried another battery also and the car is completely dead, no lights when i open the door, key fob wont open or lock car, nothing completely dead im 99.9% sure its the alternator but why wont it even turn over with a fully charged battery? the new battery is reading at 12.71 volts.

Please help ive missed 2 days of work so far and im really out of luck.

lockstock
Feb 20th, 2020, 19:54

hello so driving to work (which is in the middle of nowhere) i had the power service major warning cant quite remember it exactly and red triangle appear on my dashand then steering and brakes failed and i managed to pull half over onto the side of the road before it completely died, i then tried jumping it which it nearly started after 10 minutes but no avail, ive charged the battery overnight indoors and tried another battery also and the car is completely dead, no lights when i open the door, key fob wont open or lock car, nothing completely dead im 99.9% sure its the alternator but why wont it even turn over with a fully charged battery? the new battery is reading at 12.71 volts.

probably done this already, but apparently the CEM connections are notorious for all sorts of strange electrical issues. Do a search on here for the steps to check those connection plugs. Find the guide and do it right, easy DIY, but you have to disconnect battery first and a couple of other things to avoid getting error codes and causing other trouble.

Hopefully it's something simple.

Clan
Feb 20th, 2020, 19:57

It could be an alternator fault , it could have developed a short circuit and blown the main fuse which is part of the red main battery lead to the starter and Alternator , it is non replaceable and not far from the + battery terminal , a few basic tests with a test light or volt meter could diagnose that .

Sambuca
Feb 20th, 2020, 20:26
It could be an alternator fault , it could have developed a short circuit and blown the main fuse which is part of the red main battery lead to the starter and Alternator , it is non replaceable and not far from the + battery terminal , a few basic tests with a test light or volt meter could diagnose that .

if its a non replaceable part what do i do then?
i have bought a new alternator to fit tommorow morning at the roadside, would this fix the issue? because like i say the car litteraly isnt showing any signs of having any power

Clan
Feb 20th, 2020, 21:11
if its a non replaceable part what do i do then?
i have bought a new alternator to fit tommorow morning at the roadside, would this fix the issue? because like i say the car litteraly isnt showing any signs of having any power

The fuse you can't replace but the battery lead you can , you need to do some positive diagnosis work first before you start throwing £100's down the drain .

Sambuca
Feb 21st, 2020, 01:06
The fuse you can't replace but the battery lead you can , you need to do some positive diagnosis work first before you start throwing £100's down the drain .

Thankyou everyone taken all the comments onboard and ill have a good crack tommorow :regular_smile:

domhart10
Feb 21st, 2020, 08:08
when did you change your battery? usually along with the battery the alternator wont be far off from its way out as well.

I would check and see if your alternator is charging.

Sambuca
Feb 21st, 2020, 22:32
managed to almost change alternator at the side of the road today but unfortunatly only had about an hour so will finish it tommorow then my plan is to take the battery thats not holding charge after the incident to halfords under the warranty and then play with some fuses, ill keep you posted

volvo for ever
Feb 21st, 2020, 22:59
if battery was completely flat has ecm lost keys codes ?
yes check fuse on red wire at battery use multimeter see you get battery voltage both sides of fuse

update yor results

Sambuca
Feb 22nd, 2020, 19:35
Final update, managed to finish changing alternator at the roadside and put the old battery on and then jumped the car, whala it worked, drove it to the missus nans and finished putting everything back on it then went to restart it and it was dead ( thought it would because that's why I replaced this battery it doesnt hold anything at all) so I put my 'new'battery on and sure enough it still wouldn't work so halfords replaced it under warranty and now i have a fully working car, thanks to everyone that gave me feedback on this.

To summarise, alternator blew up taking my 4 month old battery with it, changed both now works.

Clan
Feb 22nd, 2020, 19:39
Final update, managed to finish changing alternator at the roadside and put the old battery on and then jumped the car, whala it worked, drove it to the missus nans and finished putting everything back on it then went to restart it and it was dead ( thought it would because that's why I replaced this battery it doesnt hold anything at all) so I put my 'new'battery on and sure enough it still wouldn't work so halfords replaced it under warranty and now i have a fully working car, thanks to everyone that gave me feedback on this.

To summarise, alternator blew up taking my 4 month old battery with it, changed both now works.

How much was your battery for interest ? The volvo one was probably cheaper , they start at about £75