PDA

View Full Version : Door seals

niveketak
Feb 20th, 2020, 20:42
Anyone any experience of replacing the door seals that surround the door in a metal channel and any likely difficulties I am going to come across. I have tentatively tried to pull the seal off but it seems reluctant to move

old fart
Feb 20th, 2020, 22:20
I've done this by finding a bit that will release, and then placing a blunt screwdriver in the channel, under the rubber, and pushing it along the channel, forcing the rubber out.

niveketak
Feb 21st, 2020, 07:17
Thanks for that I take it the same applies to get the new one in.

old fart
Feb 21st, 2020, 10:14
Yes, put one side of the rubber into the groove and carefully push the other side in, as it is very easy to split it. Either use blunt screwdriver or something like a filler spreader.

Derek UK
Feb 21st, 2020, 11:27
A bit of WD-40 can help, not to much. Try not to stretch the length as you fit it, especially around the corners.

csm22
Feb 21st, 2020, 12:05
Strongly recommend using the end of a plastic tool like a door panel removal tool or scraper narrow enough to fit the channel. You want to avoid scratching the paint and inviting corrosion. Same tool will be useful for working the new seal into place without chewing up the rubber.

Silicone grease or spray on the new seal will go a long way in the installation. Pictures of the old seal before removal would be useful.

niveketak
Feb 21st, 2020, 12:49
A bit of WD-40 can help, not to much. Try not to stretch the length as you fit it, especially around the corners.

Thanks Derek

c1800
Feb 21st, 2020, 17:30

Doesn’t WD 40, a petroleum product, degrade rubber?

Derek UK
Feb 22nd, 2020, 12:52
The WD-40 company says zero to negligible I believe. Pure rubber may have issues but not many "rubber" components are pure rubber. For this job I'd say fine. It will evaporate quite quickly anyway. You could use glycerine (local chemist and cheap) but I'd avoid silicone just in case of future paint issues.
If I say use Fairy Liquid or dish soap people will complain it has salt in it so I can't win. Wouldn't stop me using it at a pinch though. Sometimes things get too slippery and that can make the job harder. Warm weather and warm seals always a plus.

niveketak
Feb 22nd, 2020, 13:59
The WD-40 company says zero to negligible I believe. Pure rubber may have issues but not many "rubber" components are pure rubber. For this job I'd say fine. It will evaporate quite quickly anyway. You could use glycerine (local chemist and cheap) but I'd avoid silicone just in case of future paint issues.
If I say use Fairy Liquid or dish soap people will complain it has salt in it so I can't win. Wouldn't stop me using it at a pinch though. Sometimes things get too slippery and that can make the job harder. Warm weather and warm seals always a plus.

Have bought a wooden spatula today which should allow me to push one side into the groove without damaging in, WD40 I would agree should be OK and not as damaging as first thought. If spatula works will take some pics.

Underdrive
Feb 22nd, 2020, 17:47
Tyre soap should do the job nicely. Can be bought on ebay or take a jam jar to your local tyre fitters and ask politely, they have big tubs of it.

niveketak
Feb 25th, 2020, 15:50
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this enquiry. Seals took 1 minute to remove and an hour a side to renew which after starting to put the wrong side on first wasn't bad! For anyone not having done this and have, like me, put it off because it looks a pig to do, take heart its not that bad.

The seal has a small flat flange that locates in a slot in the door frame, sorry no pic as I had finished before I remembered to take photos.

It is important to start at the top corner of the door as this means the seal will arrive at the correct place when done, some cutting of the excess length is required when done.

One edge of the flange is pushed hard into the slot nearest the door frame and the other is pushed into the opposite slot, I used the wooden spatula which managed not to cut the seal anywhere. I used the thicker handle end for most of it but a bit of persuasion is needed where there is a gap in the slot, 2 places, and also on the tighter bends. I did use a wipe of WD40 which eased things a great deal, not on the seal but in the slot.