PDA

View Full Version : ATF & a 2009 Xc90 auto

BustersDad
Feb 26th, 2020, 12:31
Simple question, it is my intention to change the gearbox oil, I’ve had my car nearly 10 years, I think it’s due a change, I’m competent with spanner’s etc, I know which oil I need, done all my homework, do I need synthetic or non-synthetic JWS 3309 oil?

gmonag
Feb 27th, 2020, 16:41
Any oil with that spec will suffice.

jshack
Feb 27th, 2020, 20:05
I’m also interested in this as just bought a 59!plate xc90 with c. 195k. I did a 30mins test drive and box seemed to change very smoothly and kick down etc but down know if / when last changed. I’ve seen the big (20l) containers of Mannol on eBay to the Js3309 spec. Is this recommended ? Also what’s the best approach on something with this mileage. Drop and replace 3-4 litres over a few days/ weeks to gradually replace or alternatively the gibbons method to flush it all out? I feel more confident doing the sump drop method and I read that this is less likely to upset the box’s learned behaviour. Is this adequate or do I need to figure out how to do the gibbons method?

S60D5-185
Feb 27th, 2020, 20:25
This is a reputable long established firm and several on here including myself have used this JWS 3309 oil.

Good value and excellent service and a very wide product range.

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/transport-gear-and-transmission/4476-smith-and-allan-atf-3309-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/

Bashy
Feb 28th, 2020, 02:22
This is one i have been using
(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-MANNOL-ATF-Multivehicle-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-JWS-3309-FORD-Mercon-V/303081772419?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

S60D5-185
Feb 28th, 2020, 10:02
This is one i have been using
(https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-MANNOL-ATF-Multivehicle-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid-JWS-3309-FORD-Mercon-V/303081772419?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

Yes, I've used Mannol JWS 3309 on a previous car and had no issues whatsoever.

I "think" that the Mannol is mineral oil whereas the Smith and Allan is synthetic. I have now started using synthetic only although it may be that there is no real advantage :confused_smile: but for the small extra outlay I'm sticking with it.

In addition, they are on my doorstep so I can collect rather than pay for delivery.

Kev0607
Feb 29th, 2020, 22:12
I rang my local Volvo dealership today, as I'm thinking about changing the transmission fluid on my car soon. They quoted me £18 for a 1L bottle & £62 for 4L! I think I'll go for the Smith & Allan brand, as many have used it & give it good reviews. The 20L drum seems like a good value option.

Goldmember
Mar 1st, 2020, 04:19
Sorry to ask a daft question but is this for 6 Speed transmission as well? I used 3309 on my past 5 Speed Auto V70s but my XC90 V8 is a 6 speed and there’s so little write-ups about them.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

S60D5-185
Mar 1st, 2020, 05:38
Steve, my 2007 XC90 is a D5 with 6 speed box and the correct oil for that is JWS 3309.

I realise that yours is a 2007 V8 but am pretty certain that they share the same box.

It shouldn't be hard to check to see if this is correct.👍

Kev0607
Mar 1st, 2020, 21:21
Check your owner's manual & that should tell you for definite.

The Smith & Allan website linked above states JWS3309 can be used in (Quoted from the website) S60, S70, V70, XC70, C70, S80, XC90, S40, V40 & all 5-speed automatics.

I presume all the models listed have six speed transmissions, hence why '& all 5-speed automatics' is noted at the end? Or maybe its a universal fluid that can be used in 5 & 6 speed transmissions? I'm not sure about that though.

My car has a six speed transmission. Its a 2007 plate & the manual says JWS3309 should be used.

Kev0607
Mar 11th, 2020, 00:04
Sorry to bump this thread, but it'll save posting another based more or less on the same subject.

How many litres of transmission fluid do you need to buy? I've read that some people simply drain what they can out of the transmission (Usually 4l max) using the drain & fill method, then pour the same back in? This to me doesn't seem like you'd be getting the best results, as you're only draining the transmission once & filling it back up. Or, does it purely depend on how dirty the original oil is as to how many times you drain & fill the fluid, therefore having more fluid to hand is required?

20L drums of fluid seem like good value from brands like Smith & Allen, but do you need to buy this much in your experience using the drain & fill method to get the cleanest fluid possible in the transmission?

Goldmember
Mar 11th, 2020, 01:58
The most popular method ( and I believe easiest on the gearbox ) is drain what you can by removing the drain plug , this is usually 3.5l , then refill with the same measured amount of new fluid. Then run the car for 150-200 miles and do the same again.. Repeat a 3rd time . You will see a distinctive difference each time and it’s less of a shock to the box.
As you say 20l drums seem the best value but what I want to know is how the heck do you get it out of the drum? Does it come with a hand pump? In the past I’ve just bought 2 5l jugs and a 1l for easiness.

Steve

Bashy
Mar 11th, 2020, 03:04
The most popular method ( and I believe easiest on the gearbox ) is drain what you can by removing the drain plug , this is usually 3.5l , then refill with the same measured amount of new fluid. Then run the car for 150-200 miles and do the same again.. Repeat a 3rd time . You will see a distinctive difference each time and it’s less of a shock to the box.
As you say 20l drums seem the best value but what I want to know is how the heck do you get it out of the drum? Does it come with a hand pump? In the past I’ve just bought 2 5l jugs and a 1l for easiness.

Steve

Pour it into a wide 2L jug, simples, the 1st few 2L fills tend to trap air in the barrel and it can splash out a little, just dont do it when windy. :rolleyes:

I have done both methods, sump drain and gibbons flush, the latter is done with a pipe added to the cooler return.

Kev0607
Mar 11th, 2020, 12:55

Steve

I’ve watched a video on YouTube where the drain and fill method was used, but all he done was drain the fluid, add slightly more than what was drained, then put the car into each gear for a few seconds it & done that three or four times all in one go, but reset the level on the final drain because technically more was added than what was drained. .

The fluid looked much cleaner than in its original state admittedly, but he used a lot of fluid in one go it seemed. So the best method would be to drain & fill once, drive for a few hundred miles & then repeat the process, as opposed to using a load of transmission fluid in one go?

Goldmember
Mar 11th, 2020, 15:33
So the best method would be to drain & fill once, drive for a few hundred miles & then repeat the process, as opposed to using a load of transmission fluid in one go?

Yes , Ive done this method on past V70s of all ages ( including 1 whose gearbox was flaring badly ) and it seems the best ( albeit more time consuming) way .

Kev0607
Mar 11th, 2020, 19:48
Yes , Ive done this method on past V70s of all ages ( including 1 whose gearbox was flaring badly ) and it seems the best ( albeit more time consuming) way .

Great, thanks. Is it true that the car has to be level to get the fluid level correct in order to reset the transmission counter on Vida? If so, how do you get underneath the car to check the level by unscrewing the smaller drain plug inside the larger hex bolt on the transmission if its not jacked up or on ramps!? It seems like it would be a bit of a squeeze!

S60D5-185
Mar 11th, 2020, 20:19
Great, thanks. Is it true that the car has to be level to get the fluid level correct in order to reset the transmission counter on Vida? If so, how do you get underneath the car to check the level by unscrewing the smaller drain plug inside the larger hex bolt on the transmission if its not jacked up or on ramps!? It seems like it would be a bit of a squeeze!

I can confirm that with the car on level ground I have never had an issue reaching underneath to remove the torx level plug.

Just remember to be careful as this must be done with the engine running.👍

Kev0607
Mar 11th, 2020, 22:33
I can confirm that with the car on level ground I have never had an issue reaching underneath to remove the torx level plug.

Just remember to be careful as this must be done with the engine running.👍

I didn't think of stretching to do it haha, my bad! This is the next job on the cards for me. I'm thinking of replacing 4L or whatever I can drain out of the transmission using the drain & fill method, but adding a little more back into the transmission than drained. Then I can reset the level by draining the excess fluid via the drain plug & reset the counter with VIDA. I'll repeat the process in a few hundred miles again & maybe even do it once more after that.

Volvo want £64 for 4L of fluid, but I can get it cheaper from Smith & Allen (£17.50 for 5L & its the same spec). Therefore, I could get three 5L drums, do three drain & fills over time with a bit of fluid to spare. :regular_smile:

Kev0607
Mar 19th, 2020, 11:52
This video is very informative, but is using all this transmission fluid in one go a bit of a waste using the drain/fill method?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAb9p8Wph-M

Oh before I forget, do you have to reset the adaptions when you change the fluid?