PDA

View Full Version : Rear number plate shape?

Volvo6
Mar 28th, 2020, 19:12
So I finally have my registration for the 1800E I bought in the US last year. DVLA turned around the application in 2-3 weeks, which I thought was pretty good.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the rear number plate should be square or rectangle?

I sort of thought the square looks a bit agricultural, but the gap in the bumper looks a bit small for a normal UK sized single line rectangle plate.

Derek UK
Mar 29th, 2020, 12:38
I agree that the square plates don't look very good but some people like them. DVLA have given you a number but I doubt if you have been lucky enough to get a 6 digit number. Investing in a cheap one of those would enable you to have narrower plates which would fit better. Doesn't have to be a vanity plate. ABC12K is good enough!

Wagon Sailor
Mar 29th, 2020, 14:07
You might be able to squeeze in 7 digits. This one looks a bit awkward, but it's nearly there.
http://www.classicandsportscar.ltd.uk/Volvo-P1800-S/classic-cars-sold/12526

Volvo6
Mar 29th, 2020, 15:10
Thanks both, yep 7 digit reg assigned. Good point about buying a six digit one, I hadn’t thought of that.

I think standard size 7 digit at the back doesn’t quite fit in the space comfortably. Looks a bit cramped.

skysurfer
Mar 31st, 2020, 19:10
I was looking to switching my square plate for a rectangular plate and contacted Tippers Plates in Cornwall. They said that as I had a 7 digit registration, this was not possible but it would be ok for a 6 digit registration. Alternatively, if smaller motorcycle digits were used then 7 digits could probably be accommodated on a rectangular plate, although I'm not sure of the legality of this or whether it would look right.....

Volvo6
Apr 2nd, 2020, 12:03
So my research on the DVLA website suggests the characters must be 79mm high.

Does anyone know what the width of the space of the rear bumper is? I think to look right you'd have to have a plate that sat comfortably within that with a small space either side - UK standard plates just look wedged in.

Looking at number plates from other countries I think a six digit reg or shorter combined with smallest legal characters would like right.