PDA

View Full Version : Carburetor air filters

Derek Russell
Apr 5th, 2020, 23:40
I've currently got a rectangular box air filter fitted to twin SUs which would normally have a duct pipe going through the radiator panel. Unfortunately there isn't a hole in the panel and no pipe either. So I've been looking at the options to change the filter and there are several ways to go - chrome or SS pancakes with washable filters, blue painted pancakes with paper filters which come in different thicknesses, trumpets (also called socks?). Has anyone recently fitted any of these and have they made a difference to performance. Thanks

mocambique-amazone
Apr 6th, 2020, 08:12
Nothing will beat the rectangular box
Punch a hole and add a pipe, done

Good luck, Kay

arcturus
Apr 6th, 2020, 09:03
Pipe through panel sucking in clean cool air,best. On my 144

Burdekin
Apr 6th, 2020, 09:18
Leave as is is fine. Ideally cold, clean, unforced air for SUs is best.

Bracpan
Apr 6th, 2020, 11:50
Hi Derek
I did sent you a message, i agree with the others its by far the best setup for the Amazon... I wish I could find a air-box myself.. will probably end up making / moulding my own.

P1800Ray
Apr 6th, 2020, 13:39
Has anyone got instructions on how to make one of these - I seem to have some time on my hands !

Also, what filter goes in these?

Bracpan
Apr 6th, 2020, 17:33
Best way would be to borrow one and make a mold of it :regular_smile:

Derek Russell
Apr 6th, 2020, 22:58
Hi Derek
I did sent you a message, i agree with the others its by far the best setup for the Amazon... I wish I could find a air-box myself.. will probably end up making / moulding my own.

Many thanks for your message. I did try to respond but the system wouldn't let me because I haven't made sufficient postings. Anyway, many thanks for the link, I checked the invoices which came with the car and found that Amazon Cars fitted the air filter and carb spacers! So will now cut a hole in the radiator cross member and fit the duct pipe, all as the link. Thanks also for your helpful comments on wheels, tyres and suspension heights, all on hold unfortunately during these difficult times. Cheers, Derek

Bracpan
Apr 6th, 2020, 23:06
No problem, take care and hope we all get through this ok, so we can drive our cars again and enjoy them to the full. :regular_smile:

Burdekin
Apr 7th, 2020, 07:06
Hi Derek

Where have you asked; post up on Amazon Facebook threads, ask Amazon cars, Brookhouse, classic Swede, and all the folks selling Amazon stuff on Facebook or eBay, old adverts on here (folk breaking a car etc). That’s what I do when looking for something in particular.

arcturus
Apr 7th, 2020, 09:11
I would fit one to my twin carb B16b PV if possible. Unfortunatly don't have metal working facilities for making base.

Bracpan
Apr 7th, 2020, 10:11
Its possible to make the base out of Glass fibre, to get a PERFECT flat surface lay the resin and matting on some polished glass... put enough layers on to make sure its stiff and you can built up the rest bit by bit....once you get a shape you like take a mold from it... then you can make as many as you want...
its easier if you can get one to copy..as you can make a mold of that
I might try and find a K&N flat element then work it from there. Its on my list of things to do...:regular_smile: