PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - T5 geartronic gearing

pigapumbu
Jan 15th, 2007, 21:40
Hi Guys,

was driving back today on the motorway and set the cruise control to 80mph. Noticed the rpm was at 2200 revs. Surely this was rather low I thought.

Can anyone with a T5 geartronic confirm if this is right?

thanks.

eric

DrDOS
Jan 17th, 2007, 20:05
I have nearly the same numbers on my S40 T5 MY05 roughly 125 Km/h (which is nearly 80 mph).

/Kenneth

pigapumbu
Jan 17th, 2007, 22:47
Thanks a million Kenneth for the confirmation. This tells me the geartronic gear ratios don't really match this car's engine. Allways seem to be off the boil. Needs to be in lower gears to benefit fully.

despite having the car chipped, I am not sensing the real power.

regards
ERIC V

John_C
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:58
Not sure I would agree they are "mismatched", it depends what you want from the car. If the ratios were lower you would be constantly in the boost zone and gulping fuel every time you touch the throttle when you just wanted to cruise, then there's engine noise to consider.

I definately agree if you want to feel power you have to use the low gears, if you want real thump in 5th you would be better off with a chipped D5 than a T5.

Cheers,
J

pigapumbu
Jan 18th, 2007, 17:22
Not sure I would agree they are "mismatched", it depends what you want from the car. If the ratios were lower you would be constantly in the boost zone and gulping fuel every time you touch the throttle when you just wanted to cruise, then there's engine noise to consider.

I definately agree if you want to feel power you have to use the low gears, if you want real thump in 5th you would be better off with a chipped D5 than a T5.

Cheers,
J

I certainly feel the geartronic is mismatched to the car. No harm in a slighly higher ratio. If noise gets louder, just increase the body dampening material. Reason I say this is because right now when I am in 5th and crusing on the motorway at say 60mph. As I want to build speed to about 75mph, i will press the accelerator and nothing much happens but the engine revs increasing, instantaneous mpg reading dives almost instantly to near single digits. But the speed increase is slow and by this time, my foot is almost near the bulkhead or floor of the car.

That said, dropping 2 gears removes this problem. Pick up is better, and before I know it 75 is reached and the mpg doesn't stay low for a long time. Perhaps I am comparing with another car I once that the pleasure of owning. Despite the autobox, pick up was more crisp with less depressed throttle.

Engine just seems hollow at that speed band for my V50 T5 despite more bhp with a chip upgrade. Whats the torque figure on the D5? I should be seeing 380Nm or 400Nm (so i am told). Should this not be almost the same sense of pickup with the D5 on 5th or maybe the D5 has much more torque.

Nice car this despite the autobox.

thanks for the feedback.

eric

John_C
Jan 18th, 2007, 22:57
I can see where you're coming from and it does seem that the car & auto box combination doesn't meet your personal requirements which is fair enough, if a pity!

IMHO the T5 can feel quite "lazy" unless you really gun it so it's not going to feel fast unless you press on which again doesn't suit everyone.

Ref the torque it is less about the peak amount and more about how low down the rev range it comes in and how rapidly it builds. I don't know any figures for the D5 I'm afraid, but what I can tell you is my Mondeo diesel (which is a LOT less powerful than a D5 and about the same weight) would match my S60 T5 in top gear. Lower down the gears it would have no chance against the T5.

Oooh, I've just twigged, you said V50 so it's not an old-school 2.3 T5 engine it's a revised 2.5T. Now I've not driven one of those but I know the S04/V50 T5 has been reviewed as a rapid cruiser rather than a car with sporty responses, also I don't know exactly what you have had done to it but a chip may not have made any difference to your low down grunt as they typically have their biggest effect when the turbo is properly spinning?

On that engine you may want to look at replacing the intercooler if you've not already donw it and if that's at all possible on the V50 as apparently it does miraculous things for the Focus ST which has the same engine.

Cheers,
J

pigapumbu
Jan 18th, 2007, 23:57
On that engine you may want to look at replacing the intercooler if you've not already donw it and if that's at all possible on the V50 as apparently it does miraculous things for the Focus ST which has the same engine.

Cheers,
J

J,

really? hmm.. maybe I need to get on some of those Focus ST forums and check out whats been done. After all the engine is identical. Maybe ford engineers better at tweaking the ECU/throttle/autobox. (not sure if the ST comes in auto as well)

Haven't done much on my car. Just an ECU upgrade. Everything else is stock standard. Two points let me down.
1) I used to drive my cousin's T4s and perhaps I figured the V50 T5 would be close. Sadly its way off the mark. Smoother to drive but not a kick in the arse shove that the T4 could give.

2) The miniscule turbo my car has just won't cut it with the autobox. The 6 speed manual should have been a better combo as i found out to the case with the C30 T5 that I tested last week.

I have driven auto cars in the past and I know the response has been better than this V50 T5. For this t5, I really have to press hard on the pedal to make decent acceleration and thats my point. I just wished with less throttle angle the car felt more responsive.

Don't get me wrong. I am not doing a 'Jade' on this car. I still like it. More like, wanting the cake, icing and all.

regards
ERIC V

DrDOS
Jan 20th, 2007, 19:11
It's important that you get the latest Geartronic update.
I got my upgrade last week and the difference is big. Now when I press the throttle lightly in the 5th gear the transmission gears down immidiately.

Look here http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1159167600000_1160550000000_TNN40-02/40021.html

Regards
/Kenneth

pigapumbu
Jan 20th, 2007, 19:19
It's important that you get the latest Geartronic update.
I got my upgrade last week and the difference is big. Now when I press the throttle lightly in the 5th gear the transmission gears down immidiately.

Look here http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1159167600000_1160550000000_TNN40-02/40021.html

Regards
/Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

thats super information. Thanks. I will call dealer and check if my car has it done or not.

If they update the software would that wipe out my ECU chip programming by MTE along with the torque limiter (1st & 2nd gear) which I requested to be removed?

regards
ERIC V

DrDOS
Jan 20th, 2007, 19:53
Don't know actually but my car feels like a new one after the upgrade especially when upshifting between 2-3 gear.
Maybe your torque limiter will be restored but the quality of the shifting is big with the upgrade....

Why do you request the torque limiter to be removed? Bad performance?

/Kenneth

pigapumbu
Jan 20th, 2007, 22:10
Don't know actually but my car feels like a new one after the upgrade especially when upshifting between 2-3 gear.
Maybe your torque limiter will be restored but the quality of the shifting is big with the upgrade....

Why do you request the torque limiter to be removed? Bad performance?

/Kenneth

Yes i was not happy with the performance so since I was trying out the ECU chip and was offered if I wanted to remove the torque limiter, I when for it. I tested it on and off and there wasnt much difference that i could see. Not like the car was hard to control or killing the autobox. besides I dont abuse my car so i was willing to have it off.

eric

njruddell
Dec 5th, 2007, 20:06
[QUOTE=DrDOS;194723]It's important that you get the latest Geartronic update.

My own T5 auto is in for repair at present and I asked the dealer about the autobox software upgrade which they say they haven't heard off. I don't have an alldata.com subscription but can anyone at least quote me Volvo service bulletin reference number so I can point the dealer in the right direction. To be honest I dont think they have sold many T5 autos and even fewer of those have owners as niggly / neurotic as me!

Thanks

s60ben
Dec 5th, 2007, 20:18
[QUOTE=DrDOS;194723]It's important that you get the latest Geartronic update.

My own T5 auto is in for repair at present and I asked the dealer about the autobox software upgrade which they say they haven't heard off. I don't have an alldata.com subscription but can anyone at least quote me Volvo service bulletin reference number so I can point the dealer in the right direction. To be honest I dont think they have sold many T5 autos and even fewer of those have owners as niggly / neurotic as me!

Thanks

TNN40-02-2006-09-25
(40-02)
Title: Engine, Auto Trans Controls - DEM and TCM Software Updates
Update for General Shift Quality on 2002-2006 Automatic Transmissions.
The TNN defines TCM and DEM software Upgrades that are available to correct the complaints / symptoms listed.

TNN43-27-2004-01-22
(43-27)
Title: AW55-50 Adaptation Procedure.
The AW55-50 gearbox relies on adaptive data to properly adjust its shift pressure. This data is collected and memorized by the TCM and then used to adjust shift feel/quality. If the adaptation is not complete, it may result in:
- Shift Flare: Engine RPM increases during a shift. This symptom often feels like the car has temporarily lost drive or the transmission is slipping. It is usually the 2-3 upshift that flares the most.
- Harsh Down Shifts: Harshness felt during a coast-down shift (zero throttle downshift).
- Harsh Garage Shifts: Harshness when shifting P-D, N-D, P-R, or N-R while at a standstill.
- Harsh Neutral Control Engagement/Disengagement: After coming to a complete stop in Drive, with your foot on the brake the TCM waits 2 seconds and then disengages drive to reduce emissions and minimize idle vibrations. This disengagement is normally smooth and isn’t felt by the driver. If adaptation is not complete then a “thud” can be felt in the car 2 seconds after coming to a complete stop. When the brake pedal is released, the re-engagement of Drive should be relatively smooth. A harsh re-engagement can be felt if the adaptation is not complete. Neutral Control is present on all 2001 MY S60s and V70s. It is also present on nonturbo 2002 S60s and V70s produced before January 2002.