PDA

View Full Version : 1800: - Front Drum to Disc Parts list?

DaWhole9
Apr 26th, 2020, 00:31
Is there a part list needed to upgrade the front drum brakes on a 122 Wagon to disc brakes?

I am just exploring all my options for braking and would rather not spend a few hundred in parts (not including drums if needed) to rebuild the drum system, when maybe a front disc upgrade wouldn't cost that much more. Got me thinking...whats different and what needs to be changed to go to front discs?

c1800
Apr 26th, 2020, 01:26
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5KTSlQ7M0

DaWhole9
Apr 26th, 2020, 04:13
Thanks! Wow. Looks like there are not alot of parts needed for the conversion at all. Will price that out. Doesnt seem all that more expensive than s drum rebuild especially if the drums need replacing.

Derek UK
Apr 26th, 2020, 12:15
Amazon front drums are very expensive. Over twice the price of the one piece discs now available and those are even cheaper than the new type rear drums. As yet they haven't started to make the one piece versions of the front drums. Probably not enough demand. Calipers will bite into your savings but even these are available now non exchange and a bit cheaper. I've not costed out the conversion but you should find the results are worth the extra cost. Depending how you like the new brakes a servo may be considered but that will cost you quite a bit.

mocambique-amazone
Apr 28th, 2020, 08:17
Do it and you will never regret. Maybe a servo like Derek mentioned. I did run my Amazon without. (Okidoki with stock power, later a servo was important)
Good luck, Kay