PDA

View Full Version : Body/Trim: - Tow Bar and Mudflaps

nschofi
Jan 16th, 2007, 20:25
Just acquired used XC90 with fitted towbar and thought I would see what its like towing a caravan. Suitably impressed I have to say compared with its predecessor - LR Discovery.

Question 1. Towbar that is fitted only has single electric point, what is best option to have twin electrics fitted - dealer or indpendent fitter.

Question 2. As it was a wet day, caravan was splattered in crud. Seeming no rear mudflaps. So I looked at what Volvo has to offer via website and the mudflaps they sell hardly look like mudflaps and I doubt if they'll do the job. Does anyone have any experience of how effective the mudflaps are ? Can you recommend alternatives ?

Any views gratefully received.

Thx

CTCNetwork
Jan 16th, 2007, 20:33
Hi,

Not sure about mud flaps so I'll leave that one.. :)
Unless you modify one of those lorry "no-spray" ones to run the whole width of the car..?

There are 2 types of sockets going around these days..
The old 2 socket type where you have one socket for the caravan/trailer rear lights and one for the caaravan electrics and charging etc. White (supplementary?) socket usually... Twin sockets.

The new Euro 13 pin single socket.
This will run both the lights for the van or a trailer AND the electrics for the caravan as the second socket above.

So I would go count the holes/contacts in the socket in your car.
If you have 13 then it is a new euro socket.
Or you could have just the black standard socket for lights only as for a trailer or horse box.

Des. . . ;)

bluesnappa
Jan 18th, 2007, 21:27
If it has the euro single socket you need an adapter cable that plugs in the single car socket and then splits into two for the grey and black caravan cable. See the dealer, they should have one.