PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Wheels/Tyres : - Tyre recommendation

Archer
Jan 17th, 2007, 20:19
I need a new set of tyres for my s40 se sport, i am currently running Pirelli PZero 215/45/18. These have lasted 20K miles. I am now looking to replace these with Pirelli PONero extra load. Has anybody else tried these and how long will they last?

webbie
Jan 17th, 2007, 22:57
I need a new set of tyres for my s40 se sport, i am currently running Pirelli PZero 215/45/18. These have lasted 20K miles. I am now looking to replace these with Pirelli PONero extra load. Has anybody else tried these and how long will they last?

did you swap the front to the rear and wear them all out together or is it just your front tyres that have lasted 20K miles ?

thanks

Webbie

Pick
Jan 21st, 2007, 13:47
I always go for Vredestein tyres, they've won the big tyre test that Auto Express do every year that they've been doing it. If you go on to www.autoexpress.co.uk and look at the product tests, you can read the latest group test for tyres.

Hope this helps.

G

bsrT5
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:40
I also need to change tyre for my S40 T5, is it posible to fit 225/45 or 40, i think the 215 is too small. Would this tyres fit the original 17 inch rims?¡

MarkE
Jan 30th, 2007, 20:41

Just changed the fronts for Neros at Christmas (second new pair of tyres on the front after 14000 miles, does this make me heavy-footed?).

Too early and too few miles to give much of an opinion yet but I'm hoping that their part-worn performance in the wet is better than the Rossos (which is, frankly, shocking). Personally, I'll be happy once they make Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s in the bizarre size that Volvo decided to use.

Archer
Jan 31st, 2007, 19:43
I have just changed all four tyres as they were all worn out the same (20K). I got a really good deal on 4 neros, £400.00 fitted and they came to my work!
Unfortunatley ran over large object on the M25 which took out the rear nearside alloy coudlnt believe it.
Had a price for a new Medusa 18' wheel from Volvo Uk £465.00 plus vat.
Search the net and found a Volvo supplier in the US for $132.00 plus shipping,
much better dont you think? just working out the shipping costs.

Broadsword
Feb 2nd, 2007, 15:39
Just about to change the front tyres on my V50, they lasted 20K.
Had a quote of £150.00 each, fitted, balanced and VAT.

What are Neros and are they any good.

Why ever did Volvo go for such a weird size?
Do you know if there is sufficient clearance to fit 225/40/18, as these would have the same rolling radius and be halve the price??

CTCNetwork
Feb 2nd, 2007, 15:42
Hi,

Maybe try Toyo Proxies T1-R:
Linky (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=R-119116&dsco=10)....
Only £92.60!!

Des. . . ;)

webbie
Feb 3rd, 2007, 21:53
Had a price for a new Medusa 18' wheel from Volvo Uk £465.00 plus vat.
Search the net and found a Volvo supplier in the US for $132.00 plus shipping,
much better dont you think? just working out the shipping costs.

shipping shouldnt be too bad but remember you will be hit for import tax when the postman hands it to you.

easy way to get round this is for the supplier to state the goods are a gift on the green ticket he attaches to the parcel.

even though I got a helmet from the states a few years ago, the supplier put the value on the green ticket for his insurance so the posties asked me for about £50 in tax when he delivered it. In the end it still cost £100 less than travelling 20 miles to my nearest bike shop to buy it and the bike shop was even offering a £100 discount.

Webbie

ps: Volvo price for wheel sound about right, I got one replaced following a wee accident recently but managed to get the old one from the garage (it was just scratched but I insisted it was replaced as the car was new before accident). It's currently in my garage waiting on a cheap tyre to make it into a full size spare.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/alanwebster/Holidays/Manchester%202006/DSC00338.jpg

pigapumbu
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:02
Hi,

Maybe try Toyo Proxies T1-R:
Linky (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/reifenbestellen.pl?typ=R-119116&dsco=10)....
Only £92.60!!

Des. . . ;)

are toyo's any good? What about michelin? Are they good tyres to use?

CTCNetwork
Feb 4th, 2007, 01:45
Hi,

So far the Toyo's I have are Ok.
Ride is quiet.
Grip is Ok.
Wear - unknown. Tell you in 20000 miles.. :)

Des. . . ;)

Archer
Mar 1st, 2007, 20:44
Took delivery today of my new Volvo alloy from the US. After paying the VAT at the local Parcel Force depot the wheel has cost me £150.00 total. Much cheaper than buying in the UK (£465+VAT).
Had to wait four weeks though.
Well happy.:Banane45:

pigapumbu
Mar 1st, 2007, 22:53
Took delivery today of my new Volvo alloy from the US. After paying the VAT at the local Parcel Force depot the wheel has cost me £150.00 total. Much cheaper than buying in the UK (£465+VAT).
Had to wait four weeks though.
Well happy.:Banane45:

Good to hear that. If you don't mind, which company sold you the wheels in the US? I may have to get a set once my 18" are completely knackered. Will do what you have done and save dosh. Thanks

eric

MarkE
Mar 2nd, 2007, 17:24
Good to hear that. If you don't mind, which company sold you the wheels in the US? I may have to get a set once my 18" are completely knackered. Will do what you have done and save dosh. Thanks

eric

I'm guessing maybe Boston Volvo? They had an amazing deal on a couple of months back - something like $140 each for the 18" Medusa alloys, with a $200 cashback offer from Volvo on a set of 4. Even with carriage and then the tax added at this end I still reckon I could have bought as set of 4 for less than the price of one new 18" Medea from a UK dealer.

pigapumbu
Mar 2nd, 2007, 17:37
I'm guessing maybe Boston Volvo? They had an amazing deal on a couple of months back - something like $140 each for the 18" Medusa alloys, with a $200 cashback offer from Volvo on a set of 4. Even with carriage and then the tax added at this end I still reckon I could have bought as set of 4 for less than the price of one new 18" Medea from a UK dealer.

Hi Mark,

I thought it mght have been from VIVA. Link Here (http://www.vivaperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=167)

They are selling the medusa at $145. I ask cause I am always worried to buy from the states. Heard lots of horror stories of products never arriving, can't return etc. So as long as a member has done it, then I mark that seller as a 'good' one for future purchases.

Have you any dealings with Boston Volvo? Any good?

cheers

eric

Archer
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:22
The company i brought them from are www.volvopartspeople.com. The wheel cost $132.00. The company couldnt have been any more helpful and friendly. Have a look at their website, they do spares for the Volvo range. If you can wait the 4 weeks its well worth it.
The wheel came very well packaged in its original Volvo box but at a fraction of the price.

Hope this is of some help!

pigapumbu
Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:26
The company i brought them from are www.volvopartspeople.com. The wheel cost $132.00. The company couldnt have been any more helpful and friendly. Have a look at their website, they do spares for the Volvo range. If you can wait the 4 weeks its well worth it.
The wheel came very well packaged in its original Volvo box but at a fraction of the price.

Hope this is of some help!

Thanks archer. Will put them down as a prefered supplier for the future.

eric