PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Electrics : - Headlight (low beam) bulb failure?

SteveS40
Jan 20th, 2007, 13:57
Hi guy's, first post here, after some advice/opinions please.

I have a 2004 S40, new to me in March 2006.

Since that time I have replaced headlight bulbs FOUR times.

The dealer say's "ah, you did not use Volvo bulb's, that why they fail..."

Is this a wind up? Since when did Volvo diversify into the bulb making industry or do they actually have a manufacturer that makes to their specification?

I've actually just purchased a bulb set (with one missing it seems) from the dealer, just to see. (they were probably rolling round the floor laughing screaming "another mug..." as I walked out the door!

Any thought's or experiences please?

Paul Clifton
Jan 20th, 2007, 18:32
Volvo bulbs are made by Osram and are 'long life' bulbs made to Volvo spec due to being drl's.

Paul.

SteveS40
Jan 21st, 2007, 11:33
Many thanks Paul.

I've been replacing with philips & Bosch but i had a pm recommending Osram Silverstar, so it's off to the Osram shop.

Thank's guy's!

RYLANDR
Jan 23rd, 2008, 20:39
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/40-headlamp-bulb-life.shtml

neilsurfin
Jan 23rd, 2008, 20:43
Is that really a solution by Volvo? surely adding any resistance in the supply would not only extend the bulb life but also reduce the current flowing through the bulb and hence, the brightness. that just doesn't seem a good solution to me.

Clan
Jan 23rd, 2008, 21:01
The method adopted on 2005 cars is to regulate the voltage to the headlamp and tail bulbs so a similar solution . Thats why tail lights last a lot longer than they used to ...

Multiplex
Jan 26th, 2008, 20:19
The above service solution was only applicable to the "classic" S/V40s.

Are the connections onto the bulb itself tight/secure. If they have been on and off a few times thae may be loose resulting in a poor contact/poor bulb life.

I personally would get the dealer to fit you two new H7s and get them to check and tighten the connections at the same time. If you then have any further issues with bulb life you can then take it back to the dealer.

iainmd
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:42
I used to have the Volvo supplied Long Life H7's. I ran the car for nearly 2 years with not a single bulb failure.

Now I use Xenon replacements which tend to blow in pairs (one just after the other has been replaced) every 3-6 months. I put up with the short bulb life because:

a) They're much cheaper than Volvo supplied bulbs
b) The Xenon's are so much brighter it's unbelievable
c) The pure(r) white light emitted by the Xenon's is infinitely preferable to the yellowy hue of the Halogens.

Just my tuppence worth and I'd re-iterate the post above that the Volvo supplied LL bulbs do last longer than others.

Cheers,

Iain

welshboy
Sep 3rd, 2012, 20:20
I have had the same problem with my V50 and I have now replaced them with Halford Heavy Duty lamps. They have lasted longer than any other I have used. Give it try and they are the same price as standard ones.

loray94510
Sep 3rd, 2012, 21:17
I have a 2000 V40 (got it a lil over 18 hrs ago) and had to replace the low beam bulbs already. In my experience with halogen bulbs to ensure a long use it is very important not to touch them with ones bare hands and in doing so have had long living bulbs.

I've used halogen bulbs for photography enlargers, marine applications, home lighting decor as well as other headlamps for autos (Ford, Nissan, Buick and Chevy)

Since this is my first time replacing them on a Volvo I can only hope to have the same results as I've had in the past. I bought Sylvania Silverstar Twin 2 pack this time and will post again if anything out of the ordinary occurs. Hope my "two cents" helps in some lil way.