PDA

View Full Version : T8

Oxon
Feb 21st, 2021, 21:05
Hi everyone

I am looking at a 2019 v90 t8 which I think I am going to go for.

I am struggling to find information on the car when the battery is depleted.

For example the 0 to 60 time.

I would also like to know how long the battery lasts in normal driving conditions and a motorway drive.

I'm sure this is out there somewhere, I am just searching for the wrong terms.

Thanks

c1800
Feb 22nd, 2021, 05:21
I am struggling to find information on the car when the battery is depleted.

For example the 0 to 60 time.

I would also like to know how long the battery lasts in normal driving conditions and a motorway drive.

Thanks

Not clear what you’re searching for.

“ information on the car when the battery is depleted...for example the 0-60 time” .....are those 2 things are related?

How long a battery lasts? Typically between 3 and 10 years.

Oxon
Feb 22nd, 2021, 06:27
Sorry I've not been very clear.

The t8 has a 0 to 60 time of approx 5 seconds. Once the battery is depleted does this increase because the electric motor isn't working?

In normal driving conditions how many miles until the battery is depleted. If I have a long trip will the car cruise in hybrid mode the whole way or does the battery run out of charge after an amount of miles. So that after say 200miles the battery is flat therfore the mpg is worse?

c1800
Feb 22nd, 2021, 09:27
0-60. 400hp which is 313 from the gasoline engine and 87 from the electric motor. So yes if the batteries are dead, you’ll only have 313 hp. 0-60 will go from 4.8 sec to 6 sec.
apparently only a 17 mile range on electric only. How long the battery lasts in hybrid mode depends on a number of factors.

Here’s one article that discusses the real world mpg experience. I’m sure you can find more with google.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/reviews/2019-volvo-s90-t8-eawd-plug-in-hybrid-inscription-review/

RaymondG
Feb 26th, 2021, 18:39
There is no effect on the 0 - 60 time whatsoever regarding battery charge levels. The T8 will always have enough juice to give you all 400 BHP at all times, provided you select power mode, of course. It's a fable that charge level decreases available HP.
The car reserves about 25% of it's total capacity for this - you won't be able to access this yourself for pure EV driving. The ICE will recharge you battery if charge drops too low.

Cull06
Feb 26th, 2021, 19:54
There is no effect on the 0 - 60 time whatsoever regarding battery charge levels. The T8 will always have enough juice to give you all 400 BHP at all times, provided you select power mode, of course. It's a fable that charge level decreases available HP.
The car reserves about 25% of it's total capacity for this - you won't be able to access this yourself for pure EV driving. The ICE will recharge you battery if charge drops too low.

Interesting. Source?

andy_d
Feb 26th, 2021, 20:31
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314168
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=314216
Read those before considering buying

21miles max range on battery = Not worth the hooharr of a hybrid

Cull06
Feb 27th, 2021, 11:01

I think if you’re focusing on electric-only range. You’re missing the point of this car and should instead be looking at all electric.

I can do a 200 mile journey with an mpg in the mid 40s. Mid-late 30s for the return journey if not charged. Considering that’s a petrol suv that’s pretty good I would say.

And that’s not just leaving it in cruise control at 70 either.

XC90Mk1
Feb 27th, 2021, 11:56

Hey Andy, good to see you doing some modern research.

Let’s not overlook the fact that the Petrol engine will achieve very high efficiency at cruise speeds and the role of the T8 isn’t to go 18 miles, go flat then run on petrol. The role is to go electric at stop and start/traffic then go petrol for constant cruises. People doing 100 mile runs are getting over 40mpg.

Also I want a T8 as it allows 0-62 times of 5 seconds which is really important to me.

Whippy
Feb 27th, 2021, 12:09
I think if you’re focusing on electric-only range. You’re missing the point of this car and should instead be looking at all electric.

I can do a 200 mile journey with an mpg in the mid 40s. Mid-late 30s for the return journey if not charged. Considering that’s a petrol suv that’s pretty good I would say.

That's not bad, I just wonder what the mpg would be in one of these if you stripped out the heavy batteries, motors, wiring etc and put a slightly more efficient powerplant in 🤔

XC90Mk1
Feb 27th, 2021, 20:29
That's not bad, I just wonder what the mpg would be in one of these if you stripped out the heavy batteries, motors, wiring etc and put a slightly more efficient powerplant in 🤔

Who knows. But the 0-69 wouldn’t be 5 seconds.

XC90Mk1
Feb 27th, 2021, 21:20

I would say that’s astonishingly good! I have the D5 XC90 so clearly it’s not going to be in quite the same league as the modern stuff but I get 34MPG on a good run and that is not breaking limits etc.

To hear you get that milalge and that you have that performance is amazing.

I would love a T8 the only issue is that I have always bought at 4 years of age for cash and with the T8 I do wonder if it’s actually worth running one outside of warrenty.

We seem, or it feels as though we still live in the times where if an injector goes in the ICE we replace the engine but that the battery packs and rear motor are junked at the first sign of an issue.

Not sure if that’s a valid assessment or not?

Cull06
Feb 28th, 2021, 10:43
I would say that’s astonishingly good! I have the D5 XC90 so clearly it’s not going to be in quite the same league as the modern stuff but I get 34MPG on a good run and that is not breaking limits etc.

To hear you get that milalge and that you have that performance is amazing.

I would love a T8 the only issue is that I have always bought at 4 years of age for cash and with the T8 I do wonder if it’s actually worth running one outside of warrenty.

We seem, or it feels as though we still live in the times where if an injector goes in the ICE we replace the engine but that the battery packs and rear motor are junked at the first sign of an issue.

Not sure if that’s a valid assessment or not?

It does make me question whether I will keep the car outside of the warranty. As I was originally planning to do.

Caveat on my mpg is that mine is an xc60 which is a bit smaller than your xc90s

Whippy
Feb 28th, 2021, 11:10
Who knows. But the 0-69 wouldn’t be 5 seconds.

Not saving the planet though, is it.

SmartMAC
Feb 28th, 2021, 14:02

Not 40mpg. My V60 T6 (no PHV) with 315bhp (I think) and AWD can only get 34-36 on a long run. In town on a short journey is more like 25mpg.