PDA

View Full Version : Dash cams hard fitting

Malcolm Rouchy
Apr 2nd, 2021, 13:05
I'm having front and rear dash cams hard fitted by Halfords in Chesterfield, does anyone know or are aware of such fitting voiding the warranty?

Any information would be appreciated.

Zebster
Apr 2nd, 2021, 17:10
I'm having front and rear dash cams hard fitted by Halfords in Chesterfield, does anyone know or are aware of such fitting voiding the warranty?

Any information would be appreciated.
Sorry, I don't know. But what I wanted to suggest was to get them to confirm that where they install the wiring definitely won't interfere with any airbag deployment.

Whippy
Apr 2nd, 2021, 19:51
Also be aware that many rear facing dashcams can cause radio reception problems down to poor or insufficient shielding.

Laird Scooby
Apr 2nd, 2021, 23:52
Take many photos of your car interior before you take it in. That way if they damage the trim or anything else, you have some proof but they're not difficult to install yourself so i'd suggest avoiding Halfords and doing that. :thumbs_up:

Malcolm Rouchy
Apr 3rd, 2021, 07:47
Take many photos of your car interior before you take it in. That way if they damage the trim or anything else, you have some proof but they're not difficult to install yourself so i'd suggest avoiding Halfords and doing that. :thumbs_up:

Good idea regarding taking photos of the interior. I have fitted dash cams previously but I didn't hard wire them, I plugged them into two 12 volt sockets one in the font of the car and one at the rear. I don't really want to start stripping away bits of the inside of the car, but I will watch Halfords fitters like a hawk to ensure that no damage is done

Whippy
Apr 3rd, 2021, 09:25
One last thing (you probably know this) if you intend taking the car to hot climes it's best to go for a cam that uses capacitor rather than battery as it's inbuilt power source.

js90
Apr 3rd, 2021, 19:07
As far as warranty goes, make sure that halfords adhere to Volvo's recommendation on placement if your car has the intellisafe box behind the rear view mirror.

Two important parts to note - Volvo recommends the camera is 15cm away from the box, but also make sure the lens is covered by the windscreen wipers, otherwise your camera will be useless in the rain.

Laird Scooby
Apr 3rd, 2021, 19:17
As far as warranty goes, make sure that halfords adhere to Volvo's recommendation on placement if your car has the intellisafe box behind the rear view mirror.

Two important parts to note - Volvo recommends the camera is 15cm away from the box, but also make sure the lens is covered by the windscreen wipers, otherwise your camera will be useless in the rain.

Just to clarify - do you mean the lens is covered by the swept area of the wipers? :thinking:

js90
Apr 3rd, 2021, 21:05
Just to clarify - do you mean the lens is covered by the swept area of the wipers? :thinking:

Yes, should have made that clearer - the lens should be 'within the swept area' of the windscreen ;-)

Edit - To complicate matters further, if you want to get it past an MOT, then no more than 4cm inside the swept area of the screen.