PDA

View Full Version : V90 Starting

keithbenning
Jun 13th, 2021, 22:28
In March of this year I exchanged my Volvo V60 for a 2017 V90 D4 Auto with 30,000 on the clock. I am very pleased with the car - the development of the digital technology especially. But once or twice I week, particularly first thing in the morning, as I press the brake pedal before turning “start” the pedal is rigid rather than spongy and it doesn’t start. This corrects itself in a minute or so. The Volvo dealership has reassured me twice that this is “perfectly normal” but it still seems odd to me. Any thoughts please?

js90
Jun 13th, 2021, 22:46
Pretty sure they are vacuum assist brakes, so if there isn't a vacuum, you'll just have to push harder some times. Try doing this - turn off the engine and press down on the brake pedal - it'll be soft and spongy like normal. Now take your foot off the brake and push it down again. repeat a few times and you'll notice that as you keep pressing the pedal, the travel is shorter each time until you completely run out of vacuum and the pedal is hard.

This happens to me quite often now as I don't have a daily commute, so the vacuum leaks out over the course of a week or so. Nothing to worry about. You'll also notice once the engine's started up for a few seconds and the pump has pulled a vacuum, the brake pedal is nice and soft again, as normal.

keithbenning
Jun 13th, 2021, 23:08
Many thanks Js. Puts my mind at rest.

big square car
Jun 14th, 2021, 09:18
Mine does that occasionally too (2018 V90 D4 R Design)