PDA

View Full Version : General: - Koni FSDs

MarkE
Feb 9th, 2007, 21:44
Had the FSDs fitted this week.

BEFORE

In fairness, the standard car handles pretty well. I had the Volvo lowering springs fitted last year which make everything firmer but on bumpy roads things can get a bit bouncy as the standard shocks don't seem to be able to keep up with the road surface. Pitch it into a corner and everything kind of sags sideways as you feel the tyres making a fuss with all of the weight moving around. The resulting understeer feels far less severe than it actually is but the car just doesn't feel like it wants to be driven hard; bogging down or spinning its inside wheel out of corners as the weight shifts.

AFTER

Initial reaction: Umm, did they actually change anything?

But this is the idea of the Konis. In normal driving they behave pretty much as standard; the ride's about as good as you could expect with 18" rims so the car doesn't shake the fillings out of your teeth at the slightest hint of a bump in the tarmac.

But as soon as you put the car into a bend and load up the suspension, clever hydraulic stuff happens. Everything stays flat around the corner and you come out of the other side without any fuss at all.

Because you don't load up the outside tyres, you get grip all round and traction when you require it.

Because the car doesn't dive under braking like it used to, it doesn't unload at the rear. As a result, you have more confidence when you misjudge a stretch of country road and have to brake on the way into a corner.

They're not cheap but they do exactly what it says on the tin: You get OEM compliance when you're taking it easy but coilover-type response when you push it harder.

Next month: Remap...

36016v
Feb 9th, 2007, 22:14
i know what you mean about throw it into a corner and it goes soggy, seems that for a t5 anyway volvo still havn't sorted it out, way to much sag and too much front dive under braking.

What did the konis cost you if you dont mind me asking?

MarkE
Feb 9th, 2007, 22:34
i know what you mean about throw it into a corner and it goes soggy, seems that for a t5 anyway volvo still havn't sorted it out, way to much sag and too much front dive under braking.

What did the konis cost you if you dont mind me asking?

They were £550 fitted which is pretty pricey when you consider that the springs were >£200 (fitted) from Volvo. I bought the Konis from a small local motorsport shop which has an excellent reputation and got them fitted there as well, so I was happy enough to pay over-the-odds for the superb service.

Apparently, the springs are Eibach so if you bought an Eibach Pro kit and the FSDs online, then found a decent local garage to do the work, then you could probably do everything sub-£500.

On a T5 I'd imagine that they'd make even more of a difference: you can get the into and out of corners so much easier without feeling that you're upsetting it at all.

Coming from a SEAT Leon Cupra R, I knew that the Volvo would feel soggy by comparison but the springs and the Konis more than restore the balance. Now, if only I had 270-odd horsepower...

Marmoset
Feb 10th, 2007, 11:31
Sounds inetersting Mark. How's this affected insurance - last time I looked into better springs/dampers on the last car the insurer (at the time) said they wouldn't even consider covering it.

Rich

MarkE
Feb 10th, 2007, 11:42
Sounds inetersting Mark. How's this affected insurance - last time I looked into better springs/dampers on the last car the insurer (at the time) said they wouldn't even consider covering it.

Rich

An additional £24 to the end of this policy year at the start of April (so about £145 for a year), which seems to be just to cover the replacement cost of the parts - as the car isn't any lower there was no increase for that.

Should have told them I found them in a skip...

TheodGR
Apr 17th, 2007, 10:09
Wanted to ask you something dear Mark.

Were there any issues when installing the KONIs (any mismatch?), or just fit-and-go?
I own a 1.8L S40 (MY2006) and your post was the final hit on me. After having read many comments (mostly good) I ordered the FSD set for my car 3days ago.
Hope I am pleased when they are finally installed.

MarkE
Apr 17th, 2007, 19:45
When I picked the car up from the place that installed them I asked if they'd had any problems but they said the FSDs went straight on, no fuss.