PDA

View Full Version : V50 Electrics : - Why are dipped headlights aboslutely useless?

Ripstop
Feb 14th, 2007, 13:52
Being a Volvo noob and being my first post...treat me gently :)

After having the V50...which is a very nice car...for more than a year now, I can safely say that the dipped lights on this car are atrocious. You really can't see either very far or very much in damp or wet conditions. In the dry they aren't much better either. All of the things that projector type lights are supposed to do like focussing more light in the correct pattern are not happening.

So this leads me to several questions. Is there a fault? Well I swapped the bulbs out for some other H7's and they weren't any better. Is there supposed to be a difference in output whether they are on the day setting or night setting?

If the answers confirm no fault then I just cannot fathom why the light 'power' if you like is so low. I see many other types of cars also with the standard 55w bulbs producing far better outputs. Now that aftermarket HID's are illegal what am I to do? Personally I will still be fitting HID's as I already have another car with them on and they are just superb. Does this make me a bad person? or just a law breaker. Lets see.

Rip.

mjm295
Feb 14th, 2007, 13:55
Hi RIP

welcome to the site

Most S60/V70 owners complain about the lights. There are some good threads in that bit of the forum. I have fitted +50% osrams with good results, but will be upgrading to HIDs once cash flow allows.

nozmeister
Feb 14th, 2007, 15:42
I have to admit that I don't find the lights that bad but I'm not sure if the car has improved H7 bulbs such as Silverstars rather than run-of-the-mill £3 bulbs.

My previous car was a golf and that WAS dangerous and even with Silverstars they weren't as good as the V50...

Marmoset
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:58
I had to adjust mine within days of getting it and may have to do so again now as the front springs are obviously still settling, and more than the rears at that.

Are you finding that they are cutting of too near to the car? If you look under the bonnet you will see a white plastic hex bolts to the outer side of the headlamp units - I think it takes a 6mm socket and I think (it's been 2 years since I did this) that if you turn them counterclockwise the headlight aim is raised.

Other than that I still think the lights are okay - full beam is phenomenal which does leave the dips looking weedy by comaprison.

Rich

pigapumbu
Feb 15th, 2007, 12:21
I had to adjust mine within days of getting it and may have to do so again now as the front springs are obviously still settling, and more than the rears at that.

Are you finding that they are cutting of too near to the car? If you look under the bonnet you will see a white plastic hex bolts to the outer side of the headlamp units - I think it takes a 6mm socket and I think (it's been 2 years since I did this) that if you turn them counterclockwise the headlight aim is raised.

Other than that I still think the lights are okay - full beam is phenomenal which does leave the dips looking weedy by comaprison.

Rich

Yes, you are right. I took my car to the dealer and told them the lights were crap and i wanted it raised. The mechanic checked and he found the right side to be low. Brought a 6mm socket, showed me the white plastic bit and he turned it a couple of times. Told me later if I was not happy with the height, I could do it on my own.

But I tried the car that night and now the lights are 'great'. previously I wanted to throw it in the skip and put in HID but after reading how that would cause more problems, I scrapped it. In the end, the simplest solution of raising the light beams worked wonders. I can safely say the improvement has been about 100% (don't ask me how I calculated this ok), and zero cost.

Light is fine in dry, wet, rainy and foggy conditions. Basically I get enough illumination up front to drive in comfort.

I think someone should post some pics of where to adjust and then post it as a sticky for this s40/v50 forum. It will help lots of people.

PS: the lights can be adjusted both vertically and horizontally. Just need to know how.

Ripstop
Feb 16th, 2007, 08:41
I might just do that..I initially looked at the lights and thought there would be some manual adjustment but wasn't sure where. I will get my camera out this weekend. I do feel they are aimed a bit low even at zero levelling. I do agree that full beam is very good, shame about the dipped beams.

Personally I still might go to HID.....legallity issues aside.

Rip.

pigapumbu
Feb 16th, 2007, 11:44
I might just do that..I initially looked at the lights and thought there would be some manual adjustment but wasn't sure where. I will get my camera out this weekend. I do feel they are aimed a bit low even at zero levelling. I do agree that full beam is very good, shame about the dipped beams.

Personally I still might go to HID.....legallity issues aside.

Rip.

Try adjusting the lights first to get a good coverage. maybe then throw in some replacement xenon like bulbs. I am sure you will find the brightness up to scratch. Saves much more money and hassle then going down the xenon HID kit route.

cheers

Pcalder
Mar 6th, 2007, 13:55
2006 V50.
Did you take any pictures of the headlamp adjustment ?
I am having the same problem with my dipped beam.
I've had a fiddle under the bonnet but nothing seemed to change as I adjusted them.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Cheers.

the hoff
Mar 6th, 2007, 14:29
try glasses lol please dont blind me with badley fitted aftermarket hids (see one of the other threads for the for and against) plus 30 pound fine if police pull you:speechless-smiley-6

Pcalder
Mar 6th, 2007, 14:40
2006 V50.
Did you take any pictures of the headlamp adjustment ?
I am having the same problem with my dipped beam.
I've had a fiddle under the bonnet but nothing seemed to change as I adjusted them.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Cheers.

OK.
Had another look this afternoon.
I have found the correct white twiddly thingamabob...:Banane44:

I have been playing with the adjuster on the side but above the correct one..
( If you follow me... )
Dug deeper with my socket set and manager to raise the levels of both headlights.
:Banane32: :Banane32: :Banane32:

I'll try them out tonight..

My local Volvo dealer told me they not adjustable...:baring_teeth: