PDA

View Full Version : General: - retrofit passenger airbag cutoff (PACOS)

rob_
Feb 16th, 2007, 21:09
We are thinking about upgrading to an XC90. We'd like to buy used as we've not had a 4x4 before but keep getting conflicting information about passenger airbags and the cut-off switch (PACOS). Most people seem to agree that that prior to the 05 model there was no way to disable the passenger airbag or retrofit a cutoff switch. In the 05 and later models the PACOS was an original option but it is either physically impossible, probably illegal, and a definite MOT fail to fit a cut-off or a 30 minute job with a 10 pound part.

We need the passenger airbag disabled so we can continue to use a rear-facing child seat so we're not going to do anything that would be detrimental to safety.

Has anybody had a PACOS retrofitted?

rob

bircham
Feb 17th, 2007, 09:26
Hi Rob,

I would doubt that you could get the PACOS retrofitted.

We had the option fitted to our XC90 (it costs £25.00) as a factory option.

I don't know when the PACOS became an option but I would have thought that it was always available. Certainly a lot of the used vehicles I see have it fitted but I cant remember what ages they were.

Would it be a deal breaker?

I would say that I hardly ever use the front seat with my new baby son (7 months old now) and I would say that the XC90 has been so useful for size/height etc that even if it didn't have the PACOS then it wouldn't bother me at all. I had an Audi A6 avant before and the difference in practicality is enormous. Consider also that the XC90 has as good as, if not better fuel consumption than large MPVs and it really annoys me seeing all the :angry2: in the press regarding 'chelsea tractors' etc.

Anyway, I doubt much of this is help but certainly consider the XC90 even without the PACOS,

Good luck looking,

Jon

rob_
Feb 17th, 2007, 17:00
PACOS is just a complication. Our requirement is to have a rear-facing seat where an adult can see/reach the baby. We also want to be able to use our lie-flat carry cot for long/overnight runs. Could we live without a cut off? Almost. Wife, kids, car seats could use my old car during the week while I rattle around in a 7 seater and we could decamp at weekends ;-).

It is possible to find a car with PACOS but it reduces the number of used cars within 100 miles of us from ~80 to 3.

What does the PACOS look like? A switch I could see being retrofitted. If there is extra instrumentation lights then I'd doubt it.

bircham
Feb 17th, 2007, 19:09
The PACOS switch is on the area where the passenger door hinges are. It can only be got at when the door id open. You insert the key and move it to whichever setting you want - on or off.

When it is switched off there is a lit notice on the rear view mirror that stays on all the time to remind you that it is off.
There is no light on the dashboard at all.

Jon

cosworthy2000
Feb 18th, 2007, 07:43
Worth noting that not all ad's state the vehicle has it fitted. I only discovered it by accident last week on mine.
Not sure about the reasoning behind having a baby in the front? My 2 (2yrs & 5months) have always been in the back of my V70, now always in the back (or even 2nd row when ferrying 6/7 people) of my XC90. I like to be concentrating on driving when I am driving, not trying to settle crying kids at the same time.