PDA

View Full Version : General: - s40 odour - caused by snow?

paul g
Feb 25th, 2007, 07:33
Please advise,
My wifes 05 s40 2.0d S has adpted an unusual and she claims unpleasant smell in the cabin (it is like damp fish/flesh).
Serviced in December and no probs, the day we had about 3" snow here she went to work and the next day the smell started. It was valeted and the smell stayed. I put my head/nose in as many places as I could . The smell is also in the boot - but not the spare wheel thats just rubber smell. Off to Volvo who had it up on the ramp and the bloke said - 'try using a jet hose to clear out the voids in the rear bumper there is silt in there and it smells at the back of the car'. Tried that with my hozelock non-jetwash hose. Still there, brought a self fix it in cabin air con spray - smelles like lemons - smell still there. I am hoping it will just go - but she now wants to sell it.
Any advice gratefully received:hissyfit:

Marmoset
Feb 25th, 2007, 12:25
I suspect it becuase the cabin air filter is damp. Mine smelt like this when it snowed - blast some hot air throughit for a significant time to dry it out and it should return to normal.

Rich

kunfuzion
Mar 9th, 2007, 22:27
does anyone know the location of the Cabin filter on the 40series? thanks.

4 forty
Mar 10th, 2007, 14:34
remove the trim under the glovebox, you will see a clip on the bottom of the vertical filter housing, pull the clip downwards, and pull the filter out.

paul

GMcL
Mar 12th, 2007, 21:05
To get rid of strong odours in the car like cigarettes, spilt milk with babies etc... pour some vinegar into an old (clean) jam jar put the heater on full heat, max fan and recirculate for about five minutes with all the windows shut.
Leave the jar of vinegar in the drivers footwell overnight.
Leave something on the drivers seat or a big post it on the window to remind you so you don't kick it over in the morning.

Gets rid of most smells....it won't smell like a new car but it won't stink either.

Osamede
Jul 23rd, 2007, 15:51
Really helpful stuff here - thanks!

Paul Clifton
Jul 23rd, 2007, 22:28
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40026

See this thread, pollen filter location NOT the same as classic s/v40.

Paul.