PDA

View Full Version : V50 Engine 2.0D : - Rica Mapped

MarkE
Feb 25th, 2007, 16:17
Had the car remapped this week by ADS Global (http://www.ads-global.co.uk/rica/html/home.htm) in Preston. Left the car with them at 8am and Dave from ADS called at lunchtime to say it was ready. Imagine if you can just how much the afternoon dragged until it was time to go and pick up the car...

First Impressions

Preston traffic in rush-hour is not exactly the ideal location for an extensive road test but it was immediately clear that the car wanted to go, particularly in 2nd gear. A short country-road journey followed by the trip back up the M6 confirmed that the car, as you would expect, has significantly more shove in every gear without spiky power delivery or any nasty flat spots. The (obvious for a diesel) lack of any VTEC-stylee noises makes the power delivery very deceptive - just when you think that nothing special's happening, you glance down at your speedometer and get a shock at the way it's piling on speed without any drama.

Further Thoughts

A run through the Trough of Bowland yesterday afternoon and a 190 mile jaunt across the M62 to Wakefield this morning did nothing to wipe the stupid grin off my face. On the twisting roads and blind crests at the back of Lancaster, the car never feels off-boost so you don't have to stir the 'box constantly to keep things moving along at a decent pace.

Incidentally, the Koni FSDs were simply amazing along this route, flattering the bumpy tarmac but keeping everything flat and composed around the many, many, many bends. I had the ESP off but I doubt it would have been troubled much if it was on, even with the additional power now on tap.

Today's trip to Wakefield was almost exclusively along motorways and again the smooth power delivery of the Rica map was evident - if you didn't know otherwise, you'd think that the car was just as the factory had turned it out. After 190 miles, the fuel gauge was sitting at 50% - a highly unscientific test, I know, but it's pretty much in line with the economy I saw prior to the map. More accurate results, based on actual numbers and some maths, to follow.

Conclusions...for now

Do it. You only live once.

pigapumbu
Feb 25th, 2007, 16:57
sounds good. Looks like you will be enjoying the car alot now. Hope to read more of your observation of the car with the ECU upgrade.

cheers

pukka
Mar 8th, 2007, 19:24
can i ask how much this cost?

Thanks

Paul

MarkE
Mar 8th, 2007, 19:42
£499 + VAT.

Not bad for a stated 28% power / 18% torque hike, IMHO.