PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Electrics : - Dead - no apparent fault

homer timpson
Feb 26th, 2007, 12:25
Wife went to start her 54 plate [11K miles] yesterday and it was totally dead!!

Was able to open the door 1 time only - but entire car was 'dead' therafter - no dash lights/warning lights - nothing. Could not then close doors/open boot - everything dead.

AA came out - [she commandeered my 1999 faiththful S40XS and disappeared off shopping!!] - he got it going with his heavy duty charger, but could find no apparent faults.

Battery was OK - alternator - it was holding charge etc - he couldn't explain it.

Don't see the point taking it to the dealers at this stage with a 'phantom' problem - but has anyone else had a similar one-off scenario?

Homer

pigapumbu
Feb 26th, 2007, 12:37
Haven't had this problem. But there have been a couple of times when I left the light knob on the side-lights position. Then left the car with the side light burning cause there isn't a buzz to tell its ON and keys taken out.

Luciky I didn't leave lights ON for too long so car was able to start. Its easy to forget about these lights. Just wondering if your battery was drained this way and hence could not start car.

Lets see if anyone else here has had the problem you mentioned. I would like to know also.

cheers

homer timpson
Feb 26th, 2007, 13:05
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think the wife ever touches that particular knob - but, there's always a first time :speechless-smiley-2

I run a 1999 S40 and do exactly the opposite - {I was going through a phase of constantly renewing headlamp bulbs} - so I switch to 'side lights' as soon as I get in the car but have to remember to return the switch to the proper position or face the very possibility you describe!!

Can't say for definite if she accidentally moved the switch - but it would explain it. [and I wasn't in her car all week!!].

Regards

Homer

arycoetzee
Apr 20th, 2007, 15:25
Hi all,

drive a V50 2.4i here in South Africa - one night car was also dead, but display have error message "key fault".

AA here could not help with charger, so was towed to nearest dealership - not nice.

shandy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 15:06
I had a similar problem with my V50.
My brother is an auto electrician, so he checked the battery. when the car was at rest, the battery seemed to be showing the correct charge, but when you started it, the charge rate was not consistant, showing abnormal readings.
The car went in to the dealer with this information and the battery was replaced as it was faulty.
There is also a software update for this which i received at the time and a letter was sent to me recently.
Good luck.

S60-MBS
Apr 27th, 2007, 11:53
Hi,

Those symptoms sound very similar to what my 2003 S60 was showing over the last weekend..it was diagnosed as network problem..see post below
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=36052

beasley
Jun 5th, 2007, 19:03
:angry2:I have the same fault
Car parked for 2hours, alarm turned on, on return key opened door ok
When I turned on display read “KEY FAULT”
Lights horn etc OK but electric windows failed
Clicking sound when ignition key in number 1 position
Buzzing sound in engine compartment
Car Completely dead!
RAC called checked car battery and batteries in both of our key fobs
Had to wait for tow to dealer as steering locked
Dealer mechanics baffled still waiting for a diagnosis
Anyone any ideas?

mega_angelic
Jun 5th, 2007, 21:32
I do not know any reason why anyone should want to ever turn off their headlamps, unless they are buying cheep bulbs that do not last long (myself bought a cheep HID gas discharge upgrade kit from ebay for about £200)- lasts about 10-20 times longer than bulbs.

However, if you are the type of person who turns their lights to sidelights only, you can go to volvo and they will dissable the daytime running lights feature free of charge in most dealerships, my sister did this on her S60 becuase shes an old fasioned lass.

then you can turn them to the off position to turn them off and then you can get out without having the parking lights on.

shimon340
Jun 12th, 2007, 14:33
curious... anyone know how this was solved yet?

7050man
Jun 12th, 2007, 20:50
[QUOTE=mega_angelic;247755]I do not know any reason why anyone should want to ever turn off their headlamps, unless they are buying cheep bulbs that do not last long (myself bought a cheep HID gas discharge upgrade kit from ebay for about £200)- lasts about 10-20 times longer than bulbs.

Well, how do you fit an HID kit for £200 and not go around blinding the ongoing traffic, or did this include all the leveling stuff as well?

Pill fairy
Jul 11th, 2007, 23:39
Had the same problem today on my 2006 S40. Opened the door with my remote key put key into ignition - nothing. Everything dead, lights interior lights door locks the lot. Called the RAC he tested the battery OK. He put his heavy duty charger on and hey presto she started. He carried out all tests checked charging rate of my battery and said he could find no fault so he suggested if it happens again to take it to the dealer. Weird.