PDA

View Full Version : Swirl actuator / arm fault

azzledazzle
Jan 20th, 2023, 12:56
Hello all, I was clearing an ABS fault on vida (cracked ABS ring) when I noticed another DTC on there for the swirl actuator - Error codes :

ECM-1870 -Swirl actuator control - Positive drift
ECM-1880 -Swirl actuator control - Faulty signal

I had a look at the actuator arm and although it does appear to be sloppy it is still attached and moving. I disconnected it from the actuator and checked its movement and it does move up and down (or in and out depending what angle your at :rolleyes:)

My first question is: Is there meant to be any resistance when moving the swirl flap arm? as it is incredibly easy to operate and doesnt feel like its attached to anything inside the intake.

Second question is: What are the negatives of disabling the arm and leaving it in the open position? I operated the arm in and out with the engine running and didnt notice any difference, Also, can you just do away with the swirl flaps completely? I have done this on previous cars without issue.

I managed to operate the actuator with vida so I know that side is working fine, I removed it, cleaned it up and cleaned the connections and stuck a cable tie through the arm to tighten it up a little.

I dont know how long this code has been present, there are no warnings on the dash and the car drives no different than it has ever done, plenty of grunt no limp mode etc.

Sorry for the long post, I dont often post that much so I am getting my moneys worth.

Thanks.

EDIT: Please see pics attached, of swirl flap in open and closed position, really effortless to move with my finger, not sure if that is normal or not. Thanks.

allplayandnowork
Jan 24th, 2023, 23:54
Second question is: What are the negatives of disabling the arm and leaving it in the open position? I operated the arm in and out with the engine running and didnt notice any difference, Also, can you just do away with the swirl flaps completely? I have done this on previous cars without issue.

From experience rather than expertise...lMy arm linkage was broken for a year, got it fixed and didn't notice any difference at all, if anything mpg dropped a little

azzledazzle
Jan 25th, 2023, 07:42
Thanks for your reply. My MPG has always been shocking, I haven't noticed it getting any worse.

Since fiddling around with it the other day the code hasn't come back so maybe it was just crud on the connection or something, so I'm not worried about it any more, worse case scenario I'll just have to change the swirl flap, I've seen some videos and it looks within my skill level providing the injectors don't give me a fight.