PDA

View Full Version : Suspension: - Squeaky suspension

AndrewVaughan
Feb 25th, 2023, 09:38
My 2005 XC90 has developed a squeak which I suspect is in the suspension. It's a, similar sound to the squeak you get from tyres on some coated concrete. It's developed over the past 1000km and 2 - 3 weeks. I'm away from home so would like to ride it out until I get home. That's a journey of 1500 km. My question. - does this sound serious or can it wait until I get home?

DickyB V70R
Feb 26th, 2023, 12:42
Hi Andrew, my 90 does this also. Not all the time and only under quite hard breaking.
it seems its quite common. Some people think its the Rubbers on the Subframe Mounts.
It almost like the Rubber gets Dry and squeaks...

You could get under the car and spray some Silicon on all the Mounts etc and see if that improves things.
Hope you find out the cause and let us all know.

DB.

azzledazzle
Feb 26th, 2023, 16:36
Definitely sounds like a tired rubber bush, the silicon spray is a good shout but I would do 1 Bush at a time until the squeak stops that will make it easier to pinpoint which bush is at fault. As for subframe bushes (if it is those) you can buy polyurethane inserts to fill the void and stiffen them up as a cheaper and easier alternative to replacing them. I have them for mine but haven't fitted them yet but I've heard good things from those who have.

DickyB V70R
Feb 26th, 2023, 19:13
As for subframe bushes (if it is those) you can buy polyurethane inserts to fill the void and stiffen them up as a cheaper and easier alternative to replacing them. I have them for mine but haven't fitted them yet but I've heard good things from those who have.

Azzle, where did you get the Poly Inserts from ? They sound good...:cool:

azzledazzle
Feb 26th, 2023, 21:20
Azzle, where did you get the Poly Inserts from ? They sound good...:cool:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185232255229?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=TAkZ4tJvTiK&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=U7tIPZpeSEy&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

These ones are on the cheaper side at £25, there's some powerflex ones at around £70 but I couldn't justify that price. I figured the cheap ones will do for me as I'm a cheap skate and never learn from the "buy cheap buy twice" advice :rolleyes: