PDA

View Full Version : S40 (New) Engine D5 : - Where to check the power steering level?

tigerbalm
Mar 5th, 2007, 23:33
Ok, I'm an idiot. I can't seem to find where to check the power steering levels on my S40 D5! Does anybody know where its located?

robg
Mar 6th, 2007, 18:00
dont quote me, but i think the steering fluid is sealed for life. checkthe manual, i know its in there because i had the same issue when i got my d5.
same goes for auto transmission fluid.
rob

pigapumbu
Mar 6th, 2007, 18:24
Would it be the same location as my T5? if so, try this.

actually ignore my post. I have no idea what I am talking. I went out to the car in the garage and I cant see where the power steering fluid container is either. Sorry.

cheers

4 forty
Mar 6th, 2007, 20:34
p.m. me your e mail address, and i will forward you a picture of where it is situated.

paul

tigerbalm
Mar 6th, 2007, 22:25
dont quote me, but i think the steering fluid is sealed for life. checkthe manual, i know its in there because i had the same issue when i got my d5.
same goes for auto transmission fluid.
rob

Strangely, the manual just show some kind of "generic" volvo engine compartment diagram. Most of the components marked out on it have comments attached to them such as:

"Not on Diesel", "RHD here, LHD there", "Depends on market"

Not much help really! I hope VIDA has better drawings for the dealer engineers!

-- tigerbalm

pigapumbu
Mar 6th, 2007, 22:49
p.m. me your e mail address, and i will forward you a picture of where it is situated.

paul

Why not post a pic here too. I would like to know where it is also. If you don't mind of course. THanks.

robg
Mar 7th, 2007, 17:03
hmmmmmm. Youve got me thinkiong now.
I will have a look tonight under my bonnet and in my manual.

pigapumbu
Mar 7th, 2007, 20:49
hmmmmmm. Youve got me thinkiong now.
I will have a look tonight under my bonnet and in my manual.

How did you get on? cheers

robg
Mar 9th, 2007, 16:42
ok i admit, i forgot to look, but i remembered last night.
Its on page 175 or 185 of the manual i think, plus a location diagram a couple of pages before in the maintenance section.
The fluid bottle is just behind and below the drivers side headlight. There is not cap to top up. The manual says the fluid is sealed for life and does not require changing.
HOWEVER, the manual also says a couple of pages before that the level must be checked regularly, there is no way i can even see the max/min marks let alone read the level because it is so deeply tucked into the endine bay. Question for the dealer i suspect. It could only lose fluid if there was a fault though, these systems cannot burn or use fluid.
Hope this helps abit.
rob

Alan C30
Oct 18th, 2008, 12:18
I spent an age looking for the d**** thing and when I did find it it seems to be a steel/ally can that is as somebody pointed out 'sealed-for-life' though I can only assume if the rack is changed there must be a top up point.

Seems starnge they say in 'idiot-guide' "check regularily" though this may mean once every five years (still regular ! ! ) :-)

Probably a typo left over from previous manuals??

Cheers Alan

Paul Clifton
Oct 19th, 2008, 17:44
The steel/alloy can is actually the pump (electric) the resevoir is a plastic affair on top of this. It can be accessed by removing the o/s headlamp unit and topped up if necessary.

Paul.