PDA

View Full Version : General: - Central locking

davotoula
Mar 13th, 2007, 11:13
A few days ago I entered our xc90 (54 reg) and found the contents of the glove box spread on the passenger seat.

An envelope which had been residing in the side pocket of the door was laying on the floor.

Did I just forget to lock the car the evening before or is there a more nefarious exploit in use?

I was under the impression that the central locks and alarm kick in automatically after some time with no passengers inside.

ianu
Mar 14th, 2007, 20:39
I may be wrong here - but my experience with this has always been if I unlock the car and don't get in (or open a door etc.) it re-locks itself in a matter of minutes. I've never known it to re-lock itself once I've either been in it or had a door open - for example if I'm washing it and it's unlocked on the driveway.
Can anyone else confirm otherwise ??

Cheers
Ian

tj101c70
Mar 14th, 2007, 21:24
ianu, correct, the car can not lock itself (normally) unless you lock with the key or fob, If you accidentally unlock with the fob in your pocket, but do not open the doors etc, the car then with self lock !!

VinceF
Mar 18th, 2007, 22:09
Hi All,
My 850 Estate ('97) has locked itself on two occasions.
1) I unlocked the car using remote but did not get in as I was chatting to a neighbour; a couple of minutes later the car locked itself.
2) My recollectiion is a bit hazy, but I THINK I left the key in the ignition in the off position and doors closed for a few moments whilst I collected some items and put them on the rear seat, closing the door. I returned to the car again a few minutes later and as I approached it locked itself.
I now believe this is the security software working as designed.
Regarding possibility of car unlocking itself; unlikely. It is easy to forget to lock the car if you rely on the remote all the time.

Vince.

square-i's
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:47
The XC90 will re-lock itself after a short time should you use the remote to unlock the car but do not open any doors. Once a door is opened, the car will not automatically re-lock.

I do not think that it is possible, under normal use, to lock your car keys inside the XC90 - however, the 'all doors lock' button (on the driver's side panel under the window controls) will work without the ignition key being inserted. Any fault in this circuit or switch could give rise to some obscure locking problems.

kvw
Apr 10th, 2007, 23:10
mine has just developed a problem where the drivers door immediately locks itself when the button on the remote is pressed to unlock the car:angry2:

anyone come across this or got a remedy?