PDA

View Full Version : General: - Headrests

BFC001
Mar 28th, 2007, 00:17
My wife finds with the shape of the front headrests, i.e curved forward that it is very uncomfortable to drive. She says it pushes her head down and arches her back. I sort of agree abeit ok for me.

she is only 5 foot and i assume this is why there is a problem.

does anyone know of volvo supplying different headrests or re-modelling shape, i.e pushing back somehow. seems very limiting being fixed!!??

mhon72
Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:15
My wife finds with the shape of the front headrests, i.e curved forward that it is very uncomfortable to drive. She says it pushes her head down and arches her back. I sort of agree abeit ok for me.

she is only 5 foot and i assume this is why there is a problem.

does anyone know of volvo supplying different headrests or re-modelling shape, i.e pushing back somehow. seems very limiting being fixed!!??

Unusual. Volvo headrests are designed to be closer to the back of the head for the WHIPS to work safely in the event of an accident.
I have the opposite problem, being tall means I didn't get any support from headrests in other makes of cars. I have to say it's getting better as other manufacturers are designing seats with better whiplash protection.
Anyway, that was a small aside. My initial thought is does your wife have the seatback quite up right?
As she is quite petite I'm guessing she's has a driving postion like a lot of other women where she is very close to the wheel (which frightens me) and steering with her lower arms. And the front edge of the seat cushion is at it's lowest position so they can sit with the knees closer together. As opposed to the more conventional (dare I say, male) seating with the legs splayed open, seat back in a more relaxed postion with the arms straighter so you are steering from the shoulders which is also less tiring.
The more upright seat back postion would cause the headrest to rest further forward and may prevent the WHIPS working properly should she ever need it. My advice is to change the seating position so she is in a more relaxed, reclined a.k.a. "male" posture. It will of course feel unnatural and disconcerting at first being further from the steering wheel. Tell her to stick with it as it does get better and she will be much safer as she won't get a huge faceful of airbag should it ever go off. God forbid she will ever need it to of course.
Good luck with it.