PDA

View Full Version : General: - Has anyone driven a SE Sport yet?

Grant Smith
Mar 31st, 2007, 23:05
I like the idea of an XC90 with the siffer suspension and handling tweaks and wondered if any had tried out or owns a SE Sport they could comment on yet please? £4k+ extra is quite a hike but the handling and trim m just be worth it....

Thanks

Grant

BasilSpinone
Apr 2nd, 2007, 17:40
Ours has been on order since January and its due in May.

its much more of a car like ride than the standard setup and much better in the corners. I found the seats more bucket like and much more comfortable and prefer them to the standard seats we have in our 05 model.

The V8 sport is Truly Outstanding!! It scared the missus so much she wouldn't drive it :D But I couldn't knock the dealer down sufficiently for it to be worth buying at the moment (especially when you consider its residuals in the first year are horrendous when compared to the D5). So the plan is to let the missus have the new D5 sport and for me to take her xc70 for a while, then trade it in for a used XC90 v8 Sport for myself :D

Grant Smith
Apr 2nd, 2007, 22:11
I was lucky enugh to try a D5 Sport today too and loved it. Unfortunately it was a geartronic (I'll be going manual) but the ride was great, corners were so much more stable and the seats felt 'right' when I sat 'in' them rather than 'on' the standard ones. The frilly bits like the good external looks and fancy dials just added to the appeal but it was the handling that one me over. Don't get me wrong, it's still a SUV and doesn't go around corners like a sports car but it's a big improvement. The only thing I noticed was the bumps in the road were more noticable, not such a smooth ride but then that's always the price for stiffer springs.

My verdict, if you like driving you'll love the Sport but if you just want to get from A to B in comfort stick to the standard SE.

timclifford
Apr 4th, 2007, 20:46
I drove one on a short demo in January and it was great. The route did not include twisty roads but the "body roll" was almost non existent and as a result the steering felt sharper.
We bought a second hand SE - if there had been a second hand Sport I would have been tempted.
Whether it is worth the extra really depends on your style of driving and your priorities

bluesnappa
Apr 5th, 2007, 16:31
Have had one since Christmas and really enjoyed it. It is geartronic and I like that, was very unsure before I got it as I had always had manual but I don't think I'll go back to manual after this one. It handles well and goes quickly with plenty of punch when I need it. The V8 and 3.2 were both tried and rejected for the fuel economy, however if I was a lottery winner I would look at the 3.2 again...The V8 that I was able to road test for half a day was fantastic but toooo thirsty for me to fuel up every day. The seats in the sports are worth it as I felt the 3.2 with normal seats were a bit to slippy for me. The sport ones give plenty of support and are comfortable. The wheels on the beast look the part as well. Enjoy choosing and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Here it is: http://www.mark-fuller.co.uk/volvo_page_1.html

Grant Smith
Apr 5th, 2007, 21:26
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback, it's always good to hear from someone who's driven something for more than a test drive like I've had. I love your photo's of the Volvo, you know how to make it look fantastic! How do you find the Black to keep clean? I'd discounted Black in favour of Titanium Grey as I usually Black can be a pain to keep looking nice?

Cheers

Grant

BFC001
Apr 6th, 2007, 09:42
I have an 07 Titanium Grey and although preferring black decided against it because they tend to show every mark and all the dirt.

Very pleased with Titanium Grey, as although I don't clean that often, it still looks great.

bluesnappa
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:34
I Wash it! It is my new car and cost a lot so it is worth putting the hose over it and a quick chamois every two or three days...the alloys need washing to keep them sparkling and I don't see it as a hardship...hell I work for it and it turns heads!

davotoula
Apr 10th, 2007, 09:35
Nice photos!

cx04yww
Apr 25th, 2007, 22:01
Just driven a D5 sport this week for the first time whilst my 55 plate D5 163 bhp car was in for a service. Apart from the bling looks (white piping on the black leather seats, chrom tails pipes etc) it drives great and felt much more powerful than mine. Still a bit of a flat sopt when you slow down at a junction and then put your foot down to pull away. It is a diesel after all though. Seats felt much more supportive but would probably be happy with standard SE with new 185 bhp engine. I didnt think the cornering was that much better than mine just the seats kept your bum on the seat better.

yeoman
Apr 26th, 2007, 19:51
I test drove the XC 90 geartronic Diesel sport yesterday, and I will probably upgrade(when I can afford it) to one.
The ride is still supple even thought the suspension is a bit stiffer.To me it felt juust right!
Incidentally, I have a sneak preview at my local BMW dealer of the new X5( 7 seat version) and I was not impressed.
Test drives will be available from this weekend but I do not think I wil bother
Firstly, It is not a seven seater.The 3rd row seats are utterly useless.Access to them is a nightmare(unless you are a contortionist!!)
The third row seats are also tiny, with absolutely no vision whatsoever.
The car does look aggressive and macho and the the front and middle seats are spacious.

The engne sounds refined but as a family car, the XC90 beats it hands down.